Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    IB4ieat20bananasadayandlost120poundsin1month
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Another issue is eating fruit in isolation. Carbohydrates should rarely, if ever be eaten in isolation due to how fast they convert into sugar. When you choose to eat fruit always do so accompanied by some fat and/or protein source such, nuts or a protein shake are great examples.

In closing, I am not saying that fruit consumption is bad, quite the contrary. Fruit is nature’s once and a while snack. It should be treated as the dessert of health foods and should be eaten as often as you consumed deserts before you decided to become knowledgeable and disciplined with your eating habits.

^^this ~Well put~
    Two key points about consuming fruit.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Avoiding fruit is a terrible idea.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Okay.......so what do I believe? I've been eating a lot of fruit because I thought it was good for me. I usually eat two plums and a nectarine and maybe a peach every day. Is that too much? Even if it is, I KNOW it's better than what I was eating before... :(
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A piece of hand fruit is about 80 calories. That's really not enough to worry about. Now, I did lnow a guy who was a fruititarian and lived mainly on honeydew. But he was skinny. And had a terrible, terrible toupee.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This topic has totally confused me...some say eat fruit some day don't....It is in our food pryamid...recommended by Dr. Oz...I just think it depends on the person and moderation!!
  • knetterk
    Options
    Ya I agree. In the diet I have been following I do not eat fruits past 2:00pm so I have time in the day to metablolize and also burn!!!
    I Think of it this way Fruit====== Natures Candy!!!!! I'd rather grab an apple than a snickers.....
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    A piece of hand fruit is about 80 calories. That's really not enough to worry about. Now, I did lnow a guy who was a fruititarian and lived mainly on honeydew. But he was skinny. And had a terrible, terrible toupee.

LOL! Thanks for that image!
  • GISFWCoachChris
    Options
    Freezing berries is always a great option to preserve their freshness.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    eat fruit that's available growing fresh locally, that'll restrict many of us to a couple of months a year.
  • LindseyRoot
    Options
    Thank you! i really enjoy reading informational stuff like this...when it comes to health and nutrition...well im a dumb dumb. I am happy to say that when i eat fruit it is usually in my protein shake!(i guess i am doing something right without even knowing) I had NO IDEA about the breakdown of pre sliced fruit :/
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

That's right fruit may be the reason that you can't get past that plateau. Simply put, fruit is comprised primarily of fructose, a simple sugar, fiber, and vitamins. The issue with fruit is not the amount of calories that we get from it, but the quality of them. The sugars (fructose) found in fruits convert almost immediately into simple sugar within the body. This translates into elevated levels of insulin within the body which many of us know puts our body into fat storing mode rather than the fat burning we are looking for.

Why do you think this matters in an overall caloric deficit? Are you aware that DNL ONLY occurs during a (rather large) carb overfeeding?

Things get even worse when fruit is separated from its fiber or is breached (separated from its protective skin covering more than 5 minutes before consumption). Guess why? Digestion! That's right before the food even hits your tongue the molecules in the fruit are bombarded by oxygen, which begins the decomposition/digestion process. Although refrigeration slows the process of oxidation a very little (due to lack of air flow, not temperature), by the time you consume those pre-peeled apple slices most of the fructose in the apples has converted to a simpler sugar molecule than fructose- sucrose! That's right, essentially table sugar. Juices are even worse!

Oh the hilarity. Sucrose is comprised of fructose and glucose, yet it's somehow a "simpler" molecule??
    Another issue is eating fruit in isolation. Carbohydrates should rarely, if ever be eaten in isolation due to how fast they convert into sugar. When you choose to eat fruit always do so accompanied by some fat and/or protein source such, nuts or a protein shake are great examples.

Again, irrelevant in an negative caloric balance.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I love fruit.

Just wanted to mention that I'm having a yard sale this weekend. Going to use this as an opportunity to advertise it.

About the author:
    GasMasterFlash
    Manager of a Yard Sale Anytown, USA
    Certified:
    Repeated Yard Sale Visitor
    Yard Sale Coach
    Thrift Store Coach
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    theres nothing wrong with fruits if eaten in right amounts. if you eat 100 oranges a day then don't be surprised to get fat. always the key is MODERATION

I'm totally with you - although whenever I reach a plateau, I try to switch both my diet and my exercise up a bit.

If you eat 100 oranges, nevermind the sugar overload-- you are simply amazing and need to go on Oprah.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I love fruit.

Just wanted to mention that I'm having a yard sale this weekend. Going to use this as an opportunity to advertise it.

About the author:
    GasMasterFlash
    Certified:
    Yard Sale Coach
    Thrift Store Coach

You have quite an extensive list of credentials. I believe in your yard salesmanship.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Worrying about small-scale crap like this is a futile and often dangerous endeavor for the majority.

If you're eating in a calorie deficit, doing some training, and consuming appropriate macronutrients, fat oxidation will exceed fat storage, period.

In short, trying to micromanage the acute processes that happen after you eat that white rice or piece of toast or *GASP* A BANANA, is just plain mental *kitten* for lack of a better way to put it.

Long term balance of fat oxidation and fat storage will determine whether or not you gain or lose fat over time and this is all that matters. Focus on your total intake, get off your *kitten*, and WIN.

Lastly:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Lastly #2: Eat your fruit. It's good for you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I love fruit.

About the author:
    GasMasterFlash
    Certified:
    Yard Sale Coach
    Thrift Store Coach

^ So much win here.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It’s always best to eat fruits alone and on an empty stomach.

Fruits don’t take a lot of time to digest. Normally, they leave your stomach within 30 minutes and move along into your small intestine.

When you eat fruits with proteins or starches, which take several hours to digest, the fruit is held up in your stomach and begins to ferment.

Fermentation in the stomach not only causes poor assimilation of nutrients from the other foods you eat, but worse, the process of fermentation itself creates a sugar feast for pathogenic yeast like candida in your gut to feed off of.

Oh *kitten*....I just ate watermelon AND steak......I'm screwed.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Fruit is okay. Cheeseburgers are okay.

Lady Homebrewer - 3yrs
    MFP Smarty-pants and sometimes food logger
    Also, boobs.