Hunger Pangs

For my weight loss success, I had to take a good look at my perceptions of hunger pangs. When I analyzed it, I realized that (for me), the onset of hunger pangs isn’t physically painful. They’re uncomfortable, and my brain tries to avoid hunger at all costs. I spent my life trying to avoid even the mildest twang of that feeling, but it wasn’t necessary. When I realized this, I became more tolerant of hunger pangs and unafraid of experiencing them. That was a turning point for me. Everyone is different, and I wonder how everyone else perceives hunger in their bodies.

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited February 2023
    Ayup. I've experienced what everyone has described. It's there in the background. Not much, but it's there. I've found that after a couple of years, it really dissipates. In the beginning, when hunger wasn't there, I was eating at my maintenance level. It actually helped me figure out what my maintenance calories should be. No faint background hunger, I stayed the same. That went on for weeks and weeks, it was not a plateau.

I had to sit with it and surf the urges. I was so used to stoking the fire. I was stacking weight on like a freight train. Some say, you have to sit in the fire so you can break any habit. I don't skip meals and I really look forward to them. Good food fixes everything. Maintenance phase mitigates hunger. It feels good not to be in a deficit.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    I started calling it "that empty feeling." Not as if I'm truly empty, and not like I'm really HUNGRY, but just like I'm not full. It's the complete opposite of the feeling I used to have when I'd eat beyond full. I used to actually enjoy that. I experienced it again about three years ago, and it wasn't comfortable at all anymore. I had gotten to where I even enjoyed the "empty" feeling just a bit, usually when at work and waiting to eat my "breakfast" some time between 10:00 and 11:00.

Today I was actually truly hungry. There was a difference. It's from extra activity the last several days and a bit more deficit. I fed myself healthy things, but not too much, and still felt it. Oddly, I went for a walk of a few miles, and no longer was hungry at all. I'll end the day with a small deficit which really is just a bank to eat a little over some day this week since I'm in maintenance again.
  • NC_Gardener
    NC_Gardener Posts: 20 Member
    My hunger is very often the kind where I'm going to have to lie down :( I make sure to eat something, because it gets uglier the longer I leave it, but man it doesn't help with dieting, that's for sure! I don't even enjoy whatever I have to eat when I feel that way. I feel sick and dizzy and out of it and gross.

I did notice that eating what I did to become 30-35lbs higher than I like fixed it. But it's not a healthy BMI and I like to look thinner, too. And I was continuing to gain weight!

Sometimes just a banana works. I could work fine with that.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I'm a lucky developed-worlder. I'm not even sure I've ever been actually hungry. Appetite, cravings, stomach rumbles when the body expects intake because of habits, yeah, absolutely. Real hunger? Dunno. Certainly I was one of the lucky people who didn't much struggle subjectively with it during weight loss, even when I accidentally ate too little for a few weeks. (Eventually I got weak and fatigued, strong clue I was under-eating . . . well, that and too-fast loss for my own good.)

There have been times when I got fatigued and probably grumpy when doing a lot and eating very little for a period of quite a few hours, and was revived to feeling normal and probably being nicer when I ate something. Maybe that's actual hunger? It's only happened during things like multi-hour days of steady canoeing/portaging on vacation, between fairly moderate meals during the full daytime. Even the "clear liquids" thing before surgery or colonoscopy was more of a challenge to habits, not so much difficult physical hunger perceptions, though I do usually drink clear caloric beverages (sugar!) when allowed during those.

I'm not saying the above would be true of anyone else, nor doubting anyone else's self-account. Experiences are individual. That's just my perception of mine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm a lucky developed-worlder. I'm not even sure I've ever been actually hungry. Appetite, cravings, stomach rumbles when the body expects intake because of habits, yeah, absolutely. Real hunger? Dunno. Certainly I was one of the lucky people who didn't much struggle subjectively with it during weight loss, even when I accidentally ate too little for a few weeks. (Eventually I got weak and fatigued, strong clue I was under-eating . . . well, that and too-fast loss for my own good.)

There have been times when I got fatigued and probably grumpy when doing a lot and eating very little for a period of quite a few hours, and was revived to feeling normal and probably being nicer when I ate something. Maybe that's actual hunger? It's only happened during things like multi-hour days of steady canoeing/portaging on vacation, between fairly moderate meals during the full daytime. Even the "clear liquids" thing before surgery or colonoscopy was more of a challenge to habits, not so much difficult physical hunger perceptions, though I do usually drink clear caloric beverages (sugar!) when allowed during those.

I'm not saying the above would be true of anyone else, nor doubting anyone else's self-account. Experiences are individual. That's just my perception of mine.

For my surgery last Nov, the procedure was delayed a few hours and then went long. I regained consciousness SO HUNGRY. And my throat hurt. And I was itchy. And then they were not going to let me see my partner because by then visiting hours were over. I may have had a meltdown :lol:

The itching persisted a few days, but everything else resolved that night.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    edited February 2023
    This is such an interesting thread and illustrates why MFP is such a valuable resource for understanding how we each perceive and react to the world. Although (or maybe because ?)I recently lost almost 80 lbs it has never occurred to me that anyone would think of hunger as painful or be afraid of it unless they are in a starvation situation. Only because I have been lucky enough not to experience it that way. The only truly unpleasant hunger symptom I have experienced are when I have low blood sugar for some reason, but that has almost never happened to me - I can remember a handful of times during cancer treatments and sometimes before I was about to get sick with some sort of bug that I would have a feeling like I couldn’t control my blood sugar and would get shaky and feel nauseous and light headed if I skipped too many meals. This is an abnormal symptom for people without diabetes. You can read more about it and some factors that cause it here https://www.healthline.com/health/hypoglycemia-without-diabetes#complications But if you regularly experience these sorts of unpleasant symptoms you should probably discuss them with your doctor.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I've really enjoyed reading this thread and have had a lot to muse over. My experiences with hunger are definitely colored by pregnancy and breastfeeding. I learned a lot about this in my last pregnancy, where I put on a LOT of weight, even though I had already lost a lot prior and learned so much. But hunger is a different beast in pregnancy and I was not prepared for it (or I was overconfident.) As @AnnPT77 mentioned, as a person raised in the developed world access to food has never been an issue. I've been able to more than respond to those additional impulses to eat. If I have another baby one day, I plan on remembering to use the math because the math don't lie. 🤪

As might be expected many of my friends are also moms and it is interesting to note how many of us just take for granted that once you have so many kids, you're just inevitably fat. Definitely a body that has given birth is in some ways different than one that hasn't, but I'm skeptical of inevitable fatness. I think it might take a little more work and dedication to stay fit, because weight gain is after all part of the deal, but I consider that for the almost thirteen years I have been "eating for two" more often than not (almost all that time, in fact). So I'm accustomed to a level of food that would be too high in any other circumstance. When I was losing weight after my fifth child, I remember I increased my activity by a LOT as she weaned so I could more or less keep eating as much as I was before she weaned and still lose weight. By then, though, I wasn't dealing with the crazed desire to eat like during pregnancy or in the early postpartum days.
  • ReneBarten
    ReneBarten Posts: 2 Member
    I was listening to a podcast, Science vs, on how the medication Ozempic makes the brain think it's not hungry. Podcast did go into down side as well of taking a medication, but it was enlightening to listen to how our brain and "food noise" aka hunger/cravings can sabotage our weight loss efforts. I lost 50 pounds in one year many years ago it was pretty much controlling portion size, being satisfied with enough food for sustainability, and know the hunger which for the most part was mild after a bit of time was tolerable. Then covid happened! I'm glad to say that I am 1 pound away from my pre-covid weight. I really went on a food and alcohol binder for a couple of years! Gained about 20 pounds! Yikes! Now I'm back to focusing on those key findings. It's all about the hunger game. Control that and I can reach my goal again!
  • TheOlderTheBetter
    TheOlderTheBetter Posts: 9 Member
    I like to wake up a little hungry because I know it that's what it should feel like. Lately I've been going with those morning hunger pangs until 10. I keep busy, have some tea, whatever it takes. However, I can't be hungry at at bedtime or durning the night because I don't sleep well. It gives me a sad awareness of what it might feel like to have to go to bed hungry like so many around the world :'(. If I wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs, I'll have a 4 oz glass of warm skim milk (I know, but I like it) and it that usually takes care of it.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    I too like that late night empty feeling. To me, it's the satisfying feeling of fat leaving body. Funny, but I never have that empty feeling when I get up the next day. 🤔
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    I also have come to aim to go to bed just a little bit hungry. Not starving but not weighed down with food either. If I didn't log for the day and find that as I lay down I'm a little bit hungry, I feel I've done good.
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    I've really enjoyed reading this thread and have had a lot to muse over. My experiences with hunger are definitely colored by pregnancy and breastfeeding. I learned a lot about this in my last pregnancy, where I put on a LOT of weight, even though I had already lost a lot prior and learned so much. But hunger is a different beast in pregnancy and I was not prepared for it (or I was overconfident.) As @AnnPT77 mentioned, as a person raised in the developed world access to food has never been an issue. I've been able to more than respond to those additional impulses to eat. If I have another baby one day, I plan on remembering to use the math because the math don't lie. 🤪

As might be expected many of my friends are also moms and it is interesting to note how many of us just take for granted that once you have so many kids, you're just inevitably fat. Definitely a body that has given birth is in some ways different than one that hasn't, but I'm skeptical of inevitable fatness. I think it might take a little more work and dedication to stay fit, because weight gain is after all part of the deal, but I consider that for the almost thirteen years I have been "eating for two" more often than not (almost all that time, in fact). So I'm accustomed to a level of food that would be too high in any other circumstance. When I was losing weight after my fifth child, I remember I increased my activity by a LOT as she weaned so I could more or less keep eating as much as I was before she weaned and still lose weight. By then, though, I wasn't dealing with the crazed desire to eat like during pregnancy or in the early postpartum days.

I am currently finishing up a weightloss journey with the goal of pregnancy after. I am so nervous about gaining all the weight back. I can't gain all the weight back. I had health issues that resolved after losing all this weight. So I do plan to use mfp to track my calories through the whole pregnancy. I do wish there was an active thread on here for pregnancy weight tracking. But seems like all I've found are dead threads.
  • hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    The longest I've gone without food is 4 days, I wasn't sick i just didn't want to eat and when I thought about eating I felt sick, other than an empty gnaw I didn't notice any other issues, I think ill always really struggle with being able to work out if I'm hungry or if its something else, I have to skip breakfast or my blood sugars spike at noon and the shakes come but other than that my belly rumbles a lil bit whether I'm eating 2000 or 1200 calories, I don't feel the need to eat when it rumbles, prior to starting my health journey I would eat 1 meal a day so basically fasting 23 hours for at least 10 years, again I didn't get any particular hunger cues I just knew I needed to eat at that point of the day, my daughter on the other hand gets very hangry after not eating for 3 or so hours, despite remaining very petite considering calorie intake she gets physical symptoms from hunger pangs and has done since just after puberty
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Kiwi2mfp wrote: »

I am currently finishing up a weightloss journey with the goal of pregnancy after. I am so nervous about gaining all the weight back. I can't gain all the weight back. I had health issues that resolved after losing all this weight. So I do plan to use mfp to track my calories through the whole pregnancy. I do wish there was an active thread on here for pregnancy weight tracking. But seems like all I've found are dead threads.

I'd be happy to support you! I will likely have another baby, heh, but I would like to reach my goal weight first this time which would mean longer spacing than I have previously had if I want to lose at a good rate. My big issue (which is typical for me in pregnancy) is that I get very fatigued and my activity slows way down; even when I began my last pregnancy at a normal BMI I struggled a lot with fatigue. But I still ate like I was walking 15K steps every day, whoops. I got out of the habit of keeping track and wanted to kick myself when I realized just how much more I was eating than I needed to. If you keep your wits about you and continue to pay attention, I think you'll be OK.

If you're curious, for myself I've already mathed out how I'd like it to go next time:
    - Eat at maintenance for weeks 1-12 (I don't have a hard time with this because I'm usually pretty nauseous; it is safe to even lose a little but I wouldn't try to lose on purpose)
    - work up to 250 calories over maintenance for weeks 12-25 (this is usually when I start feeling a little bit hungrier and start to show, but nausea resolves and I feel motivated and active again)
    - work up to 500 calories over maintenance until delivery (due date is 40 weeks) - this would be a gain of 1lb/week which is appropriate for this stage of pregnancy. Towards the end I start feeling more tired except for the bursts of energy like nesting. It's also the level of calories that would be good if you plan on exclusively breastfeeding (though you might need even more; I do. My hunger just overcompensates for this and if I'm not paying attention I will overeat.)

I do think there's something to the idea that our instincts are not designed for a society with overabundance, which is why the idea of "intuitive eating" has never made sense to me. I don't think it's bad to eat socially or celebrate with food, for instance, but if I just "ate when I was hungry" and still had access to plenty of calories, I think I would overeat every time. Doing the math helps me exert my reason over the whole thing.