How did you get to your first pullup

Options
Doug_T
Doug_T Posts: 148 Member
I have been working for a while on getting to my first pullup.
I do back work 2 times a week (PPL split)
It consists of...
Deadhangs/scapula raises
kneeling lat pulldowns
Assisted pullups (barbell on the quat rack feet on the floor)
and Bent over rows.
I also often end the day with core.
Any thoughts on something I can do to get myself there quicker? I've started on negative pullups but I'm still dropping pretty fast.
Tagged:

Replies

• Zak045
    Zak045 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For any exercise you need progressive overload to make gains and enough time to recover.
    If you are unable to do unassisted pull-ups, have you tried banded pull-ups? Find the band that causes you to fail around rep 8-10 reps. Next time add 1/2 more reps, then move to a band that has less resistance. Rinse and repeat until you have gained enough strength to no longer use bands and achieve an unassisted pull-up. Good luck!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    What you call assisted pullups are actually called inverted rows. Keep doing those. Keep doing the negatives.

Are you carrying a lot of fat? Lose some of that and it'll get easier.

For everything, it's about progression. Are you progressing with the barbell rows and inverted pullups? Are you adding reps? Adding sets? Adding holds at the top of the inverted rows, raising your feet, etc.? How have you progressed with those compared to say three months ago?

What rep range are you using? Lower reps around 3-6 range will build more strength than higher reps.

I'm closer to 55 than 50 and I'm up to 7 pullups or 11 chinups at 220 pounds. Back days for me (upper body every four days) are pullups plus either barbell row or tbar row.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,810 Member
    Options
    If you're carrying excess fat, losing some will help the most. Inverted rows and doing slow negatives will be the best training methods. If you can't pull up, just start at the top by standing on something and go down as slow as possible and repeat.
  • Doug_T
    Doug_T Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What you call assisted pullups are actually called inverted rows. Keep doing those. Keep doing the negatives.

Are you carrying a lot of fat? Lose some of that and it'll get easier.

For everything, it's about progression. Are you progressing with the barbell rows and inverted pullups? Are you adding reps? Adding sets? Adding holds at the top of the inverted rows, raising your feet, etc.? How have you progressed with those compared to say three months ago?

What rep range are you using? Lower reps around 3-6 range will build more strength than higher reps.

I'm closer to 55 than 50 and I'm up to 7 pullups or 11 chinups at 220 pounds. Back days for me (upper body every four days) are pullups plus either barbell row or tbar row.

I'll definitely try the lower rep ranges, see if that gets me there.
    Progressing well with inverted rows and barbell rows. I've gone from 65 lb to now 115 on the barbell row. Was sticking in the 8-12 rep range after warm up then loading more through 6 total sets (3 underhand close grip 3 overhand wide grip)
    One issue as I do anything with a pullup motion (assisted, kneeling lat pull down, negatives) I am starting to feel small pops on the outside of my shoulders. With negatives, I do one and I'm toast. Feel my strength drop fast.
    I am progressing though. When I do assisted (machine) I am able to drop the counter weight lower and lower every few weeks. Mainly using this to track progress. I am also able to hold a deadhang or scapula raise for 25 seconds now. This was around 5 seconds 3 months ago.
    Also yes definitely carrying extra fat. I'm at 23.5 % body fat so I'm starting my cut over the next 12 weeks then checking again.
    I hope by the end I'll finally get my damn chin over that bar.
  • Crystalr489
    Crystalr489 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was that i started with negatives. Everyday i would hang on the pullup bar, and overtime i was able to hang for longer. Eventually i started using a resistance bands pullups twice a week.
    Over time i was able to do one pullup by myself. Still keeping the pullups routine to twice a week, i dedicated one day to bodyweight pullup and one day to resistance bands pullups. That seemed to help me.