Excess skin issue

Options
I've lost a significant amount of weight and I'm now having issues with excess skin. Unfortunately surgery is not possible (I'm in NZ and trying to get it done is proving difficult). I do quite a lot of exercise, and I'm a real sweater! I'm getting rashes, what look like boils, and smaller pimply spots all across my lower stomach, under my skin 'overhang' and up onto the middle of my stomach. Really itchy and very sore. My Dr gave me antibiotics but they didn't work. It responded to teatree oil briefly, but this is ineffective now. I've tried anti-fungal creams and hydrocortisone. No joy. I wash and dry carefully, immediately after exercise and use new towels every time. I take my underwear off every day as soon as I get home to relieve the pain!
I'm back to the Dr next week but thought in the meantime someone may have a remedy that might work!

Replies

• pinkste78
    pinkste78 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try benadryl anti-itch cream.... Or Neosporin.... I would also say prayer helps.... Lord Jesus, I pray for this person, please help them with their sores, please heal them , I take this mountain, these sores, remove it and cast it into the sea in the name of Jesus , Amen.... Please be with this person, I pray for their salvation if they're not saved, in Jesus name Amen...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    Your potential surgery is starting to sound as medically necessary which is normally accepted. Hopefully you'll sort things out.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're not at goal weight yet, there is still hope

Would you be able to use compression clothing to keep the loose skin from lapping over other skin?

I'm not at goal weight but I don't think my goal weight is going to happen! I've been at my current weight for over two years now, and I'm beginning to accept that this is it for now.
    I walk, run and do strength training, plus I bike to work.

I do use compression wear. It's the only thing that keeps everything together. I thought at first it might have been causing the problem, but it makes no difference-the issue still happens when I wear "normal" underwear, so I've gone back to my compression knickers!
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    pinkste78 wrote: »
    Try benadryl anti-itch cream.... Or Neosporin.... I would also say prayer helps.... Lord Jesus, I pray for this person, please help them with their sores, please heal them , I take this mountain, these sores, remove it and cast it into the sea in the name of Jesus , Amen.... Please be with this person, I pray for their salvation if they're not saved, in Jesus name Amen...

Thanks.

I'll definitely give the benadryl a try.
    And prayers are always welcomed.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your potential surgery is starting to sound as medically necessary which is normally accepted. Hopefully you'll sort things out.

Yeah I've taken photos every time it's happened and documented it all. Unfortunately I'm way down on any list of priorities...but I'm working my way through everything that needs to be done. I'd just like it to go away. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    There are other countries you can get it done as long as you have the money to pay up front.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jen3frg22
    jen3frg22 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've used hydrogen peroxide to help with irritated areas.
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I’m originally from NZ but live in the UK now. Just a thought, would you go to Europe for the surgery? It’s FAR cheaper over this way. I went to Lithuania and the clinic was amazing. Lots of brits go to Turkey but you really need to do your research. If you were paying for the surgery in NZ, you’d probably get it cheaper this side of the world including the flights. Just maybe worth an option to look into?
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,191 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Though yours sounds more severe than mine, I have this problem in my abdominal apron area. If I don't monitor it carefully I end up with a painful rash, which a couple times has turned into small sores when I wasn't able to clear it up quickly.

To try and prevent it I use Gold Bond medicated powder in that area after each shower. If I get sweaty in that area between showers I try to wash and reapply the powder asap. That seems to work pretty well for me.

When I do get the rash extra strength zinc ointment (e.g. diaper rash cream) seems to clear it up pretty quickly. When small sores developed I used Neosporin to heal them.

I hope you are able to get it taken care of soon. Good luck!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    Try a stick of Body Glide.

It looks like a stick deodorant, no scent, no “white streaks”, and does wonders for chafing. Maybe it would help with this?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    And, as @AnnPT77 mentioned, I’m several years into this, and excess skin still shrinking. Just keep hanging in there. 😘