Does anyone here work 3rd shift?

Options
My husband works 3rd shift, and we're trying to get fit "together".

You would think that working third shift would make his schedule so much different than anyone else's, but actually he basically swaps sleeping time and working time with someone who works 1st shift, so he's spending the same amount of family time with us as someone on first.

He does seem to eat his recommended amount of calories in a day, but unfortunately it's more like two 1,000 calorie meals instead of splitting them up into several small meals. Generally, he eats "breakfast" at 8:30AM just before he goes to bed (which obviously isn't good). Then he wakes up and has "dinner" with us anywhere between 5 and 6:30PM. He gets a paid 20 minute "lunch" while at work at around 3:30AM, IF he takes one at all... I try to at least get him to take leftovers from dinner with him, but it isn't always feasible (sometimes there just aren't leftovers, or he really doesn't want the same thing again a few hours later, etc.).

I was just wondering how those of you on 3rd shift do it. He does actually have the flexibility to eat at his machine whenever he feels like it.

Suggestions?

Replies

• ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    My husband works 3rd shift, and we're trying to get fit "together".

You would think that working third shift would make his schedule so much different than anyone else's, but actually he basically swaps sleeping time and working time with someone who works 1st shift, so he's spending the same amount of family time with us as someone on first.

He does seem to eat his recommended amount of calories in a day, but unfortunately it's more like two 1,000 calorie meals instead of splitting them up into several small meals. Generally, he eats "breakfast" at 8:30AM just before he goes to bed (which obviously isn't good). Then he wakes up and has "dinner" with us anywhere between 5 and 6:30PM. He gets a paid 20 minute "lunch" while at work at around 3:30AM, IF he takes one at all... I try to at least get him to take leftovers from dinner with him, but it isn't always feasible (sometimes there just aren't leftovers, or he really doesn't want the same thing again a few hours later, etc.).

I was just wondering how those of you on 3rd shift do it. He does actually have the flexibility to eat at his machine whenever he feels like it.

Suggestions?
  • indianagranny
    Options
    I do work third shift. It sounds like my pattern - I workout when I get home, eat a big meal and read some information on here. Get up about six - maybe a light workout, eat lighter than what I did. I take my snacks to work with me and walk during my half hour lunch. On the days I am off, I do break it down into smaller meals.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I worked third for quite a while:

1) I ate a soon as I got home 7:30am- light meal (dinner)
    2) Slept -8:30am-3:00pm
    3) 3:30pm meal (breakfast)
    4) work out 5:30pm-6:30pm
    5) lunch: 7:30pm-8:30pm
    6) dinner 1-2 am
    7) snack 4-5 am
  • algiampolo
    Options
    I work 7pm -7am just 14 days a month....

I sleep during the morning/afternoon when I work overnights and the other days, I sleep at night like "normal" people so my eating habits are weird...

normally
    sleep 730am to 2 or 3pm, then have a light snack/breakfast
    workout 430-530pm or so
    dinner between 7 and 8pm
    snack around 2 or 3am

and try to drink lots and lots of water