What’s a good high protein low carb cereal option?

Options
BobbyGosbee
BobbyGosbee Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I know, cereal with milk is not a protein meal, it’s a carb meal. I don’t often have cereal for breakfast because the milk and cereal is always so carb heavy. I usually go for multigrain cheerios and 1% milk but I can’t help but feel like there is something better out there.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    There's less carbs in whole milk than 1% so not sure why you picked 1% and not quite sure why you want a high protein low carb meal then want a grain product.....a little confusing, maybe a little more detail. There are some lower carb grains but what is your focus, high protein or low carbs, hard to tell really.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    There will be no dissing carbs on my watch! :)

but, if you feel the need to up your protein and still want cereal, there are some specialty cereals out there now (Magic Spoon is one) that are higher protein.

Or eat something else....eggs, meat, fish, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Or perhaps pick a high fiber cereal to at least maximize the benefit of eating it. Fiber One used to be high on the list for fiber but it has been so long since have eaten cereal that might have changed
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    Why are carbs not real meals? Instead of buying sweet colourful cereals you could also mix your own with oats and whatever you mix into them? Use higher fat milk, or greek yogurt or skyr instead? So many options to get in more protein if you're after that. Or if you don't want carbs at all then eat eggs, meat, vegetarian options instead.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Instead of regular cereal, why not do "Overnite Oats?" You tailor it to your likes and dislikes. I add 15g of protein powder to my oats, a chopped apple w skin, blueberries, slivered almonds, chia, cinnamon, oats, and half a cup of water. In the morning I add raspberries on top, mix and eat. So, my mixture is cereal + protein.

There are so many different receipes out there, some add coffee, or chocolate, other nuts, dried fruits, .....
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Aldi has a couple of protein granolas that I like. There’s an oats and dark chocolate, and I think an oats and honey too. I want to say they’re 10 or 12 grams per serving. (I usually just sprinkle it on yogurt instead of eating as a cereal.)

Edit: I just realized you asked for low carb. I’m sure they are not.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I know, cereal with milk is not a protein meal, it’s a carb meal. I don’t often have cereal for breakfast because the milk and cereal is always so carb heavy. I usually go for multigrain cheerios and 1% milk but I can’t help but feel like there is something better out there.

I would seriously question why you've decided carbs are bad. The media hype? Most of it is bull. Can you survive without carbs? Of course. You can also survive with minimal fat despite what the keto fanatics say. Will you thrive on minimal amounts of either? Probably not. If you want to waste your money, buy one of the "keto" marketed cereals out there. But you'd be better off, in my opinion, setting your money on fire and getting the joy of watching it burn. Just eat a regular cereal like cheerios, chex, or whatever whole grain cereal you like.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why you don’t want breakfast to be carb-heavy? It would be easier to give you advice if we knew the reason. Maybe you’re finding that breakfast is the Achilles’ heel in hitting your calorie and macro goals. Maybe you aren’t staying full until lunch time. Also, carbs are good for you. Your brain likes carbs the best.

In any case, there are plenty of ways to get more protein into your breakfast. Switch out cereal for eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Cooked cereals are pretty easy to add protein to, such as mixing in nut butters or protein powder. I also like adding chia seeds to my oatmeal since the fiber is healthy and filling.
  • lulabelbo
    lulabelbo Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don’t think this is lowcarb but it is high protein - Kellogg’s Hi protein chocolate almond cereal. 1 cup=29g carbs, 20 g protein from soy,lentil and pea protein. I can’t taste the chocolate but. I think it must be in there to disguise the plant basedprotein taste. And 1 cup= 240 cal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    This is not low carb or high protein, but because there is a lot of fiber, and protein from the yogurt, it works...but only for two hours, which works for me. I also add some water to thin the yogurt.

I tried many combinations of oats, but to get something I liked that filled me up for longer took about 500 calories.

Normally this time of year I have eggs or rice & beans for breakfast, but since I'm sharing the kitchen (until I move out next month, hooray!) this works better for me for now.

zs57yxunyav6.png