Deleted Threads

Options
tomcustombuilder
tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
edited April 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
So you have threads deleted on a weight loss forum because the poster didn’t want to hear that their lack of loss was due to not being in a caloric deficit.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Um.. hugs? <3

Yeah, I know what you mean. I only ever had something deleted when mentioning that big p is not necessary.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't know how it went down, but the OP can ask to have their thread taken down.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Don't know how it went down, but the OP can ask to have their thread taken down.
    I’m sure that’s what happened then.

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the final 9 posts or so, but I hadn't seen a mention of the number of calories she was eating, just that she didn't want to decrease her intake further.

I'd like to say though that I don't agree with this general idea you seem to have that we're all counting calories badly (some more than others), necessarily overestimating intake and overestimating exercise calories. That's not how you worded it precisely (obviously I can't check now) but that's the message I remember, with cutting calories further being the only solution when weight loss isn't happening. Errors in calorie counting can happen both ways, and in her situation (prolonged calorie deficit) a diet break or reverse dieting certainly were valid alternatives.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    in her situation (prolonged calorie deficit) a diet break or reverse dieting certainly were valid alternatives.

+1
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    My instincts tell me she was in a very low calorie deficit to lose weight that reducing them further was probably dangerously low, and didn't make any sense to her to lower them further. She seemed like she wanted help but left out the very information that was pertinent to the answer. I suspect it's a metabolic problem. When people lose big weight more than once like she did in the hundreds of lbs and possibly without proper nutrition, metabolism can be effected and studies of the "Big Losers" a decade on shows their metabolisms still haven't recovered. Cheers
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yeah... no.... maybe..... sure.... it is their right to delete their thread....

it is also my right to be frustrated that I wrote advice that may be relevant to other people and it also gets deleted when people delete "their thread"....

it is also my right not to bother to write advice if I am bothered enough by the fact that people can delete my advice by deleting their thread and yet I wrote it... so there's that too.

But it is also my right to gripe about it... or did I mention that already!?!?! :wink:

That said, less calories is a good answer but it is not always the best or only answer.

Yeah, we wasted our time. I also put some time into that thread. OP is not getting a bouquet of flowers from me over that, anytime soon, sure. I have a memory, kinda.

But complaining about deletion afterward? Mourning that it's lost to the world just puts more time into it. Bigger waste of time, IMO.

My advice is worth every penny a person pays for it, pretty much by definition. That they valued it accordingly shouldn't be any kind of a surprise. Them's the breaks.

YMMV.

P.S. All of this is subjective, but I'm feeling a bit of a gap between what I remember people saying on the thread (me included) and what they're presenting here as having been said by themselves or others. If that doesn't make it even more pointless . . . well, I don't know what would.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    no reason to be bothered. esp enough to create post over it. big fish small pond syndrome. lots of big fish in this little pond.
  • LJAAYY
    LJAAYY Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lol a microcosm of MFP… Go to Reddit if you want to argue.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    What an odd thing to start a thread about.

No one is forced to be invested in these chats among strangers.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    crb426 wrote: »
    What an odd thing to start a thread about.

No one is forced to be invested in these chats among strangers.

This is true. That's why I've mostly walked away from answering people's questions they post. Most of them don't want answers and we're just wasting our time. Honestly, most of the time I think we should just let this message board slowly fade away. It's just people asking the same questions over and over that don't really want answers, they just want someone to tell then that they're right.

Y’all are hilarious.

But agree with @sollyn23l2

I am so disheartened pouring time into responses for One-Day-Wonders who leave the same day they’ve registered, or who return every few months with the same issues, get the exact same advice, disregard (because, clearly their plan is working, right?), leave, rinse, repeat ad nauseam.

I get that it unfortunately comes with the territory.

All I can hope is that I can reach one person out there and encourage them to change their life by sharing how large weight loss affected me.

If it’s any comfort, many of y’all were directly responsible for giving me that gift.

Tru dat. Cheers.