Magic Spoon - I just discovered a new love!

Options
They popped up on my IG, and I was curious, so started reading up on them, read a bunch of reviews, and while I balked at the price a bit, on the other hand, I miss cereal and a bowl of "carby" food - reviews were solid and I was feeling okay budget wise.

I've tried 2 of the 6 flavors I ordered so far, and I am seriously impressed. OMG, taste great, don't blow my carb budget, and a serving with a cup of unsweetened almond milk is actually satisfying.

I'm officially hooked! Finds like this are going to make this way of eating a lot easier to maintain in the long term as long as I can afford them.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the review. I was tempted. What flavors did you get?
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Well, it was bound to happen making ultra processed foods for the low carb genre. Low carb versions like atkins, paleo, keto were originally a grass root type of exploration many many years ago for people looking for an alternative that mostly addressed weight and sugar problems and inflammatory health issues and these were based in whole foods predominantly. I suspect like the last company these guys started and sold to a large conglomerate that this will be another big money maker for them.

As a long time low carber I see this as a marketing campaign to generate a lot of money and personally will not be consuming anything made in this fashion, but suspect the general population that look at low carb as a quick fix, it will definitely be looked at as manna from heaven, it also appears they want to recoup all their R&D upfront and quickly judging from the price, a good gig no doubt. Just my opinion.

👏👏👏
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    As a long time low carber I see this as a marketing campaign to generate a lot of money and personally will not be consuming anything made in this fashion, but suspect the general population that look at low carb as a quick fix, it will definitely be looked at as manna from heaven, it also appears they want to recoup all their R&D upfront and quickly judging from the price, a good gig no doubt. Just my opinion.

This is not a product for me but I have to add my 2 cents in here. When you take the typical breakfast cereal that has things like sugar, corn, and oats as the main ingredients, it is really not surprising that the cost of this product is a lot higher than "regular" cereal. Milk protein, allulose, monk fruit, stevia, etc as replacements for grains or sugar are A LOT more expensive - like many times more expensive than their cheap counterparts. I'm actually surprised that they aren't even more $$$ than they are.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    I think all 6 they have, and have tried the cocoa and blueberry muffin so far.
    So don't eat it? I choose to mostly eat and cook whole, fresh, and mostly organic (if in the budget) foods, but don't restrict to 100% as I do supplement and such as well - and sometimes I just want a quick meal that won't blow my diet.
    Not quite sure why the rant, but can totally respect that it's not for everyone.

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    As a long time low carber I see this as a marketing campaign to generate a lot of money and personally will not be consuming anything made in this fashion

I'm looking forward to the conversations amongst OGs when Semaglutide more fully explodes into the public consciousness.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,920 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I think all 6 they have, and have tried the cocoa and blueberry muffin so far.
    So don't eat it? I choose to mostly eat and cook whole, fresh, and mostly organic (if in the budget) foods, but don't restrict to 100% as I do supplement and such as well - and sometimes I just want a quick meal that won't blow my diet.
    Not quite sure why the rant, but can totally respect that it's not for everyone.

It wasn't actually a rant, just an observation. It's very slick, one of the best promotions I've ever seen and because I eat mostly a whole or minimally processed food lifestyle this just fundamentally doesn't qualify as food but I see this product as a slayer in the public domain, much like their cricket business they had and sold previously. These guys are leaders in emerging markets and if they were a publicly traded company I would definitely be an investor. Cheers
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Not something I'd spend my money on, but I certainly have my own 'treats' that I'm hooked on that satisfy and don't feel 'guilty' about consuming....(powdered peanut butter/protein powder/bars/stevia sweetened chocolate).

I'm glad you found something that satisfies that 'thing'. lol!
  • dmegk5
    dmegk5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got individual cups off of Amazon but am not a fan of the texture.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    As a long time low carber I see this as a marketing campaign to generate a lot of money

Is making money not the point in selling products? It only becomes a problem if they start making false claims.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    As a long time low carber I see this as a marketing campaign to generate a lot of money

Is making money not the point in selling products? It only becomes a problem if they start making false claims.

My original point was, low carb is a diet based in whole unprocessed foods, that is it's basic ground roots DNA.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    ... that is it's basic ground roots DNA.

From freewheeling exploration into dogma in one generation. Impressive.

Have some fun Magic Spoon, and if you enjoy it you don't have to admit it. It'll be our guilty secret.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    ... that is it's basic ground roots DNA.

From freewheeling exploration into dogma in one generation. Impressive.

Have some fun Magic Spoon, and if you enjoy it you don't have to admit it. It'll be our guilty secret.

Hahaha. If I'm going to go off the grid and explore the processed wasteland, it won't be foods that almost taste good it will be the locker with the forbidden good stuff. cheers