Roommate Rant

Options
Ok...I'm sorry, but I just had to vent and to see if others agreed that I have the right to be frustrated.

So, I'm a college sophomore, and I live off campus with one roommate in an apartment. Since January 2010, I started making a lot of changes concerning food and exercise, and have managed to go from 160 to 130. Unlike most freshman, I lost weight instead of gained, and I also don't drink, do drugs or party.

I try to be as healthy as possible everyday, and I try to workout a minimum of everyday with 60 minutes of cardio and a burn of 400-700 calories, plus strength training. I'm also in training for a half marathon and eat an average of 1200-1700 calories a day, depending on exercise. Every night, I allow myself one small treat such as a 100 calorie pack, Smart Ones sundae, dark chocolate, etc., and once a week I allow myself frozen yogurt or a small meal out.

However, I'm frustrated because I'm the type of person who can have a cheat meal, such as a burger or cake for a celebration, and be up three pounds the next day. My roommate, on the other hand, amazes me. She doesn't workout, at all, and this week alone she has had a Dairy Queen blizzard, Taco Bell, Whataburger, hot wings, Dominos pizza and cinnamon sticks, a whole pack of mini Kit Kats, and a whole bag of chips. Yet, she NEVER gains weight.

I also only drink water, skim milk and soy milk, and she drinks soda, liquor, whole milk, and tea. Right now, I have fruits, veggies, soy milk, yogurt, salad stuff, and deli meat in my fridge. In my freezer I have veggies, Smart One sundaes, and a couple quick frozen Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones and Lean Pockets. In my cabinet, I have Honey Nut Cheerios, oatmeal, Clif granola bars, Planters snack packs, and Jif PB to go cups. She, on the other hand...has soda, a 2 pound Rice Krispie, cookie mixes, Little Debbie snacks, chips, brownies, Bluebell ice cream, Hot Pockets, Toaster Strudel, leftover pizza and cinnamon sticks, and much, much more. Plus, tomorrow she is making brownies, so there will be a whole pan of brownies.

It's so frustrating because I try so hard, and then know people like her who can eat whatever they want and be fine. Does anybody else feel this way? I hate it. I have random times when I go completely off and eat a lot in one day, but the next day I am right back on track. I just wish it was easier to do this sometimes, and not be worried about every calorie I eat or burn. However, I know it's also a good thing I'm being health conscious, but still... :/

Replies

• JennsLosing
    Options
    that 3 pounds that you gain is probably just water retention or maybe your body getting kinda bloaty or what not after eating junk when your body isnt use to eating junk food. Happens to me after a "cheat" day.
  • kayler00
    kayler00 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is my equilvant of you're roommate - haha. He is skinny & scrawny and can eat WHATEVER he wants - we are on a budget for food so it's VERY hard when we go shopping - he eats toaster strudels, hot pockets, pizza, butterfingers, diet soda, cookies, tyson chicken, -- anything processed or easy to microwave. Whenever I do make meals he sometimes eats what I do but usually he eats what he wants.

It makes me mad sometimes because late at night he'll grab a nutter bar and ask me if I want some - it's like NOOOOOO!!

I try so hard but it's really hard when you have a boyfriend who eats the total opposite of you. The temptations are always in the house.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Give it time. I ate very much like your roommate at that age. It took about a year and then the pounds started creeping up. 3 years later I had almost a 40 pound gain.

Just focus on yourself and go to sleep knowing that she'll probably be asking for advice on a couple of years on how to lose that weight.
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Think long run - what she is putting into her body may not be showing on the outside as weight gain right now but she is poisioning her body with all that crap. You're healthy eating and lifestyle will take your health so much further than just a number on the scale. Keep on pushing and doing what you are doing and don't stress over your roommate.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    and her arteries are clogged with all the crap she eats :) Keep doing what you are doing :)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Give it time. I ate very much like your roommate at that age. It took about a year and then the pounds started creeping up. 3 years later I had almost a 40 pound gain.

Just focus on yourself and go to sleep knowing that she'll probably be asking for advice on a couple of years on how to lose that weight.

her bad habits will catch up!! Not to say I wish I could eat a few more sweets and greasy foods if I could...:laugh:
  • freshstart4me
    Options
    uh, tis life...not every BODY is the same...itll be that way for life...get used to it.
  • freshstart4me
    Options
    and i guess im *****y cause my man is doing the same **** thing and im pissed :) so i dont mean it mean...i mean it as in i can effin relate and hteres nothing we can do ab out it.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I understand completely.

But LOSING that much instead of gaining is extremely impressive.

Think about that for a minute. The fact that all your hard work is really paying off.

If that doesn't help, knowing that if it ever comes to fist-to-cuffs, you could probably beat the twinkies outta her.

:wink:
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I was always jealous of my cousin because it seemed like they always had pepsi and chips at her house and she was always little. One possibility is that your roommate eats very little other than junk food and therefore still takes in a normal amount of calories for maintenance. Of course, it's always possible that she has a "faster metabolism" or whatever they want to call it for people who seem naturally skinny. However, given that....she will still be very unhealthy if she doesn't change her eating habits. I have a friend who looks pretty healthy and is quite athletic, too, but he never eats vegetables or fruit. Now that he's getting closer to 40, I just shudder to think what the inside of his digestive system must look like...and what it will look like in another 20 years.

Another thing about all the drinking, drugs, and partying....I went to school with a lot of people like that, too...let's just say that when we had a high school reunion, they all look WAY older than I do....extra pounds or not. Certain lifestyles show on our faces and there are some habits, if they continue, that make people old way before their time...inside and out.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Trust me -- it will catch up to her as she gets older whereas you will continue to be fit and healthy as you get older. Not to mention what all that garbage is doing to her insides. Alcohol alone is a killer. Stick with what you are doing!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    YES, I completely understand how you're feeling. I'm diabetic AND trying to lose weight and it is so frustrating to see others who can eat what they want when I can't. Then I beat myself up and go on a "sorry for myself" binge, which of course only makes things worse. I'm really trying to find a happy medium where I can have a few bites to treat myself without going overboard. But, if I was in your situation, with a whole pan of brownies staring me in the face, I'd be sitting with a fork scarfing them down as fast as I could. Any chance your roommate would be willing to keep that stuff shut in her room so it's not somewhere you have to see it all the time? I wish I had some advice that could really help you, but I don't. I just wanted you to know you're not alone in your feelings. I hope it gets better for you. If it doesn't and she isn't willing to do things to make it a bit easier for you, maybe consider finding another room mate?
  • starauthor23
    Options
    I had a similar discussion with my roommate just last night. He certainly doesn't binge eat like this, but he is very scrawny and I've seen him put some food away in my time. He told me that his resting caloric burn - I don't know the official name for it, but the amount of calories your body burns daily just to stay alive - is 1600. 1600 calorie burn factored in before he does anything.

Another friend of mine is so skinny that I actually bet he has almost 0% body fat, and he eats like a madman. He'll go to taco bell 5 nights a week, get like $12 worth of food off their menu (which is a ton at Taco Bell), eat it all, and never gain a pound.

I've raged about the unfairness many times. I empathize with you.
  • echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you're talking about. For me, if I eat over 1300 calories I'll be up like 3-4 pounds the next day. For my best friend, she can eat more then 2000 calories and not gain an ounce.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Wow...you all have made me feel SO much better!!!! Thank you!!!! :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just think about it this way. You are both young. Ten years from now, you will be thin and she will be obese. Why? Because you got in the habit of a healthy lifestyle now before your metabolism slows down as it always done with natural aging. Think about that as she downs those sodas, sweets, and frozen processed food.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was your roommate 20 yrs ago...never had a problem with weight, ate whatever, whenever. But guess what? It catches up, and your smart to have healthy eating habits now. I'm still trying to learn to eat healthy. You're doing awesome, keep it up :)
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with some of the posters on it catching up eventually. I ate the same way but probably 4-5 times as much as your room mate does. I ate 4-5 full meals a day plus junk food, snack, alcohol, soda, etc. at 18 or so I was 6 foot and about 155-160 lbs soaking wet. By the time I was 36 or so I was at 225 not eating quite like I used to, but still packing it in.

So, just ignore your room mates eating habits and worry about what you are doin. It makes life so much easier.
  • hafdis
    hafdis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That would be my husband, when we were in our twenties!! He could eat everything and anything. He is in the military, when He joined basic he was measly 140 pounds and after 8 weeks of it he packed on 30 pounds.. but now in our 30 his motabalism has slowed down.. he is still very lean but if he packs food away like he used too he gains but he can still eat what ever he wants but just has keep it in moderation.. so don´t worry it will all come back to your roommate later in life!!