Meal prep

Options
Good morning. How do you feel about meal planning at the beginning of each day or even the night prior?

Replies

• MarciLytle
    MarciLytle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel like this is what keeps me on track. I usually plan out the night before what im eating for the next day. And i plan out on the weekend what meals will be for the week and prep a bunch of the food ahead of time. That way when im having a craving i already have pre-portioned snacks.
  • drjeff0609
    drjeff0609 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually plan things out the night before and adjust as needed.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I stay on track when I have healthy meals ready to eat. I’ve been building a freezer stock of individually frozen meals and soups, and I usually put together a couple of veggie and grain and protein salad-y things when I get home from the store with a produce haul. It’s almost like a new hobby—to turn my fridge into a healthy takeout store!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I usually check the fridge the night before and log possibilities for tomorrow. I often start something at night for the next day, like take something out to thaw, or make broth for soup, or bake 2 potatoes, 1 to eat tonight, one for soup tomorrow.
    It keeps me from going through the drive-thru or grabbing something at the deli if I KNOW there's something waiting at home.
  • AGLake
    AGLake Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do plan for meals, but very vaguely, regarding what’s in the fridge and cupboard. Until it’s obvious I have to do a market run. Once there, I plan to purchase only manageable foods and beverages. I particularly don’t immediately repurchase something I , mistakenly and unfortunately, binged on. Right now that would be almond butter. I also only go to those familiar grocery stores where I know they sell the stuff I need. This may change in the future, but that’s how it is for now for this currently hot overwater.
    Have a lovely week, everyone! 👍✌️
  • Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I only buy healthy things I won't binge on and keep the fridge and freezer stocked. I also vaguely plan based on what I have. If I MUST binge, I buy just one of the item and split it with my husband, like a pint of ice cream or lays potato chips.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    How do I feel about meal planning in the morning, or the night before?

I feel like it's the perfect strategy for some people, but that for me it's antithetical to my personality and my impulsive tendencies. I eat pretty consistent breakfasts, because I'm near-comatose cognitively for a long time after I wake up, so repetition is easy (and comforting). After that, I'm much less structured, don't even always eat the same number of meals/snacks daily, and choose them more in the moment. I keep certain foods I like stocked in my fridge/pantry, but mix them up in varied ways. Sometimes I even change my mind about what a meal is part way through fixing it. It works fine, for me - did during weight loss, ditto now in long-term maintenance.

I think personalization of tactics is an important factor in success. Each of us is an individual with different preferences, strengths, challenges, and more. Our weight management strategy needs to work for us. No one cookie-cutter approach universally works for everyone.

If planning/prepping appeals to you, seems like it might help you, why not try it? Other people's tips in this thread can help you give it a whirl. If it makes weight management easier for you (after a fair trial to work out the kinks), keep that approach.

If it doesn't work out for you, don't feel that you've failed: It would just be that that's not the perfect approach for you. Detailed planning is not the only possible approach that can work. Don't let the fact that others find it ideal keep you from trying some other approach.

Best wishes!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    i log my food for the day in the morning then my goal is to eat everything on my list. it’s a more positive experience where the goal is to eat it all…. vs try not to eat.

and there’s always chocolate! i just had two chunky chips ahoy cookies.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love prepared meals, reduces temptation. I work Mon amd Tues and have weds off , so that's a prep day for Thursday and Friday.i work Thursday and Friday.
    Saturday off and Sunday prep day for Monday and tue.

I have the time to prepare healthy homemade meals, counting calories and portion sizes. Sometimes even freeze meals so extra prep for other days when I don't have time.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    We have a set 5 week, 5 meals per week, menu that is the default for dinner and lunch the next day for my partner and I. Leaves enough room for improvisation while still removing a lot of decision making day to day, and we always know what should
    be in the pantry. This isn’t a weight loss strategy btw, just a life hack.

Personally I have 2 breakfasts I switch between (generally weekday vs weekend) and I plan my afternoon treat the day before or in the morning. I have a pretty set weekly routine for my workouts and I look that over on Sundays for the week ahead, taking into account any unusually activities that need to be acccomodated.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I mostly only cook once a week, if that. That pretty much takes care of meal planning until whatever I made is gone.
  • Mischante
    Mischante Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I work 12 hour nights 3-4 days of the week so I prep what I am taking with me to work in the morning before I go to sleep. For instance today I am having grilled talipia and a spring mix garden salad (tomatoes, cucumber, peas, mushroom and green onion). I use Bolthouse farms dressing. 3 tbsp only has 53 calories. On my nights off I usually cook something for the family that will last 2 nights that is balanced and yummy.
  • StaciInGa
    StaciInGa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I *like* to meal plan on the weekend for the M-F to come. That way I can go to the grocery store and get everything lined up. Sometimes I get busy, or Hubs & I don't sit down and plan it out. Like this week...

I do sometimes prep/plan my work lunches. (M-F office job.) Tonight Hubs & I are on our own for dinner. Meaning he is planning to eat taco meat leftovers and I'm making a small batch of chili which will be my dinner tonight and my lunch for the next 2 days.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast every morning: homemade muffin, Greek yoghurt, and berries. In the summer sometimes I'll switch it up and make a smoothie.

When I was working full time I used Sunday as my prep day for lunches. In the cooler months I'd make a big pot of soup and in the warmer months I'd make a huge salad. In the mornings I'd just have to grab a container of soup or salad, and add some protein, like a can of tuna, leftover chicken, hard boiled eggs, etc.

I always planned dinner as I drank my morning coffee. I then logged my food for the day (but I was okay with making a few changes on the fly).

This routine worked well for me and I was able to lose 90 pounds. Then I retired, lost my routine, and I'm now working on losing 19 pounds that I recently gained back. Evidently I'm one of those people who do better with structure!

@csplatt I love your idea of trying to eat everything you've logged, making it a positive 🙂
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    i like variety of choice, so I like to shop, batch prep and have on hand various choices (think a sandwich or salad bar approach to having snack foods and veggies on hand, ready to dish up/reheat & eat). for dinners, we tend to 'batch cook' enough to last 2 or 3 nights, so cook those up 2 or 3 times a week.

i found that if I pre-track - i tend to significantly change my mind so much that I was doing double the work - so, now I track as I dish (unless I already know the foods and portions.) If I don't need to check the tracker, i will snap a picture or jot a note on paper, then post it in later when I get back on the computer.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I find the more I prep, the less likely it is that I eat mindlessly. I try to prep for several days if I can. A nice side benefit of this is I can shop what is on sale and by doing so cut back on costs for food.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I sincerely wish I had the personality type to meal prep or plan! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told myself it’s what I need to do…but it’s just not ever going to be me.

I’m impulsive and contrary - if I do pre-plan it’s a sure fire way for me to go off my calorie target. Knowing what I ‘have’ to eat makes me not want whatever it is…so I rebel by eating something entirely different!

Fortunately, I’ve been tracking calories for so long that I’m intuitively pretty much on point - if I want a lunch of 300 cals, for example, I can ‘wing it’ as I put stuff together and come out +\- 10 calories of the target I have in mind.

I’m vegetarian and my husband/family are not - so I cook separate meals every day. I do batch cook quite a lot, both for myself and for the family. Much easier to make a recipe for 4 and freeze the other 3 portions than try to quarter a recipe to serve a single portion. Means I have plenty of ‘no effort’ meals on hand. If I’m cooking a complex meal for the family I can defrost a quick, healthy option for myself - and vice versa…I have quick options for the family for the days I want to spend more time and effort on cooking for myself.

Basically, my meal planning runs strictly around what room there is in the freezer at any given point! I go through cycles of trying to use up stuff to make space so I can fill it up again! 😂
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For me, the main effort of cooking has always been the choosing and deciding. It's mentally draining to factor in cost, flavor preference, ingredient needs, and cooking time, so my partner and I actually made it a formal weekly chore to do a meal plan and grocery order. It honestly evened up some of the emotional labor in the household to recognize that meal planning (separate from cooking) is a genuine skill.

As for the actual plans, I like variety too much for formal prep or batch cooking. So our plans are mostly informed by what's on sale, what we have a lot of in the freezer, whether we saw an interesting recipe. I always leave at least one day for leftovers, too. Since there are only two of us, I generally have one portion of dinner for lunch the next day, and it tends to work out well.

As for calorie tracking, I have a white board over the prep counter, and weigh stuff as it gets prepped for the pot. If I'm in any way nervous that I'm going to run up against a limit, I get it logged before it hits my plate so I know the appropriate serving size.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Most days, I eat two meals taken between 10am and 6pm and have a rough plan the night before. If I have a full breakfast: eggs, buttered toast, hash browns and bacon; then I plan for a lighter dinner - perhaps green beans, broiled fish, mushrooms and a salad. Conversely, If I plan for a higher calorie dinner such as half a homemade pizza or cheesy quesadillas, I'll have only homemade yogurt topped with berries or a veggie omelet for breakfast. So most of my meal planning involves matching up two meals that will meet my daily calorie goal.