Building Strength, Loosing Belly

Options
I am very active and in good health. I am "skinny fat". I workout every morning before work. I am have cut calories, and portion sizes. Still can't get my belly trimmed down. My Strength is going up nicely. Just need to keep moving along. It just seems disheartening. Any ideas?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    So, say more. How tall are you, how old, what current weight?

If your goal is to lose a small amount of fat, and gain muscle, then a very small calorie deficit, good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein), and a good progressive strength program faithfully performed are your best bets . . . but results will be a matter of weeks to months and more, not days to weeks.

Patience and persistence may be the best answer. I totally get that that's frustrating, maybe disheartening. The goal is worth the having, though, right? That means a realistic plan with realistic expectations is a good place to be.

Strength gains at first can be pretty fast, but it's neuromuscular adaptation (NMA) - better recruiting and utilizing existing muscle fibers. Mass gain is slower, and is more likely to happen (slowly) after strength gains from NMA are tapering off but you're still challenging yourself. Trying to lose fat fast (big calorie deficit) works against muscle mass gain, though it won't necessarily totally prevent it happening in all circumstances (even more slowly than it would at a small deficit, maintenance calories or surplus).

If you have lots of fat to lose (high BMI), the answer might be different.

Hang in there. If you say more about your strength program, your calorie intake, the questions in my first paragraph, then people might be able to give you more specific feedback.

Best wishes!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. It will happen for you if you continue to watch your calories and continue to exercise. Some people find the belly area to be the last place to lose. You can't pick and choose where the weight tends to stick on you but you can eventually get it to go away. :)
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, height and weight would be beneficial and really a pic is best. Your direction will be determined on how much belly fat you actually have. If you ARE skinny and not that much belly fat sometimes it’s better to add muscle instead of eating in a deficit and getting even skinnier then go back to a Fatloss diet later.

Without stats or a photo it’s hard to say what you should do.
  • JewRob63
    JewRob63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 59, 5' 10" currently I weigh 178.9
    I am active, I am a volunteer Search and Rescue so I really need to be fit.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    OK, so probably not a lot of excess fat to lose, maybe 20-ish pounds at the outside, guessing based on presumption of average build and your "skinny fat" self perception, since no photo?

If so, I'd double down on the advice in my PP, small deficit, good nutrition (especially but not exclusively protein), good progressive lifting program faithfully performed, patience. Maybe 250 calorie deficit (half pound a week weight loss goal), or slower?

From your OP, I thought your goals were maybe more aesthetic than fitness. IMO, being a little overfat isn't generically a big barrier to adequate fitness, so you if you're not seeing a compromise to your current search & rescue performance solely because of current body weight, you could consider eating at maintenance, even - more of a recomposition approach. (I'm biased, though, having spent about a dozen years as a fat age-group athlete with pretty reasonable fitness performance in objective terms . . . while lots more than 20 pounds overfat, in my case.)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Calorie surplus would give you somewhat better odds of muscle gain, but would add fat, which you'd want to lose eventually . . . but that doesn't really sound like what you had in mind.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I really have nothing to add but a little dude humor.

If you want see changes to your musculature, keep working out and "keep your shirt on," it will happen over time.

In the meantime, keep your shirt on! We are all our own worst critics. A little bodyfat has no impact on performance (as @AnnPT77 says). Being ultra-skinny (<10%BF) requires very tight control of your diet and may hurt your stamina (carbs keep the motor running). Not everyone even likes how that looks.

Best of luck and thanks for being a search and rescue worker!
  • walidoudadssi0
    walidoudadssi0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    first you need to have a weight body scale and food scale to track your calories
    and make a nutrition plan based on your needs such as proteins, carbs,fat
    and lower your calories below maintenance level at least 500 calories and measure the progress every week and take pictures of your body cuz sometimes your body is changing and the weight remains the same
    good luck and stick to it
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said there are two ways to get a smaller stomach:

Lose belly fat
    Gain shoulder inches

The second option doesn't impact your belly, but does improve the visual ratio lots of guys are gunning for, with a broader chest/shoulders compared to their midsection. Keep hitting the weights, keep your protein up, keep the faith.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Based on your stats you are *slightly* overweight. If all of your weight is around your mid-section, you need to be in a caloric deficit - which means measuring/tracking accurately. With such a small amount to lose it will be a slow process. A slight calorie deficit of ~250 cal/day will yield about half pound loss per week. That coupled with a structured lifting program will change your proportions as you add muscle to your chest/shoulders/back.

Consistent workouts + a slight deficit + adequate protein + adequate sleep and recovery will get you to your goal. It's just going to take a little time and patience. It's great you are seeing solid strength gains. That is a reason to celebrate in and of itself. Congrats!
  • JewRob63
    JewRob63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Good information.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Has anybody mentioned anterior pelvic tilt? If you spend any significant amount of time sitting - desk job, for example, anterior pelvic tilt is very common. Even with skinny guys or gals, this can cause what looks like a belly. Good way of testing this is to stand up straight, shoulder back and head back, and then clench your butt cheeks and thrust your hips forward (don't do this in public). Does the belly go away? If yes, or it's significantly reduced - then it is in part a posture issue.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Has anybody mentioned anterior pelvic tilt? If you spend any significant amount of time sitting - desk job, for example, anterior pelvic tilt is very common. Even with skinny guys or gals, this can cause what looks like a belly. Good way of testing this is to stand up straight, shoulder back and head back, and then clench your butt cheeks and thrust your hips forward (don't do this in public). Does the belly go away? If yes, or it's significantly reduced - then it is in part a posture issue.

Good point. Forward head position/rounded shoulders - rudely called "nerd neck" because we often get it hunching over screens/keyboards - can do the same thing. The combination of both creates even more belly emphasis.
  • lisaefthymiou
    lisaefthymiou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was all very interesting to read. I am able to apply some of this to my own situation. Thank you!