I don't want to compete but I want to look like I do!

Options
So I have always desired a super toned body, just don't want to look "hard" or muscular. I think the point right before it gets too "muscly"! I've cut down my cals to about 1200. Lifting 4x per week. We'll see what happens! Anyone else going for that look?
I'm 5,8, 156.3 (untoned and fat), my goal weight is 140 or 145 lean!

Replies

• kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I believe I’m somewhere on that spectrum but not as defined. I can see 4 abs, mainly when flexed, my leg muscles are separated when flexed, and you can see the shape of the muscles in my upper arms without flexing. When not flexed I have 2-3 lines on my abs and my quads are obvious. I’m 5’2”, 115lbs and wear a size 0. I started at 200lbs and a size 18. I like a slim toned look for myself.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,609 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Looking hard and muscular IS a competition type body.

If you’re at 1,200 calories at your stats you’ll lose fat however you won’t be building much, if any muscle. Stick with the 1,200 for a month and review progress or lack of it and adjust calories accordingly. Be on a good lifting program even when dieting down to preserve existing muscle.

Once you’re lean enough change your diet to a small 200-300 calorie surplus and keep training properly. You’ll have more energy with the added calories so you will train harder.

Keep an eye on your waist or hip measurement, which ever one you tend to hold fat on, if this measurement starts growing too much cut back slightly on calories.

Looking hard and/or muscular won’t happen without a huge commitment to diet and training so you won’t be looking like that. You can achieve a relatively fit looking body with a moderate amount of effort and discipline which is most likely within your realm of possibilities.

• MuffinTopMan74
    MuffinTopMan74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Looking hard and muscular IS a competition-type body.

If you’re at 1,200 calories at your stats, you’ll lose fat however you won’t be building much, if any muscle. Stick with the 1,200 for a month and review progress or lack of it and adjust calories accordingly
    change your diet to a small 200-300 calorie surplus and keep training properly.

Tom is right. You are now lean and have to increase your calories and do some resistance training (weightlift and some core exercises.) You can eat more protein as protein = 4 calories per gram. I would boost your calorie intake to at least 1600-1700 calories per day at the very very minimum. 30-35% protein, 30%-35% carbs, rest from fat keeping it the lowest. You will build muscle fast since you are a noob to resistance training, and you will have the extra protein for muscle synthesis and hypertrophy. The extra carbs for fuel. You will burn off the new calories easily as you build muscle, and over time your metabolic rate will rise as you build muscle.

• I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Losing 16 lbs of bf? You’re looking at a good 8 month journey for sustainability, along with resistance training of course and a couple of maintenance weeks to being your body back to homeostasis