“Processed” protein - how much is too much?

Options
I’m trying to focus on getting around 100g of protein a day while in a calorie deficit. I’m only one week down but so far so good, however I am conscious that my key source of protein (roughly 60%) comes from a protein bar and protein powder/collagen powder.

I feel like this is perhaps not ideal long term and isn’t my plan, but if I have no digestive issues and am also hitting my carb & fat macros and eating enough fibre, is it okay to source most of my protein from “man made” sources in the short term while I adjust myself to focusing on healthier habits and foods? I find it a lot easier. Please note I don’t eat meat and I do eat legumes, soy, nuts, seeds etc too.

Thank you

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I don’t think there is a particular concern about this health wise. Other than the overall recommendation to keep highly processed foods at a minimum and to prioritise unprocessed foods. I have a high protein target and get at least 50 g a day from protein powder. As that is still less than 10 percent of my overall calories, I’m not too worried.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    While whole foods would be ideal, since protein is essential any way you can get it in where you can maintain it works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,218 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to focus on getting around 100g of protein a day while in a calorie deficit. I’m only one week down but so far so good, however I am conscious that my key source of protein (roughly 60%) comes from a protein bar and protein powder/collagen powder.

I feel like this is perhaps not ideal long term and isn’t my plan, but if I have no digestive issues and am also hitting my carb & fat macros and eating enough fibre, is it okay to source most of my protein from “man made” sources in the short term while I adjust myself to focusing on healthier habits and foods? I find it a lot easier. Please note I don’t eat meat and I do eat legumes, soy, nuts, seeds etc too.

Thank you

I think it's fine to use protein supplements to reach reasonable overall nutrition, especially if the context is transition (working on getting more protein from food), filling out protein goal longer term on the odd day here or there, or getting daily from OK-ish food-sourced protein to a more optimal level.

The one thing I'd point out is that collagen powder per se is not a complete protein. It does not contain all the essential amino acids (EAAs), the ones we need to get from food because our bodies can't manufacture them. Just plain collagen powder lacks tryptophan, specifically.

If your food sources contain ample tryptophan, the collagen you use has added tryptophan, or your other protein supplements are overbalanced with more tryptophan, or the collagen is a small contributor to your overall protein, you may be fine. What I don't know is how much of your total protein is coming from the collagen powder, or the overall dietary context.

Even if there's an issue there, it's not a terrifying "major health damage immediately" kind of thing, but it's a thing to take a look at, since you do seem to value good nutrition.

As you seem to, I do think getting nutrients from food is more ideal, when that's possible - a good thing to work toward. (I could explain why, but I don't think it's too relevant, since you appear to think likewise.)

You don't have to engage with this next if you don't want to at this time. I see the value of revising habits in manageable steps, vs. trying to optimize everything simultaneously (overwhelming!).

I'm curious about the calorie goal within which you're targeting 100g protein daily, and for what current body size. I'm asking in part because we do sometimes see people here who are stressing out pursuing an unnecessarily high protein goal (perhaps one from a source with different assumptions about the source's user population that doesn't match the specific person and their goals). Based on your OP, you're averaging around 40g protein daily from food, 60g from supplements. I see that you're female, and 100g would be reasonable IMO for an average-sized woman, might be a little high for someone more petite than average.

I completely understand that you don't eat meat, and that that can increase the challenge of optimizing protein. (I'm vegetarian, do eat eggs and dairy but not meat or fish. I'd been vegetarian for around 40 years when I came to MFP, quite comfortable with veg nutrition, but did have to give protein some focused attention at first when I reduced calories.)

Like you, I also have a 100g protein minimum daily, for a current height of 5'5" and weight in low 130s. For me, that's about 1g per pound of estimated lean body mass. I'm now in maintenance, eating 1850 calories + exercise calories, and am fairly active. My actual protein intake averages around 115-130g/day. That's generally all food-sourced. I say generally, because I do put a tablespoon of peanut butter powder in my oatmeal for a nice flavor and a bit of protein, and I'm sure some food products I eat occasionally do have pea protein or something on the ingredient list. I don't like modern commercial faux meats, so I don't eat those, either. (I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I never liked meat much!) When I was losing (mostly around 1400-1600 + exercise), I was getting more like the 80s-90s grams as minimum daily, still hitting 100 when possible.

My point is that if and when you're ready to work on getting more food-sourced protein, that's also a thing the Community might be able to help you do.

Best wishes!

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,928 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, but it's pretty well accepted by the general population. cheers.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,129 Member
    Options
    This thread contains a plethora of food choices, including non-meat options, highest in protein.