Herb and spice mixes for chicken and veggies

RainbowMage
RainbowMage Posts: 5 Member
I find myself in a bit of a cooking rut as of late. I like to meal prep a one-skillet dish over the weekend and eat that dish for lunches all week. I have a rotation of about 5-6 recipes that I make all the time, but I think I need some more. Does anyone have any good herb and spice mixes? My kitchen is well stocked with all sorts of herbs and spices, both common and unusual, so feel free to post anything. I do not keep premade spice mixes though since I prefer to make my own. I'd prefer recipes for chicken that are low in salt, but recipes for other meats are fine too. My go-to veggies are onions, bell peppers (any color), zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms. I will also do broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and tomatoes, it's just none of my current recipes make use of them. I'm not picky about spices and herbs, but my heat tolerance is mid level (I can handle 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper in a dish at most). So without further ado, show me some recipes!
Tagged:

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    This is one of my favorite seasoning blends. It was originally used in a seafood stew and I have since found its a good flavor combination for other things as well. I mostly use it for shrimp, fish, and curries..
    I make it in a quadruple batch and put in a shaker jar.

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
    1 teaspoons dried thyme
    2 garlic cloves, the equivalent in dried is about 1/2 teaspoon maybe less if your garlic is really strong.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,871 Member
    Considering you make your own spice blends, all of these can be used with chicken or any indigent for that matter. And a quick google will give you a few variations to make. Cheers
    • Ras el Hanout
    • Zason
    • Tandoori
    • Berbere
    • Garam Masala
    • Creole
    • Za'atar
    • Jerk
    • Hawayil

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    What about sauces, like soy or honey?

The recipe I'm making tonight:

chicken, diced

Sauce:
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1 tbsp cornstarch
    1 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp soy
    1 tbsp vinegar
    1/4 tsp cayenne

Heat skillet over high heat. Cook diced chicken, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp powdered ginger until chicken is done (3-4 minutes). Add diced red bell pepper, cook 1 more minute.

Add sauce and 1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts, stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with sliced green onions. Serve over bed of rice.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    My go to chicken recipe:

Brown an onion or two and some garlic in a small dash of olive oil, add 3 chopped red bell peppers, add a cup of brown rice and a tin of peeled tomatoes (+ a squirt of ketchup if you like), a bit of water and cook for about 40 minutes. Half way through add diced chicken (thighs or breasts). Add saffron, salt, pepper and any spices you'd like (ras el hanout - herbes de provence or plain oregano depending on mood).
  • RainbowMage
    RainbowMage Posts: 5 Member
    Considering you make your own spice blends, all of these can be used with chicken or any indigent for that matter. And a quick google will give you a few variations to make. Cheers
    • Ras el Hanout
    • Zason
    • Tandoori
    • Berbere
    • Garam Masala
    • Creole
    • Za'atar
    • Jerk
    • Hawayil

I haven't heard of many of these, I'll have to look them up! Thank you!
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    I usually make a chilli or curry in bulk so I can eat it throughout the week or put it in the freezer for a quick lunch / dinner.
    Easy chicken and veg curry.
    Fry large diced yellow onion,1 red (bell) pepper
    Add 2/3 cloves diced garlic
    Add 1 tbsp tomato puree ( paste)
    Tsp ginger, tbsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp turmeric, half tsp chilli flakes ( add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper if you like heat )
    Add 1lb diced chicken breast or thigh ( breast is lower in fat )
    When chicken is cooked stir in big bag fresh baby spinach
    Stir in Greek yoghurt to your taste

You can use or replace any veg in this curry and make it as spicy as you like - I eat it with broccoli and naan because I'm not a fan of rice
    Sometimes sweet potato is a nice addition.

• Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Sorry thats 1 tsp garam masala :)