I've been type two diabetic for 20+ years. My doctor has just eliminated 100% of my medications!!!

Options
johnnyr860
johnnyr860 Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2023 in Success Stories
I will be 34 in April. Over 20 years ago I struggled with "pre-diabetes." I was a teenager and diabetes runs in my family. "This is your doctor's office calling. Your results came back. You are now a type two diabetic." I fell into depression. Lost and gained 30+ lbs within 2 months. My endocrine would say: "Why do you even come here? Your A1c is always through the roof and you weigh more each time!" My A1c was at 12.6. I was hitting the 300-400 range daily for blood sugars. Somedays even higher than that! Now my numbers range from 80-160 on a daily basis.

Since January I have lost 30 lbs by working out for two hours a day 6 days a week. I have cut out bread, rice, and sugar from my diet, I went to my endocrine yesterday and my A1C went from 12.6 to 7.5!! She said in all her years as an endocrine, she has never seen a patient with such drastic improvement so fast. She took me off 100% of my medications. I left and cried my eyes out in my car. You are never too old to fix your life! What you may believe is not possible IS possible with the right mindset and adjustments. Don't give up. For those with diabetes, it may have its ups and downs but should never define you as a person it is just a part of us.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story! Heartfelt congratulations! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,346 Member
    Options
    That is a fantastic testament!! Congratulations and keep up the good work.
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • lacylucy1935
    lacylucy1935 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    WOW so glad for you! What an inspiration to others, keep up the great work!
  • RobbinH75
    RobbinH75 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! That is amazing news for you! You are right, we are never too old to turn our health around :)
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Fantastic news! Health is an ongoing journey and you are rocking it! (Although I'm a little jealous; I'm not off my meds yet. ) :smile:
  • johnnyr860
    Options
    jonni82014 wrote: »
    Thank you for your inspiring, words of success. I am an advocate of good health. I have always believed that dis-ease and conditions of the body “can” be reversed. It takes a lot of work mentally, spiritually and physically. :) I am a breast cancer survivor of 32years. You words have validated my belief. As you stated what you believe not possible IS possible

Sorry for the delayed response. I had a very busy day yesterday. I congratulate you too on your journey and I thank you for the kind words. Breast cancer is no joke and I am sorry to hear you had to deal with that. I truly believe like that Kelly Clarkson song that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I know if I can do it anyone can. You are also here testifying to the power of faith and good health. Wishing you nothing but the best of success and health always 😊
  • johnnyr860
    Options
    Fantastic news! Health is an ongoing journey and you are rocking it! (Although I'm a little jealous; I'm not off my meds yet. ) :smile:

Hang in there. It took me years to finally get this far but I know if I can do it anyone can. They say rome was not built in a day so I just remind myself that every step I take is one step closer to my goal. I am at 7.5 A1C which is still considered diabetic so I still have to be very cautious and careful here but the goal is to get my A1C even lower than that. I know you will do great and I hope someday you can have that success of being off your medications. Wishing you nothing but the best in your health and journey 😊
  • johnnyr860
    Options
    Thank you all for the kind replies. Sorry, I took so long to reply as I had a very busy day yesterday. 7.5 is still considered diabetic so I still need to monitor myself and keep in check. The goal is to lower my A1C even lower than that. I would like to be in the 5 range which I know is possible. I have a long way to go but I am not stopping here and I feel good about my progress so far.
  • LilithReigns
    LilithReigns Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Struggling with this now, this gives me hope.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! To me, these are the very best kinds of success stories, the ones where someone changes the course of some health condition(s) to the point of being able to drop meds, improve quality of life.

Speaking as someone nearly twice your current age, there's a future Johnny, the guy you will eventually become, who will have a much better, happier, healthier life - and be grateful for it - because of these positive changes that you're strong enough and smart enough to be making now. (I wish past Ann had been equally smart, not stayed overweight until 59-60, but later is better than never, and you're right, we're never too old!)

Wishing you continuing success, and betting you'll achieve it!
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You have done the hard work and now you get to reap the rewards! You should be able to get your A1C to 4.5 by continuing to skip the carbs. If you hit a 4.5 you will have killed your insulin resistance to be able to sparingly enjoy carbs from time to time. Good job!
  • PravaSagitta
    PravaSagitta Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your inspiring, words of success. I am an advocate of good health. I have always believed that dis-ease and conditions of the body “can” be reversed. It takes a lot of work mentally, spiritually and physically. :) I am a breast cancer survivor of 32years. You words have validated my belief. As you stated what you believe not possible IS possible

Very nice sentiment, but once you have diabetes, it's for life, it cannot be cured. But OP is managing her diabetes beautifully for sure! And congrats on beating cancer!
  • garylamon
    garylamon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keto, low carb and carnivore reverses type 2 in many people, congratulations on your success! I went from an A1C of 12.4 to 5.1 at last check ip...my doctor was very happy with it.
  • CatMom8
    CatMom8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Holy cow that's amazing! Good for you!!!! You just added years to your life.
  • CatMom8
    CatMom8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Very nice sentiment, but once you have diabetes, it's for life, it cannot be cured. But OP is managing her diabetes beautifully for sure! And congrats on beating cancer!

IDK. I think of it as the DM being in remission.
  • deejaygetsfit
    deejaygetsfit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You did it! I truly understand and am trying to get my A1C under control so this is very inspiring. Mine is currently at 6.9 and I am hoping that my next doctor’s appointment shows it decreasing. Diabetes and hypertension run in both sides of my family so I am fighting hard, but you are proving that it can be managed.
  • Inspiredambition
    Inspiredambition Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thats wonderful! You have a reason to keep on keeping on. I, too am trying to get off meds. This post is so motivating!!!
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Great news! And great job getting your A1c down so fast. Made me laugh a little when you said "you are never too old" when you are still quite young- but you will now have so much better quality of life. At 44 I feel a ton better than I did at 34, because in the intervening time I got down to a much healthier weight as well. You really have done a wonderful thing for yourself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!