Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It takes me an hour, too, but with one kid who is now 3 I can manage. Hold out for then!

Also, Moroccan Oil. :)

^This^ Moroccan Oil is a God-send! And it's got a ton of different products past the orginal oil. They have a product for locking in the curls and it's amazing! I have wavy hair, just a step away from being truly "curly" with awesome frizz and I swear by their products.

Oh, and no over-drying, ruins any curl you had going.
  • mountiemama
    Options
    I, too, too have naturally curly hair, also curlier in the front that the back. It the back it is mostly frizz. I use a straightener now, but until about 6 months ago, I always wore my shoulder length hair in some king of updo or in a ponytail. I have found that Tresemme silky smooth products helps a huge amount. I would caution you on the Brazillian straightener thing though, my daughter looked into that at one point and most Brazillian straighteners contain formaldahyde and no one needs to put that on their head! Good luck Curly!!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have embraced my curls after years of fighting them. I have long, thick, spiral curly hiar. Straightening takes me about 30-40 minutes but it will last me 2-3 days.

Product that works best for my hair: Frizz Ease Hair Serum I put it on soaking wet hair along with a scrunching gel. I finish it off with a little bit of mousse and hair spray.

The key EVERY stylist has ever told me: DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!! Leave it alone after your done styling. Natural curls get more frizzy as they are handled.

Hope this helped =)
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Some very good advice here! and I agree with embracing your curls and naturallycurly.com. I learned A LOT from that website.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I have straightened my hair for years, but now that I have 2 kids, I'm lucky to get a shower, let alone the hour it takes to straighten my thick hair. I've tried cutting it off, but I end up looking like Little Orphan Annie on crack. Right now it is just past my shoulders and I find myself pulling it into a ponytail everyday. Also, it is curlier (spiral) in the front than in the back. Argh.

Any tips from other curly girls?

Hey i dont know you and you explained my hair!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My daughter now embraces her curls after many years, and countless hours, spent with the flat iron. Her favorite product to use is "Mixed Chicks". The're products are made especially for curly hair, and you don't have to be a "mixed chick"! Take a look at their website: http://www.mixedchicks.net/
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I gave up and went dreadlocks. Tried the mom cut once, no thanks, not doing that again.
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    wow, excited to see the post, even more excited to see all the responses! i understand your struggle, i used to wear my hair seriously short, and just about 6 months ago decided to grow it out again! its so hard to go through the akward lengths when your hair is curly, its driving me nuts, but i think it's going to be worth it, i already feel more myself : ) i say go for whats natural!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I use to get my hair perked all the time when I was younger, a body perm so I could have curly hair instead of wavy. My hair is incredibly thick and takes me forever to straighten it.

I recently went to a new stylist and she butchered my hair cut (gave me lots of layers, and used a razor). This made my hair straight look like crap. I dug out my diffuser and low and behold... I'm curly!!! Not wavy but curly!!!!

I think that it became increasingly curly through all four pregnancies. So now what I thought was a botched hair cut is actually a good one.

I say if it's natural, flow with it!!! Get a good can of curl mouse, diffuser and go for it!
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Team Curly Girls! I recently tried that Garnier product that relaxes your curls for up to 7 washes. I like to straighten my hair but hate all the products I have to use to obtain it. The 7 wash product by Garnier works! You can wear your hair straight or curly but it definitely cuts the straightening time in half. When I rock it curly my curls are looser and my hair looks longer. I have a few more washes to go and I can definitely see my curl pattern going back to normal. Try it!
  • adubose88
    Options
    My hair is pretty curly. More so in the back than in the front. It tends to be really frizzy if I don't put some thing in it. I like to use Garnier Fructis Leave-In conditioning cream. It keeps the frizz down. I just cut my hair a few months ago and it is so much easier. i just let my hair air dry a bit then while it's still damp put in the conditioning cream in and scrunch the part of my hair that isn't as curly and then leave. Takes maybe 5 min.