Do runners get more face wrinkles??

Ive been doing a lot of research and have found several articles stating that people who run, especially long distance, get more face wrinkles. Accoring to the claim.. the body moves up and down so much.. that the skin on the face also moves... causing a breaking of collagen (sp?) leading to saggier skin. In addittion to the skin wobble.. runners who run outside expose themseleves to the outdoor elements (wind, sun etc) which can also do a number on the skin...

Do you think this is true?

Replies

• shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Naomi Campbell the super model said that running and jumping jacks are what keep her looking younger because of that movement. I can't wait to see the answer to this.
  • I take a protein shake that is high in amino acids and it help tighten the skin. Really helps especially when you are dropping weight.
  • I take a protein shake that is high in amino acids and it help tighten the skin. Really helps especially when you are dropping weight.

Which one do you use?
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    I think it would be mainly the sun....but I'm no expert :blushing:
  • It seems logical. ;[
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    I really think that the benefits that running gives you far outweights the worry of more wrinkles. I'd rather by healthy and wrinkly then stagnant and smooth.
  • Yes, I do think runners have more wrinkles - based on my experience. I work with a variety of athletes and the outdoor athletes (including runners) always have the roughest faces of the lot. I have no theard of the collagen breakdown and would disagree based on the fact that even my most active indoor athletes do not have the same advanced facial aging.

The sun exposure alone is enough to do sever skin damage to runners. I still play outdoors, I am just very respectful of the sun. In the game of sun versus you, the goddess sun ALWAYS wins! : )
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Maybe those runners skimp on sunscreen
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    bump
  • I run, I had face skin issues, I now use lotions, ie. metro gel, lotion, and sun block lotion. I now look better and younger. so, yes on the skin elements.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    what kind of articles? media or peer review scientific articles?
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 99 Member
    I certainly have wrinkles, and I run :)

Let's see...fit and wrinkled or fat and smooth...I know which side I'd vote for.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    there's always botox...
  • KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    I'd rather run and have face wrinkles than not run and have dimples on my a**!

Seriously though I have not noticed more wrinkles since I started losing weight and running. I run 4 days a week and average 25 miles per week during training. I try hard to take care of my skin and always use sunscreen when outdoors.
  • Yes, it's the sun damage that does it, not the "jostling." Wear sunscreen and a hat with a brim to protect your face and you should be fine.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    It is from air resistance because they run so fast all the time. It blows the skin back and stretches it.

(not really)
  • i sure hope not. but ive been running off and on since 2000 and so far no issues
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    I think it would be mainly the sun....but I'm no expert :blushing:

I would agree with this. Sun damage is THE leading cause of aging in healthy people.

Wear your sunscreen, people!!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    I run in the dark and have been running for 2 to 3ish years .. How old do you think I AM? j/k but I do look younger but I don't get much sum because I might burst into flames if I did. But I have very few wrinkles ..think it has more to do with heredity and skin elasticity ;-)
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    It's the sun, like people are saying. The sun. It shines outside. If you don't want to be wrinkly, use a good sunscreen or get on a treadmill. I love running in the sunshine with my sunscreen on. Makes me smell like I'm on vacation at the beach :)