Daily check in for support and accountability

Options

Replies

• JuneWalks
    JuneWalks Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

@Pamperedlinny - Linda - I'm BMI 38.2 at the mo - wow wouldn't it be good to be a healthy weight... I'm looking forward to that day :-)
    I have had Barb Raveling's books and they are good but just didn't hit the spot for me. I have a coupla Christian books which I will read/re-read in the coming months. A Hunger for God by John piper - that is a really good book which deserves a re-read, and Made to Crave devotional by Lysa Terkeurst (I found Made to Crave really helpful whe I read it years ago).

@Harringtona1 - Anne - Yes I think we all need our own way really! But some books can be encouraging and insightful :-)

@Jaimelynn829 -
    yfytf3qie9zf.gif
    Yes when and what we eat just about sums it up I guess!
    Thankfully I don't have to eat in restaurants very often...
    Hope your WeightWatching goes well :-)

@Ann262 - Ann - Thankfully I don't drink alcohol - most of it I don't like the taste and the stuff I do like just makes me feel sleepy so I can't be bothered with it :-)

@Dogwalker157 - I think I know what you mean about Groundhog day...

AFM (as for me) - NSV - going out in the cold and rain for my walk, but otherwise feeling a bit hopeless on the weight loss front...

bmfe3um005dp.gif Does anyone remember how in the 70s it was unusual to see an obese person? Here's an article about it.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/were-much-thinner-70s-2285612

ok - ttfn - Annie in the UK (GMT)
    f6ggec8m9fbg.gif
    ✫ ¸.•*¨) (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.✫ ¸.•*¨) ✫ ¸.•*¨)✫ (¸.•´ .•´ (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.✫ •*¨) ✫ ¸.•*¨) (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.✫
  • harringtona1
    harringtona1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was just catching up on everyone's really thoughtful posts. Y'all are kind to share so much! That's all. Good night from Florida.
  • dogwalker157
    dogwalker157 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    @June- I just read the article about why we were thinner in the 70's. I have struggled with weight since childhood and remember feeling like the only overweight person back then. Now a majority are considered overweight or obese. I think so much has to do with the overabundance of sweet, salty and high calorie foods. It's everywhere and hard to resist. I've come to realize that I can't have that stuff in the house. Even when I think I'll keep it under control, when I have one of those moments (usually stress or boredom) I will head straight for that snack and way overeat.

I'm starting my second week and feeling pretty good about things. Weekends are always more challenging, but I plan to continue what I have been doing and not look at Saturday and Sunday any differently. My son is coming for the week, and is a good influence so that should help.

Have a great day All, Dianne
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    @JuneWalks Interesting article. There is a lot in play here. In the 70's soda pop was expensive and a treat. With the development of HFC, suddenly the huge bottles of pop and slurpees could be sold cheap! I remember noticing that..thinking "why all of a sudden is that stuff so cheap?" HFC. Then, of course, convenience foods and restaurants impressing customers with HUUUUUGE portions. Those huge portions became normalized in our culture.

In response to that, the diet industry made us fat phobic, carb phobic and afraid of real sugar.

The truth is we need fat, carbs and a little sugar to make things taste good. It is just the outrageous amount of saturated fat and high sugar empty calorie cheap "stuff" we have shoved in our faces at every gas station we need to be wary of.

In any case, day 4 here and I don't weigh in until Tuesday. With just a few days in, I am feeling so much better and sleeping better too! :)
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    I was just catching up on everyone's really thoughtful posts. Y'all are kind to share so much! That's all. Good night from Florida.

I completely agree with statement!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    I can't have that stuff in the house. Even when I think I'll keep it under control, when I have one of those moments (usually stress or boredom) I will head straight for that snack and way overeat.

This is exactly me!! You're feeling good, you're grocery shopping, you see some pre-packaged nuts for 130 calories a pouch, and you think that sounds like a good idea! Then, you have a moment of stress or boredom and the whole box is gone, one package at a time!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    My husband and I went to the Brier yesterday (the Canadian Men's Curling Championships). We left at 7:30 in the morning, watched the morning and afternoon draws and got home around 6:30. So, a bit of a long day. When I got home I read some stuff on MFP but I was too tired to post. And my Fitbit said I got 8,627 steps yesterday, which I don't even know how that is possible! Lunch was chicken Parmesan on a bun with some carrot ginger soup (very good). We shared some fries in the afternoon. Not a beer drinker, so I only had water. ($4.50 at the venue!). Obviously I didn't log my food, but I would say I was in maintenance range, if I had to guess.

Wednesday, the 8th

Logged: Yes
    Under: Yes
    Water: 8 cups
    Exercise: 27 minute walk (271 calories)
    Steps: 10, 270 (I was walking around my house before bed to reach the 10K mark....I was too close not to!)
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @JuneWalks I had to look up the meaning of "moreish". It's exactly what I thought it was from context, but it is just not a word used in Canada. We spell colour with a "u" and we observe Boxing Day, but "moreish" didn't make the journey across the Atlantic!
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,560 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Good morning!!!! Anyone else happy that it’s Friday?

My neighbor, whom I normally go walking with at lunch time, had a birthday on Saturday and it’s raining today…. That means we’re going out to lunch instead. I was already checking out Panda Express nutrition sheet and realized I can get a kids meal without feeling like I’m going overboard at all. For 300 calories I’m going to have some broccoli beef, rice, veg, and apple chips. Plus it’s cheaper than a big plate.
    6qfkmcrif2bn.png

Yesterday I was feeling stressed and annoyed at the whole world. I did end up having a candy bar with my daughter and then potato chips later on…. But I still logged everything, used my food scale to keep my portions in control and still ended my day within my calorie range. I can’t say my fasting blood sugar was the best ever this morning, but it also wasn’t as bad as it could have been. I still got to my Zumba class, my evening snack was a protein shake, and life happens. If I stayed in all my boundaries even during all of that I’m good with it. I feel it just proves to myself that I can do this long term and without all the sliding on my boundaries. I just need to remember to keep them in mind.

Another thing I learned. My view of portion sizes has been changing. When I measured out my serving of chips, it felt like a lot of chips. I used to just sit with the whole bag if I was having a day. Putting a single handful on a very small plate and using the scale made it seem like a lot more.

@harringtona1 I have tried all of the meal kits. I actually really enjoyed SunBasket a lot. Well, I enjoy all of them a lot. My picky eating family didn’t all agree on things so I just made them for myself and ate them for lunches. However, since it was just me eating them I only get one off and on these days.

@dogwalker157 I’ve done that too. It certainly feels like I go in super motivated and then start letting bad habits back in. I told my husband recently that I’ve figured it out… I tend to think I’ve got a handle on it and that I’ll enjoy a month or two on “maintenance” and see how it goes. I never stick to maintenance, mostly because I don’t log in those times. Then I get annoyed when I weigh back in. The only way I’ll stick, even on maintenance, is to log everything, forever. Some people can learn how to eat and not do that but I’ve learned I’m not one of those people. Every single time I mess up it’s because I decide not to log for a few days, which become a few weeks or months, then I have to re-learn the good habits again.

@JuneWalks I’ll have to look up those books when I finish the one I’m on now.

@HASWLRS That sounds like a fun day out and your lunch sounds really tasty.
  • Ann262
    Options

Yesterday I was feeling stressed and annoyed at the whole world. I did end up having a candy bar with my daughter and then potato chips later on…. But I still logged everything, used my food scale to keep my portions in control and still ended my day within my calorie range. I can’t say my fasting blood sugar was the best ever this morning, but it also wasn’t as bad as it could have been. I still got to my Zumba class, my evening snack was a protein shake, and life happens. If I stayed in all my boundaries even during all of that I’m good with it. I feel it just proves to myself that I can do this long term and without all the sliding on my boundaries. I just need to remember to keep them in mind.

@pamperedlinny , this is huge. Normally, if that were me, after eating the candy bar, I would say. “Well, I screwed up today. I might as well start all over tomorrow and, in the meantime, binge on all the off limits foods”. When I do that, I really Saratoga myself. One candy bar and few chips don’t do us in. It is the perfectionist if mindset that does i.

Well done!!

• JuneWalks
    Options
    Hi again everyone!

@Harringtona1 - Anne - Yes it is so nice to have such a lovely group of people for encouragement
    :-)

@Dogwalker157 - Enjoy the week with your son - does he have to come far?

@Ann262 - Ann - Yes interesting how we seem to sleep better when we eat better :-)

@Haswlrs - After that comment I had to look up the origin of moreish and apparently it has been around since 1690!..

@Pamperedlinny - Linda - Yes happy it's Friday! :-)

AFM (as for me) - well hopefully I've learnt this lesson once and for all - one 350g jar of Nutella almost 1886.5 calories, one 400g jar of Sun-Pat smooth peanut butter (which I don't even like very much any more) almost 2572 cals. Total 4458.5 calories equals well over a pound of weight on. Once it's opened it doesn't last long. I am *not* buying these items again!... The food industry is not going to win this battle!

ok - ttfn - Annie in the UK (GMT)
    f6ggec8m9fbg.gif
    ✫ ¸.•*¨) (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.✫ ¸.•*¨) ✫ ¸.•*¨)✫ (¸.•´ .•´ (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.✫ •*¨) ✫ ¸.•*¨) (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.✫

• dogwalker157
    Options
    @pampered- I am starting to come to the same conclusion about logging everything as a way of life. I was thinking this morning how sugar and high density foods are an addiction for me. Unlike other addictions you have to eat, so how can I get past this. I think the answer is, as you said, some people can learn to eat without logging but I too, am not able to do that. Daily logging, along with not having high calorie foods in the house, are changes I am going to have to make if I am to succeed with losing and keeping the weight off for good. One day at a time :)
  • Ann262
    Options
    @JuneWalks OMG Nutella! No, I can't have that in the house. I hate that they market it as a sandwich spread, like peanut butter, because it is more like a frosting!

@dogwalker157 logging is a funny thing. Doing it, I really have learned that indulging in a treat does not ruin "my diet". It isn't one candy bar, on piece of cake or one order of french fries that makes me fat. It is eating ALL THE THINGS in one day that does it. On the other hand, I think logging sometimes makes me too obsessive about food. For now, it seems to working well for me so I am logging.

Yesterday, I tried another recipe from Skinnytaste. Maple Soy glazed salmon. It was yummy! Overall, I am feeling good and I have stayed on track for 4 days straight. Can I make it 5?
  • JuneWalks
    edited March 2023
    Options
    yes logging doesnt stop you eating does it. it does make you realise waht you thougt was fattening stuff isnt so bad and some stuff is much worse than you thiught. i lost a stone or so on whole30 which i only stuck to see if i was intolerant to something. that was december. havent lost anything since really. new plan coming. nice n simple. i do feel i am thinking about it all too much lately. so new plan starts wednesday. track 3 things. no snacks. no sweet foods except fruit. walk. dont change the plan before 31 july. watch the weight come off
    :-) excuse spelling. on phone...
    i have started a list of "ultra palatable" foods and i will not bring them in the house. so far its nutella and peanut butter of which peanut butter is more calorific.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Friday, the 10th

Logged: Up until a point.
    Under: Nope, not at all.
    Water: 10 cups, I think.
    Exercise: Yes, I went for a 33 minute walk in the snow!!
    Steps: 9,777

I went to the grocery store hungry. Yes, I did know better, but I was out "my foods"! Naturally, I bought some things I shouldn't have, and then I ate them, of course! I was out of calories by 4 pm! My husband went curling, so I was home alone. Not starving by any means, but I got into the chips I bought for him, and then it became a free-for-all. Had it not been the case, I would have walked around my house to get to 10K steps, but I had already blown the day. Up a pound on the scales. Today is a new day.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    @JuneWalks I cannot have Nutella in the house...I will eat the whole jar!

@Ann262 That salmon recipe sounds really good. I will have to check out Skinnytaste.
  • JuneWalks
    edited March 2023
    Options
    yes i was just about to say - correction. 1 teaspoon of peanut butter is more calorific than 1 teaspoon of nutella except if the one teaspoon leads to the rest of the jar. :-)
    you have no idea how much better it makes me feel to know i am not the only one
    but that just proves the point that the guy in the book was saying about hyper palatable foods. foods that are made to make you want more...
  • stevie9960
    stevie9960 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hi. I started the free trial about a month ago, thinking that IF would help. It hasn’t. I’m a very busy woman who’s just taken over a restaurant business after a divorce. At age 75, in addition to my other business. To say that the last year has been stressful…complicated, challenging etc. and now responsible for the jobs of 15 people.

Started at 183, up from 172. Despite my chronological age, I’m more in my 50s. This fall the stress increased so I went on Zoloft for depression. Not wanting to prolong, I weaned off but the weight gain was significant. Now I’m 191. Not making time to work out.

IF doesn’t work because my schedule is unpredictable. Plus I forget or ignore food tracking. Ok during the day. Going for sugar at night.

I’d like to join your accountability group. Not just food but exercise. I walk right past my spin bike. Plus 20 extra lbs makes left knee more painful for walking. Used to do 1/2 marathons walking. Now? No way.

Hope I’m posting in the right place.
  • dogwalker157
    Options
    Welcome Stevie- you are in the right place. I give you credit for taking on a restaurant, along with all of the other responsibilities- no wonder you walk past the spin bike!

@Haswlrs- great attitude and something I need to learn if I am going to be successful with this. Today is a new day!
  • JuneWalks
    Options
    welcome. well done for posting. you sound like you've done pretty well to me. you will find a way that works for you :-)