When running which do you dread more?

Options
the steep hill or the low grade?

I decided this morning I dread the low grade more because it plays with my head. My body says "we're going uphill and this is tougher" but my head says "look, it's all but flat, which means it should be EASY."

Replies

• wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i love hills gives me something to push up but flats well if I ever start walking I'll be on a flat section and normally bored hehehe x
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I definitely dread the low grade more. They take far too long, and I can't just "power through it." When I come to a hill, I can just give it an extra burst of energy, and then recover at a slightly slower pace; the low grade takes a lot of pacing, endurance, and mental strength. Some days that's just too much. :-)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Low grade. There were quite a few in my last race and they kicked my *kitten*. They just seemed to go on forever. I'd rather have a steep hill so I can see it, complete it and move on.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    i dread uphill but it feels good when i reach the top n i didnt stop
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I do hike a lot! Give me a long, low grade any day! I love steady, moderate climbs that go on for a few miles. I dread super-steep climbs, even when they're short. But, I probably dread steep downhills more than anything.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I run nothing but low grade hills they are high hills but some are long...and they are killer- but they make you strong quick! So I like them!
    I have one steep hill I use for a hill run...fun but killer.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You know it really does not matter because once I am in the zone I am in it!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When running my goal is to pwn the course and make it my *****. I listen to aggressive music. As such... hills do not scare me. They are but obstacles that I will mow over.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This is actually a hard question for me. When I see a hill, I take it as a challenge. When I run on low grades, I reach deep down inside of myself, and push it as hard as I can. It's like a challenge. The feeling of dread never happens, unless I have an injury.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    definately dread the steep grades the most, shorten stride and push.... uggg...
  • missys99
    missys99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I definitely dread the low grade more. They take far too long, and I can't just "power through it." When I come to a hill, I can just give it an extra burst of energy, and then recover at a slightly slower pace; the low grade takes a lot of pacing, endurance, and mental strength. Some days that's just too much. :-)
    AGREED!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    When I look at a steep hill I think "BRING IT!!" I have a monster hill with a low grade that leads into another monster hill, that's a challenge. However, the last mile of my 5K is a low grade with about 10% flat and about half way through I start thinking "why is this hard, it looks so flat."
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hills? What hills?

Seriously though, I prefer the long low grade as these I can focus on just ignoring. I simply can't ignore a monster steep hill though and just have to suck down a breath and change my stride to accommodate (high knees, on the toes, lots of arm motion).

Just build to the point where you can ignore the hills. We have a 2km hill that is a regular part of our run and yeah, we slow down, but we don't stop moving and we just keep churning. Stride control, breath control, good form.

Now other hills just don't matter much :)

Every sucky hill in training is a gift on race day, right?

S
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I see what you are saying. Because when I see a hill I think ok this is going to be rough and I expect it but when I see a long flat straightaway my mind says hey this should be easy so then its a mental warfare because its not easy and I can't grasp the concept of why!
    Maybe we need to altar our thinking somehow.
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    I am "fortunate" enough to live in a very hilly area. I have completely forgotten what it's like to run on the flat!
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Low grade. THE worst. It always feels like it's going on forever..
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    As much as I train on hills I should not dread them, but I do. However, I love the feeling once I reach the top.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I never train hills in the first place. I play sports on a level, flat playing field, so why train something of no particular use? Same reason why I don't really bike, swim, and don't even get me started with ellipticals :P