Just realized how out of shape I am. Yikes.

Options
JenMarieD87
JenMarieD87 Posts: 34 Member
edited April 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Long story short, I've been the opposite of active my whole life. I just dont like to move much and I absolutely hate sweating. So I'm pretty much a couch potato. I'm also very overweight & trying to change it. In 2011/2012 i lost 110 lbs purely with changing my diet. No exercise. But I still had at least 70 lbs to lose and instead of doing that, I gained back 40. So I'm trying again. This time I decided to join Planet Fitness because I don't just want to lose weight. I want to make my body & heart stronger.
So today my husband & I went for the first time. I did 5 minutes on the elliptical on the lowest level & I was out of breath, head hurt and my legs felt like Jello. I feel pathetic rn.😅

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, you should feel pleased that you're making the effort.

You might be better off with a stationary bike or treadmill first. Once you can do 20+ minutes, increase the resistance/speed. The elliptical is going to be harder than those. Always try to be doing a bit more each week than previous week.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If you stick with it you’ll be surprised on how quickly you’ll improve.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The first time is often that way. Don't worry, you'll get better. Don't push yourself too fast, and slowly increase as you feel you can do it. Starting from 0 is a big step. I applaud you. Just don't give up. In a couple of months you won't recognize yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Seconding that improvement will be steady, if you are steady in pursuing it.

Some free advice, probably worth every penny you pay for it: Don't go all out at the start. It's counter-productive for weight loss, it's counter-productive for fitness improvement.

High intensity exercise is a good thing in the mix . . . eventually. To start, usually the best route is to begin with endurance, i.e., slow and steady, gradually increasing.

Over-exercising to the point of fatigue can be counter-productive. If we are fatigued going into the rest of our day, we tend to rest more, do less . . . effectively wiping out some of the exercise calories. The sweet spot is exercise that's just a mild, manageable challenge to current capabilities. You'd maybe feel a little "whew" for a few minutes right afterward, but then energized going into the rest of your day.

Similar from a fitness standpoint: Going super hard initially isn't more effective. It's more time-limited (we can't keep it up for long) and creates more injury risk. Find that mild, manageable challenge, and try to gradually increase duration over time, keeping it a mild challenge. After a few weeks is the time to start adding intensity sometimes, with either a short intense workout or some higher intensity intervals interspersed in your base-pace workout - maybe once a week, twice tops.

All high intensity all the time is much hyped in the blogosphere . . . but elite athletes don't train all high intensity all the time. If they don't find it the most effective way to build/maintain fitness, why would us regular duffers want/need to do it?

Keep up the good work, manage it in smart ways, keep it fun (or at least tolerable/convenient), and you'll amaze yourself with where your arrive in a few weeks, a few months, and beyond.