My 600LB Life - What do you thing about the TV show?

Options
xx_christiee
xx_christiee Posts: 34 Member
I have just started re-watching My600lbLife - I have always love this sort of show, Extreme Makeover Weight loss Edition was my favourite - but I have noticed there is a lot of controversy around them all now!

So what do you think of the shows?

My 600LB life
Super fat vs Super skinny
Extreme Weightloss
Biggest loser
etc

Replies

• cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    I recently watched fit to fat to fit - thought it was interesting
  • xx_christiee
    xx_christiee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    I recently watched fit to fat to fit - thought it was interesting

Ooo I've meant to watch that for a while!
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen “How to Look Good Naked”? It’s not always about weight but most episodes have plus size women and they help them dress in the best ways to accentuate their curves. As a plus size woman myself I found it super helpful!
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There is nothing endearing about watching someone get hosed down or be so fat they cannot help themselves to use the bathroom, etc. The fact that people watch it for entertainment says a lot about our society and culture as a whole when being beyond lazy and extremely obese is being celebrated or somehow glorified as "okay."

I’m not 600 pounds, but I can relate to the people in the show. I don’t exercise as much as I should. I binge eat a lot and watch TV for most if not all of the day. I am trying to lose weight but it’s very, very difficult. So have some sympathy for the people in the show. I think a lot of us watch because we can relate. I don’t appreciate you calling it mental illness.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Most of the people on that show do die shortly after filming, because really, although the body is amazing, how long do you think it can last at 600 lbs? (Hint: Not long). The doctor is likely getting paid for filming, so is he really helping them? I doubt he is doing that show for free.

In fact, only 10 of the 137 (?) participants on the show have died, and a couple of those were unfortunately by suicide. There is also a spin-off show featuring past participants and their success at keeping the weight off, getting skin removal surgery, etc.

I've never seen the show "glorify" or normalize morbid obesity. It does rather a graphic job of painting a picture of the health and social nightmare of excessive weight. My understanding of the history behind the show is that Dr.Now was one of the first bariatric surgeons who would even attempt to operate on patients that size and give them a chance at weight loss.

What is striking about the show is how many of these individuals were victims of childhood sexual abuse and extremely dysfunctional parenting.
  • Ebonie_owlwehn
    Ebonie_owlwehn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I’d forgotten all about that show. I loved at the time might go re watch. The other mentioned in the thread I’ve not heard of. I will have see if it’s available watch.
  • emmhawk
    emmhawk Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    ythannah wrote:
    What is striking about the show is how many of these individuals were victims of childhood sexual abuse and extremely dysfunctional parenting.

I think that a lot of people who are obese eat because of trauma, why else would you eat to a point like that? At my heaviest I was over 200 lbs overweight for my height. As a child I had sexual abuse from a family member and I have PTSD because of it. It is very hard to treat PTSD, but once I was diagnosed and came to terms with it, I found that when my PTSD is doing better, I don't want to overeat. But when I am struggling with my PTSD I find that I eat more. PTSD doesn't even need an environmental trigger, it's just random when it will be bad.
  • Vette8828
    Vette8828 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    600 lb life show must pay well. How else can they afford all that food, maybe sponsored by fast food outlets? And the move to Texas for however long it takes to lose enough weight for, surely, expensive surgery. Most are unemployed. Is the US welfare system supporting them? Is it so generous?
  • Vette8828
    Vette8828 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us watch because we can relate. I don’t appreciate you calling it mental illness.[/quote]e t

I watch the shows out of fascination as to where they put all that food and the condition they end up in before the light goes on and they decide they want to lose a few lbs. To gorge on food until one cannot walk, barely breathe, etc. What else can it be called except mental illness?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I watch it occasionally to see if there's any new info to learn about as well as some techniques others use to try to tackle their issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I watched some clips out of curiosity after seeing this thread and was horrified. It seems horribly exploitative to me and feeds hatred and disgust for fat people. And I saw myself reflected in the camera’s judgement as it exposed suffering people’s deepest vulnerabilities, shame, hopelessness, and self-destruction. Won’t be watching.