Recovery after general anesthesia

Options
Hi All

I have to have a small op polyp removal under general anesthesia and I was wondering how long I would need to recovery before strength training again.

I started with a PT 7 weeks ago and I am starting to see progress both in strength and body shape. I am just worried it will set back my progress etc.. Dr said I can go back to light exercise after 3 days but not sure what that is in strength training. Also should i still continue with my high protein diet and slightly reduce calories??

I have worked so hard I don't want a major set, back injury, or other.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where this polyp is. I would not do anything during healing if it's a bodypart that you can't keep neutral during training. Anal polyp and you clench your backside? Nope, probably not a good idea. Also, recovery from general can take a few days. Give it time.
  • Karen838
    Karen838 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I guess it depends on where this polyp is. I would not do anything during healing if it's a bodypart that you can't keep neutral during training. Anal polyp and you clench your backside? Nope, probably not a good idea. Also, recovery from general can take a few days. Give it time.

Thanks for the quick response, its a uterine polyp. But I guess I should let anesthesic leave my system.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I would ask the surgeon or your doctor specifically about lifting restrictions after the surgery.

When the doc said "light exercise", they were probably referring to walking, stationary bike, that sort of thing.

Many times, they will give you lifting specifics, such as "don't lift more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks" or something similar.

As for calories, I would eat at maintenance level for at least a few weeks while you heal.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Anaesthetic-wise the advice is not to do anything involving machinery etc (and I would include weights in this), driving or signing legal documents for 24hr. This is most likely overkill but some of the drugs we use can have a significant after action and lead to impaired judgment for potentially this long.

BUT. No-one ONLY has an anaesthetic. You have one to enable surgery. Your surgeon is the expert on healing and potential risks from their procedures. Be guided by them and don’t be afraid to ask specific questions. (Eg. What about weights? Definite “light” etc)

DOI: UK Consultant Anaesthetist.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Ask you doctor and not random people on a diet message board.
  • Karen838
    Options
    Ask you doctor and not random people on a diet message board.

I wasn't looking for medical advice, I have that already
  • Karen838
    Options
    KNoceros wrote: »
    Anaesthetic-wise the advice is not to do anything involving machinery etc (and I would include weights in this), driving or signing legal documents for 24hr. This is most likely overkill but some of the drugs we use can have a significant after action and lead to impaired judgment for potentially this long.

BUT. No-one ONLY has an anaesthetic. You have one to enable surgery. Your surgeon is the expert on healing and potential risks from their procedures. Be guided by them and don’t be afraid to ask specific questions. (Eg. What about weights? Definite “light” etc)

DOI: UK Consultant Anaesthetist.

Thanks for the input, I will get more clarity on what light exercise means. Much appreciated.
  • Karen838
    Options
    I would ask the surgeon or your doctor specifically about lifting restrictions after the surgery.

When the doc said "light exercise", they were probably referring to walking, stationary bike, that sort of thing.

Many times, they will give you lifting specifics, such as "don't lift more than 10 pounds for 2 weeks" or something similar.

As for calories, I would eat at maintenance level for at least a few weeks while you heal.

Thanks for the input, yes I need more clarito on light exercise. At the minute I am eating at déficit so it probably is a better idea to eat at maintenance for healing. I want to get back to PT asap 😊

Much appreciated
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You might feel ‘off your food’ for a day or two post opp anyway so I wouldn’t worry if you’re eating at maintenance or below for a short while post surgery. So long as you’re not majorly starving yourself an depriving your body of nutrition, just go with the flow and certainly don’t stress about eating at maintenance - you won’t gain anything other than water weight from doing so. (Assuming your logging is accurate of course).
  • Karen838
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    You might feel ‘off your food’ for a day or two post opp anyway so I wouldn’t worry if you’re eating at maintenance or below for a short while post surgery. So long as you’re not majorly starving yourself an depriving your body of nutrition, just go with the flow and certainly don’t stress about eating at maintenance - you won’t gain anything other than water weight from doing so. (Assuming your logging is accurate of course).

Thank you, you were right i did lose my appetit but its gradually coming back. I am trying to eat healthy. Some days I have eaten 1000 call and others 1500 cals.

My doctor said I could start back at the gym this week but to listen to my body.

To he honest I am very tired and sluggish. I have A LOT of water retention. My plan is to move more and just build back up over the next 10 days. Trying to drink lots of water to flush meds out of my system.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.