A juicy opinion 🥕

Options
Angebiba
Angebiba Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I’m not against juicing but I’m just letting u know that although juicing does have a lot of vitamins it’s not the most nutritious thing. Even though these vitamins are super beneficial to the body it is not as nutritious as eating the food in its natural form. This is because it separates the fibers from the food leaving u with the sugar, water, and vitamins. Fibers help break down ur food and solidify ur 💩 making it really important in your daily diet. In worst case scenario it can lead to diabetes due to the excessive amount of sugar. Whether or not your for or against juicing is up to you, but for me I’m sticking to the eating part of it.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to see the correlation to diabetes from people juicing. Probably doesn't exist, but I get your point that eating the whole plant is the better bet for a persons overall health.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Maybe post on the 'Debate' category?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I used to juice. Got headaches, didn't feel full. I may have been adding protein powder, but don't really recall after all this time.

After watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" after much debate about it here on MFP, I decided to give it a try again, but this time made smoothies in my food processor, so kept the fiber. I also added fat and protein powder. I did this for years during the warmer months. I grew kale and swiss chard for my lunch smoothies, which also had banana, strawberry, plain PP, chia seeds, and an egg. Sometimes I had two per day - my breakfast smoothie had coffee, chocolate PP, chia seeds, and coconut shreds. I eventually became unable to tolerate the stevia in my chocolate PP smoothie, and got sick of PP and kale in general, and stopped.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    This is just an intuitive guess, so maybe way off, but it would seem to me that the benefits of juicing might be best for people who are trying to gain weight, because you get the calories and some of the micronutrients but not the bulk of the food that would make you feel (as) full.

I've never really found juice or liquid food substitutes like smoothies or shakes satisfying. (Well, the super fatty ice cream variety on occasion does really hit the spot.)

I think the sugar in homemade juice, especially for those who do it seriously, is likely much lower than buying commercially prepared juice, and that those who do it are likely paying close attention to the rest of their nutrition.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    About 15 years ago, I invested in a Greenstar and juiced everyday. It was quite the laborious thing - the cleaning of all the parts wasn't fun lol! I spent a fortune (I'm sure) on produce. I would go to the Farmer Market every weekend and buy bags of celery/cucumbers/ginger/apples/greens (which is what I'd do each morning). I also went to my corner health food store every once in a while for a shot of wheatgrass. It really did taste all good and of course it was very nutritious, but later decided I was really wasting all the valuable fiber and was most likely consuming was too much sugar.

I've made a few juices since then and love them. Better than a coffee in the morning lol!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,027 Member
    Options
    Well I am neither for or against juicing - it isnt a simple yes or no question to me.

I think they have a place for some people as PART of an overall nutritious diet - not your only intake.
    Obviously allowing for the calories within if you are trying to lose weight or counting calories in maitenance
    and obviously being aware of the sugar content if you are diabetic or have some other reason to be mindful of sugar intake.

Me personally - I do not do juicing - cant be bothered more than anything and dont want to get another kitchen gadget

I occasionally buy a juicy from a cafe or such like.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I once went on a trip in a place where the local custom was to serve juice to guests. I was drinking 3-4 juices a day without noticing it. By the second day, I felt so sick. Upset stomach, run down, headache, the works. Long story short, juice is fine in moderation, juicing as a health practice is not good for you.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I love using my vitamix for green juices - it keeps the pulp. Agree that the pulp has a lot of added nutritional benefits.

With typical juicers which separate the pulp/ you can save the pulp and use for soup or in other recipes.

I like celery juice in the morning.. dunno why but it gives me a lil pep. 🤷🏼‍♀️