Have you ran a 5k when you thought it was impossible?

Options
2»

Replies

• John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    My 5km race is a week from today! So excited! I think I'm gonna beat my goal of 30 minutes.

27 minutes 54 seconds!

Congratulations @JaysFan82 ! 🏃‍♂️💨💨💨👍
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    My 5km race is a week from today! So excited! I think I'm gonna beat my goal of 30 minutes.

27 minutes 54 seconds!

Yay! You beat your goal by quite a lot: Good show!
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    So thankful for this thread! Now, I haven’t ran since elementary school. I still wouldn’t say that I necessarily run, more of a jog. I’m almost down 80 lbs, I’m 45, and decided I wanted to set a goal of a 5k. I had been using a c25k app for about a month then read this thread. Thankful!! I’m now doing it outside instead of on the treadmill. Man, what a difference that makes! I completely started the app over. LOL but each day is getting better!
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I took back to running about a year ago. I definitely prefer running outside to treadmill running. There are days were it seems impossible to finish a 5k and days when it seems the running gods are smiling upon you and you can go much farther. I think this is normal. (I dont have asthma or physical aliment, but my head plays games with me :wink: )

I am a slow runner, my speed has improved a little, but nothing drastic.

I too remember the school days of having to run the presidential mile as fast as you can. What a buzz kill for the sport. I hated running and didn't consider running until my mid-late 40's. Now in mid 50's and love it more and more.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I remember the days of having to run the presidential mile as fast as you can. What a buzz kill for the sport. I hated running and didn't consider running until my mid-late 40's. Now in mid 50's and love it more and more.

OMG this this this.

The stress and shame of the President’s Physical Fitness led me to hate sports of all kinds.

I was severely anemic, winded easily, and got debilitating side stitches in the first hundred yards. It hurt to have other kids laugh or rolls their eyes, and teachers acting like you didn’t try.

And those freaking chin-ups. I never did a chin-up in my life til the day before the test when we were shown how. Now at 60, I realize, you don’t just walk up to a move or piece of equipment and expect to ace it on the first try.

The whole concept of testing was asinine, and probably led to a couple of generations of obesity by itself, from people like me who assumed we sucked at everything sports related.

• sugagirl5
    sugagirl5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

27 minutes 54 seconds!

Yayyy amazingggg! You’re uninspiring me to start using c25k again 😝 any new goals now that you met that one?
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Short answer, Yes.

A few years ago for work, we all entered a 5K, and to begin with, I could barely run for the bus.

I did Couch to 5K and ran 2 5K's, I think my time was about 35 minutes and change, but I don't think I got it under 35 ever.

Since then I put on weight and couldn't run so I'm trying again but yes, the first time I just stayed at it and it came.

On the subject of the treadmill to outside, I found 2 things, the treadmill you don't need to propel yourself forward so that is a change of effort and outside the surface had a lot to do with how much energy I needed. If all else fails, go back a couple of weeks of training and do them outside.