Help! I really want fish and chips!

Options
I really want to break this habbit of having fish and chips every friday! Hubby is always wanting take out especially when we're tired at the end of the week and I won't lie, I want it too lol! I can fit it under my calories but there's so much fat in them! Anyone got any easy, tasty alternative ideas?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    How abotu grilled or broiled fish? Chicken?
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Argh, I have been craving this for days! I say do a workout and have them!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Make your own! You can use panko bread crumbs and dip your favorite fish in egg and then the bread crumbs and then bake them.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Eat the fish, skip the chips. Or, if you have the calories, just eat it.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Ewe!!! Think about all of the fat and sodium and where is it gonna go? Right on your butt and your thighs and your belly! Now who want's that?

Did that help?
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What Scooby said!!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Get some oven chips and a low fat baked fish alternative, you can do it!!!

Last night I had some BBQ fish mini kebabs and 100g of oven chips - in total it came to 199 calories, I couldn't believe it! Only a few chips but oh my Lord they were the best chips I've ever tasted (can you tell it had been a while since chips, lol?!)
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    You could always sub a baked potato for french fries. I always pop the potato in the oven (at 425) for an hour while I go work out. When you get back, it's hot and ready!

As for fish....try buying fresh (or frozen) tilapia filets. They quickly defrost in a bowl of room temp water, brush them with some fat free butter, and sprinkle with pepper or garlic and you can broil them in the oven for about 5 minutes on high. I know it's not the same, but it's a pretty easy meal, and you're really only looking at about 300 calories and super low fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I really want to break this habbit of having fish and chips every friday! Hubby is always wanting take out especially when we're tired at the end of the week and I won't lie, I want it too lol! I can fit it under my calories but there's so much fat in them! Anyone got any easy, tasty alternative ideas?
    Eat them and have a good time with your husband. Part of the reason people gain back a lot of weight is because when they crave something and it's denied, then when someone does break out, they go all out, feel bad and then dump their goals. Fat doesn't make you fat, overeating does.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I honestly agree with (Scoobies87 ) As long we put in our food diary and log it in. We need burn the extra calories durn our work out and extra cardio:):)
  • rsqsquad05
    Options
    kaitecates.com has a yummy baked sweet potatoe fries recipe and baked fish is awesome! I also do potatoes diced and coated in a small amount of olive oil and basil and bake them. Not a great idea for all the time but a better alternative to french fries. :)
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    think about how long you will have to spend working out to burn all of those cals
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Ewe!!! Think about all of the fat and sodium and where is it gonna go? Right on your butt and your thighs and your belly! Now who want's that?

Did that help?
    Not if you're in calorie deficit.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I take Gortons fish filets, cook them and break them up, then eat them like fish tacos(I use tortillas)
  • kpeaches726
    Options
    I agree. Why try to convince yourself not to do something you love? It's only once a week, and if you have saved up the calories, done well all week, why not treat yourself? I just go into binge mode when I try not to eat the foods I love for an extended period of time.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Coat some fish in flour mixed with pepper (not a lot will stay on the fish) then pan fry it in a small amount of oil and have it with either homemade or store bought oven chips and loads of salad. It will still have some crunch to it and you can enjoy it without feeling super guilty!
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with Scoobie! I think I'll be having half a portion of chips in a buttie! That'll fill me up and sort out my chip craving!! I've worked out enough today to deserve it ;-)
  • kpeaches726
    Options
    So true!
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    if you can get it under your calories for the day, do it!! Just go for a walk afterward or something! A treat every once in a while wont make you fall back. How about 1 friday a month?
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    possible ideas (I hear you...I live in probably the only state in the US that has a tradition of a fish fry every friday):

-agree to go every other week or once a month instead of every Friday
    -order broiled fish instead of fried
    -split an order of instead of each getting your own (or agree to share the chips if you both want fish - this should satisfy your craving but force you to eat less because it won't be in front of you)
    -skip the chips and just get the fish (if you want it fried)
    -bake fish at home and broil potatoes in the oven to make your own chips
    -have a salad first and order a smaller amount if you can (usually in Wisconsin we get 3 large pieces of fish per order...when 1 has enough cals to break the bank!)

best of luck to you!