excersise for a 70 year old

Options
Hi, can anyone suggest exercise for a 70 year old "girl" with two new knees

Replies

• avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    How new? If very new, or even just sorta new, I'd start by asking the doctor that installed the new knees.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the knees but if you want some motivation google Ed Whitlock for what is possible over 70 and even over 80. He is a real inspiration.
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Swimming....
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Try an aqua fit class. Very low impact on your knees.
    Cheers, h.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    All the knee & hip replacement rehabs hit the pool in our area for aquafit classes with a physio. Even athletes and racehorses use it for training - you can tailor it to the intensity and range you need. Its much easier on the joints to do resistance training in the water.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lots of things you can do; walking, biking, swimming, pick activities that you enjoy; in fact there were at least two participants in the 65-69 & 70-74 AGs in the Ottawa River Sprint Duathlon last weekend....I'd probably have a conversation with your PT and/or surgeon before considering anything too high impact
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My hubby is almost 70 and has 2 knee replacements and finds he can happily hike 3-6 miles, swimming is good and he was told by his surgeon that cycling is good too unfortunately his right knee won't bend enough to cycle.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Also include some strength training to your week...gotta keep osteoarthritis away!
  • debbief2152
    debbief2152 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 71, had a hip replacement, about 4 years back, need to do the other one, I exercise walking for 2 days, I can only do a mile a day. I have to rest the next day because I hurt all over. Going to use my neighbors pool this summer or maybe end of March if Texas weather is warm. I love the pool. My body thanks me! Have a good neighbor that lets me use it. I also walk in place inside and do floor exercise. Slowy weight coming down. Lose 10lbs. but staying still for about 3 weeks now. Went to a 1200 food diet here. still going strong. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • michael_hatten
    michael_hatten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have come to appreciate the rowing machine. We have a Concept2 RowErg and I use it regularly. I get a good workout but it's relatively easy on the joints. It gives a whole body exercise (legs, arms, back, core) and you can tune it to your level of fitness.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 67. A 76-year-old friend returned to rowing after hip replacement and a 74-year-old friend returned to rowing after knee replacement.

While both of them had rowed before (for a few years, not life long) before that, it does demonstrate that at least some people with those surgeries can do those movements. The difference between a beginner and an experienced person is learning the correct technique, then starting at lower intensity followed by building up from there to keep it manageable.

We all mostly row boats (the skinny ones like in the Olympics, only ours are slower ;) ), but we do machine row when the river's frozen over in Winter. Our club has had people as old as 80 take learn to row classes and do fine, so being a beginner is achievable way past youth.

I haven't had knee replacements yet, but do have bad knees (torn meniscus, deferring surgery; osteoarthritis). I experimented to see what I could do without making things worse, and found that for me things with limited impact or torque were best, and things with straight-line hinging motions of the knees were most manageable. Consequently, I row and bike a lot, because that's all low-impact, straight-hinging stuff.

I agree with others that pool exercise can be good (I just don't enjoy it), and that it would be ideal to consult with your doctor or ask for a referral to a physical therapist for advice on exercise going forward.
  • titus2cat
    titus2cat Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am 70 and looking at a left knee replacement in June. Only thing I can do that doesnt hurt is the elliptical machine. Phydical therapy has me doing isometric exercises to strengthen quads and hamstrings.
    If you don’t mind, I would love to hear about your surgery/rehab experience plus any tips to make recovery easier.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    If it's still fairly recent make sure you're doing all the physio you're supposed to be doing to get full range of motion back. Physio is so important. And if you got cleared to do everything by your physio or doctor then do what you enjoy most.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Umm... friends, this thread is from 2015.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Umm... friends, this thread is from 2015.

D'oh! :#