Which do you struggle with more?

Options

Which do you struggle with more? 24 votes

Nutrition
70%
Sfulcher05clarkeje1monkeynutserHoneyBadger302MaggieGirl135Fitforevermorevivmom2014Remothnavychickpensfangrayblackmfpspiriteagle99Onedaywriter8r5bjd5fvnAmandamarc312Sissylynn1979mayula84spacetreemonkey 17 votes
Activity
29%
ythannahMelwillbehealthyBarbaraHelen2013AnnPT77blkadrKL1887CriedForNoOne 7 votes

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Nutrition
    Voted nutrition, but honestly it was a toss up, because in my case, if I'm getting in the activity/workouts I should, then I find it a LOT easier to stick to my nutrition (partially because I want to support what I'm doing, partially because my health is just on my mind, and mostly because I can increase my calorie limit to a point that my body is far more accepting of - besides that whole more muscle=higher metabolism thing).
    If it's a one or the other and not looking at any side benefits, then on it's own, without added exercise, nutrition is extremely difficult to hold to, and if I can't eat how my body prefers (for satiety - lower carb) it's a struggle as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Activity
    I don't struggle struggle with either, really. But I voted "activity". I have a decent workout schedule, and I enjoy the heck out of the Summer version. I'd do it even if it weren't good for me. The Winter version is less fun, so realistically a bit more of a slog. (I was very active starting in my late 40s, even while obese, and did it mostly for fun. I didn't lose weight until age 59-60.)

I voted "activity" because I'm an undisciplined, hedonistic aging hippie . . . who knows it would be better for me if I did more lifting, but it's not fun to me, so I mostly don't do enough of it. I don't agonize over that, though - might be better if I did.

Eating is pretty easy. Food is good, right? Since I kept logging as part of my maintenance strategy, and (while losing) worked on establishing easy, near-automatic habits that got me reasonably good overall nutrition on average the overwhelming majority of days, that doesn't feel like a struggle at all.

Occasionally, it's kind of a struggle not ordering a whole big chunk of carrot cake (or something) after a rich restaurant meal. If I order it, but only do that very rarely, it tends to work out fine.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Voted nutrition, but honestly it was a toss up, because in my case, if I'm getting in the activity/workouts I should, then I find it a LOT easier to stick to my nutrition (partially because I want to support what I'm doing, partially because my health is just on my mind, and mostly because I can increase my calorie limit to a point that my body is far more accepting of - besides that whole more muscle=higher metabolism thing).
    If it's a one or the other and not looking at any side benefits, then on it's own, without added exercise, nutrition is extremely difficult to hold to, and if I can't eat how my body prefers (for satiety - lower carb) it's a struggle as well.

This.

I, like HoneyBadger, find that if I am doing both, I don't find it much of a struggle at all. One supports the other. I am more mindful of my nutrition when I exercise, and if I exercise I have more calories to work with. I, also, don't want to derail all my hard work in the gym by eating poorly, so I make sure to get adequate protein and keep my calories within limits. Of course, I have my days when I'm off one or the other. But that's life. You just get back on plan the next day.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Activity
    Activity 100% is harder to maintain than nutrition! Some of that is weather based in the winter…I don’t mind cold but who wants to go out and walk in the rain?

I live in rural England so gyms are not ‘local’ and I’m really not the Gym type of person anyway. I don’t really do well with ‘group activity’ of any sort.

Nutrition, as a long time Vegetarian, is easy. I instinctively hit my nutrition goals with little to no effort. The only vague ‘struggle’ I have is not to go way over my fibre goals, as too much fibre can cause as many issues as too little, which is slightly annoying! 😂
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Activity
    Activity, since I live in a climate where my outdoor activities are unpleasant/impractical/dangerous for 4 or 5 months of the year.
  • mayula84
    mayula84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nutrition
    DEFINITELY nutrition. No competition. I enjoy physical activity, and even when I don’t, I have the willpower and grit to push through it, because you know what? After an hour or two, it’s over. Nutrition, on the other hand, is 24/7. And constantly having to deal with hunger and restricting how much I eat and what I eat is (for me) not fun at all. Plus, I’m not really seeing the results I was hoping for, so I’m pretty demotivated. Can anyone relate???