Southern hemisphere winter is coming

Mornings are getting darker, and there's a real early morning chill now. Days are getting shorter and its a race after work to get the walk or run in. I find I increase the intensity of my exercise when there's less daylight and reduce the time im exercising. Gone are the longer, slower walks and runs when it's too hot to go fast! More gym visits to make sure I'm fitting in enough exercise.
Walked past dragon boating this morning and they had a sign saying to come and join in. Think I'll give it a go next Sunday. There were lots of women who looked my age there so it looks like fun.
I'm definitely a sun worshipper, so I'm jealous of all you northern people who are heading into spring and summer!

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited March 2023
    You don't have anything to be jealous of. I haven't seen the sun since Labor Day Weekend, 6 months ago. Spring has sprung a big leak, in many places. Enjoy your boating and gym. Around here, the standard is -40 degrees F below zero, we do stay inside on those days. Spring will arrive on June 21st for about 10 days. Summer hits on July 4th, and winter is back on Labor Day Weekend. So long now. Stay warm.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    The spring in SW UK is basically (usually) a slightly milder but still damp and grey season. I am a keen gardener and I could grow moss professionally as it’s always so blooming grey and damp. A bit of sun would be lovely!

(I do like the longer days though I must admit.)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    FWIW we have snow in the forecast over, at least, the next week. It's been a reasonably mild winter but we've had a lot of snow and I'm ready for spring to arrive. I want to get outside running again (I've turned into a wimp, I used to run outside all winter) and riding my bike.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    edited March 2023
    I empathize, . . . but speaking from Michigan USA, your envy is premature. This was the view from my window moments ago, and we had ice storms last week (with power outages for many; I was lucky), and Winter storm warnings Friday night (got several inches of snow, part of which has melted making mud, but more came last night and it's snowing a little now).
    hb3vjoritjye.jpg
    Soon, maybe. Or maybe not until May/June. Ya never know, around here.

But I understand the sentiment: I'm waiting for on-water rowing and trail cycling season.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Around here, the standard is -40 degrees F below zero, we do stay inside on those days. Spring will arrive on June 21st for about 10 days. Summer hits on July 4th, and winter is back on Labor Day Weekend. So long now. Stay warm.

Where are you? I'm sure it's beautiful and you love it, but I couldn't do it that cold! Hopefully you get some decent 🌞 at some stage.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    The spring in SW UK is basically (usually) a slightly milder but still damp and grey season. I am a keen gardener and I could grow moss professionally as it’s always so blooming grey and damp. A bit of sun would be lovely!

(I do like the longer days though I must admit.)

My son is in England and just posted photos of 6 inches of snow. We may be getting colder here but not that cold.
    My cauliflower and broccoli are just beginning to get heads so i know autumn is nearly here.