Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

VR Exercise

Options
I'm sure you've noticed that people are using VR to exercise. Supernatural is popular, along with Beatsaber, among others. Would like to see that option under exercise tab so I can log it correctly.
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    You know you can add a custom exercise, yes?

You do need an initial calorie estimate, but once you input the custom exercise for X minutes, MFP will scale your future entries based on the (different) minutes you put in, and your then-current body weight, so you only have to do the calorie estimate yourself once. That's a little technical, but this is one source of info that uses the same general scheme MFP uses:

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/home?pli=1

(I'd bet different people do the VR exercises at different intensities, so an MFP estimate - which would be "one size fits all" since there isn't a speed like with running or something - is not going to be very precise.)
  • RR0817
    RR0817 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with Supernatural and I love it so much more than going to a gym. Like you I wish they would have a tab that estimates it in some way. My apple watch doesn't even pick it up which makes it hard to gauge how many calories I'm actually burning. I guess what I'm going to start doing is recording my progress after each workout and writing down what supernatural's caloric burn is and then recording as a custom workout in mfp. Hopefully they'll add it in :)
  • Slowsp0ke
    Slowsp0ke Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I play Eleven Table Tennis VR every day (well, almost). 😀 it's extremely realistic, competitive, and, believe it or not, a good cardio workout. On average, I burn approx. 400+ calories an hour. With MFP + ETT, I've lost around 17# since May. All while having a lot of fun.