Losing last bit of stomach/chest fat

Options
Yooo, i been working out/dieting for abt 3 months now, have lost about 30 lbs. I wasn’t huge or fat fat but i was chunky weighing about 195 maybe…i’m 165 now. definitely notice a difference, a lot more confident in my upper back and arms but i feel stuck in a place where the last bit of chunkiness in my stomach(mainly below the belly button) won’t budge😭 any suggestions, also, could not eating enough calories be a bad thing for losing fat? i’m a 19 y/o guy and try to eat as little calories as possible but i’m startin to get a lot hungrier 💀 maybe eat 1000-1500 a day sometimes less tbh

Replies

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You can't target fat loss. Sadly lol.

Eating between 1000-1500 is extremely low. Be very careful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Takes more than 3 months to lose a good amount of body fat to the point you're in lower double digits. Do you exercise?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PravaSagitta
    PravaSagitta Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You need to eat food to lose weight properly. And how your body stores fat isn't good or bad, it just is. Most everyone has a bit of fat on their lower abdomen. Look up tdee calculator and find out your tdee based on sedentary, subtract 500 to lose 1 lb, 1000 to lose 2 lbs per week. Hit your protein macros, the rest can fall into place (you can become more specific as you get further into your personal goals). Protein keeps you feeling fuller longer.

If you're not already, look into strength training. You can't spot reduce, but growing muscle, it'll show through more and make those fat deposits look smaller. Do not be afraid of "women" lifts (I see a lot of men get hung up on upper body and forgo their lower body).

I hope all of this helps. Remember to treat your body right, feed it properly and you'll see it flourish. Starvation is not it.

ETA: 5x5 program is wonderful for beginners, and it's free.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    At your stats that’s a very aggressive loss. That last little bit of fat is the hardest. I would suggest to review your training program. There’s a good chance that you need to add muscle. There are some good programs out there that are proven. With such an aggressive loss there’s a good chance you lost muscle along with fat. It’s probably time to reverse diet along with the proper training focusing on muscle gain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Yooo, i been working out/dieting for abt 3 months now, have lost about 30 lbs. I wasn’t huge or fat fat but i was chunky weighing about 195 maybe…i’m 165 now. definitely notice a difference, a lot more confident in my upper back and arms but i feel stuck in a place where the last bit of chunkiness in my stomach(mainly below the belly button) won’t budge😭 any suggestions, also, could not eating enough calories be a bad thing for losing fat? i’m a 19 y/o guy and try to eat as little calories as possible but i’m startin to get a lot hungrier 💀 maybe eat 1000-1500 a day sometimes less tbh

How tall are you?

Not eating enough calories is definitely a bad thing. As a male, you should be eating at least 1500 calories, and more than that if you are not very very short AND sedentary.

Many of the other posts mentioned strength training/weight lifting/gaining muscle. This should indeed give you the body aesthetic you desire.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    I'll be more direct: You lost weight too fast for your starting weight. That holds the possibility of bigger snap-back in hunger/satiation hormones. Stop trying to lose fast. Maybe even take a break and maintain your current weight for a month or so. Consider this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

We don't know how tall you are, so we don't know what 165 means on your body. Yes, different people will have more or less body fat at any given weight (and the same height) depending on build, but also depending on body composition (how much muscle vs. how much fat, loosely).

It's dead common for people who've lost weight not to see themselves clearly after loss (maybe especially after fast loss) and still think they're fat when they're not. (I'm not saying you're anorexic, but anorexics do routinely think they're fat. That same cognitive distortion happens to many/most of us, just not to that pathological degree. Brains are weird.) All of this is tougher when you're a young person.

Many of us here think it's a bad idea to lose faster than 0.5-1% of current weight per week (with a bias toward 0.5% if not severely obese), and a bad idea cut calories by more than about 20% of your daily needs (i.e., TDEE). Some think it should be even slower than that for the last few pounds, where you're at now.

From your starting point, 0.5% would've been just under a pound a week. You've been more than twice that, sounds like. That was not a great idea.

I don't know what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, i.e., total calorie burn) might be, but if you're average height (5'10"), we'd expect it to be at least 2200 calories even before considering exercise calories, i.e., that many calories just sitting around. You're eating half of that, or less. That's not a great idea either.

As someone else said, one of the many consequences of that not-great idea is that it's likely you've lost more muscle than necessary while losing fat. That was not a great idea for looking good, or for health/fitness.

You're lucky that you're young: That will probably limit bad consequences (health-wise) for that too-aggressive weight loss. Maybe you won't even have hair thinning, or other appearance consequences, if you're lucky.

What you should do now:

* Eat enough calories to maintain your current weight for a while (diet break), ideally for a month or more.
    * Follow a good, professionally designed progressive strength training (mass gain) program faithfully.
    * Get overall good nutrition, especially enough protein, but also some good fats and plenty of veggies/fruits. Waaaay plenty of veggies/fruits.
    * Get some cardiovascular exercise, but don't overdo total exercise load, and eat enough to fuel it (maintain weight).

In a month or so, reassess. Ask your doctor or some neutral *expert* person (like a trusted, experienced sports coach) about your body fat level. If you still have fat to lose:

* Eat at most 250 calories per day fewer than your maintenance calories to slowly lose the fat.
    * Keep up the lifting program.
    * Keep up the good nutrition.
    * Keep up the CV exercise.
    * Don't lose weight faster than half a pound a week, tops. Slower is fine, better even, but it takes patience.

You'd even be fine (maybe best), I suspect, just continuing to maintain your current weight or even go for a tiny weight gain rate, and keep up the workout routine and nutrition. Over time, as you add muscle, the remaining body fat can sloooowwwly fuel the gains alongside your nutritional intake.

You're at a prime age to do this right, make some great gains (especially as a young male). Right now, you're not going about this is a good way. Make an investment in your future self. Do smart things now.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 for excellent, thorough advice

@ammarello42 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻for listening , doll.

What often happens when people have rapid, self flagellating kind of weight loss, is a snap-back rebound and weight gain.

Whoa there, lil pony! You didn’t know any better.

Allow yourself more food, settle in , develop and keep the good bits of new habits you’re learning, discard the others.

We don’t want to see you back in five months or five years, posting “back again”.

I’m old as dirt, female, and several inches shorter than you, and I eat twice what you do. Your body needs fuel.

You might also consider searching “body dysmorphia” on this forums. It’s a real thing, at any age.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the comments, i’m roughly 5’10 maybe ‘11, not HUGELY active but i do work and go to the gym about 5-6 times a week. Do my weight lifting, i push myself to try and lift as heavily as i can (within reason ofc, still able to do 8-12 reps for 3 sets last one till failure) on my exercises and try to burn at least 250 calories in cardio every time i’m in there if not more. I’m not interested in losing any more weight necessarily, just body fat bc i feel like i’m at the ideal weight if not less for my age already.i’m aware the stomach is basically the last thing to go😂 my goals right now is to build muscle and lose the stomach. i make abt 2 protein shakes a day(i use iso100) will also throw a lil powder in sum oatmeal or pancakes if i make them, i use fairlife milk as my milk for everything. i also have pure protein protein bars that after reading these replies will eat once every time i’m in the gym for some energy and extra protein, if i can get something that’s sugarless to replace what i used to use i will(syrup, ketchup, etc.) cuz most of the stuff taste the same tbh so why not, it’s crazy how much sugar is in everything. My initial thoughts when starting was just eat as little calories as possible w/out starving myself and hit the gym like crazy, now after reading these replies and other things, it’s to still hit the gym like i do but not worry as much about how much i eat, maybe 2k - 2.5k calories a day but still keep eating healthier items with not as much sugar and a lot of protein

I underestimated you. I didn't think you'd be willing to give up weight loss (calorie deficit), even though that's ideal IMO in your case.

If I can be a cranky granny for a moment (I'm old enough!): Many 19-year-olds we see here are not as smart as you are, and aren't interested in boring old patient persistence . . . even though patient persistence is what leads to success. I get it, I was 19 once: A year seems like a long, long time, and 3-5 years? FuhGeddaBoutIt.

Congratulations on committing to investing what it takes to reach long-term success, an excellent future. I wish I'd been that smart at your age. I'd be in a better spot now, at 67 - not that I'm complaining, since I'm alive, independent, functional, and actually pretty athletic for a li'l ol' lady. ;)

P.S. Eat your veggies and fruits, too. You need micronutrients and fiber, not just protein, and veggies/fruits are the best way to get micros/fiber, vs. using supplements. Taking pills/supplements is just not the same benefit. Actually, if you can get your protein more from food, not so reliant on supplements, that'd be good, too. But it's fine to use protein supplements if you need to.

P.P.S. Sugar isn't the devil. If you don't like it, that's fine, but honestly, there's not very much added sugar in things like ketchup or spaghetti sauce in normal amounts, even though people freak out about the Evil Hidden Sugarzzz. I use a no-sweetener ketchup (I love ketchup, don't like icky-sweet foods, more so than that I avoid sugar). It has 1g sugar (mostly from the tomatoes), 10 calories per tablespoon total. Regular Heinz ketchup lists 4g sugar, and 20 calories per tablespoon. Unless you almost drink the stuff from the bottle, the extra sugar and extra calories aren't any kind of huge health risk, realistically.