Headphones while sleeping

Options
I actually sleep with headphones as a matter of principle. Sometimes with music (whatever), sometimes with "sleeping noises" like rain on a tin roof. Sometimes I just have the headphones on to minimise ambient noise. What experiences have you had with headphones? Which ones do you use? In-ear or over-ear? I had over-ear for a long time, but they always broke at some point. In-ear are very dependent on the fit. Are there any special ones - not only to reduce noise but also play music?
Tagged:

Replies

• kumargautam430
    kumargautam430 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am using the airpods pro, very comfortable to use. Last night it was in my ear whole night, didn’t feel a thing. I use sleep meditation from Balance before I sleep. Only concern for me is EMF exposure, planning to go with wired one instead.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Just get a mini stereo with bluetooth and run the sounds through that. I do ocean sounds and the stereo is by the window so its like you're really on the beach and the ocean is outside the window.
  • DecryingShame
    DecryingShame Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have earbuds made just for sleeping. I can lay on them and not feel them most of the time. They have wires, which I prefer since I worry that air buds will get lost, but they are tangle-free and can stand up to a lot of abuse. I use them for binaural beats, which I highly recommend if you have trouble sleeping.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    i've worried about my headphone, earbud, addiction while i sleep. Myself. I liten to my favorite movies i've seen many times. Somehow ..knowing what is going ot happen luls me off to sleep. Other times i listen to rain noises.
    But is it good to have sounds and dialouge in ones ears while sleeping? I worry about this.. and am trying to stop from using them all night.
  • mlk824
    mlk824 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use SleepPhones to listen to rain sounds every night. It's basically a headband with flat headphones in it that you place over your ears. I also wear a sleep mask to block light and the 2 together work very well for me. I don't like in ear headphones because I sleep on my side.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use cheap in-ear ones (like Gumy headphones). I haven't found over ear ones that are comfy to sleep in or noise cancelling enough. I had a headband type one but it doesn't shut out any of the ambient noise in my room.

I just keep buying the cheap ones bc sleeping in them is rough on them and they break often. My issue right now is I want to have the lowest volume possible. Like, turn the volume all the way down to mute and then press the volume up button ONCE. I have an iPad and an iPhone. On my iPad, the lowest volume is still quite loud IMO and I really really wish I knew of a way to make it lower. My phone seems to be good as far as the lowest volume.

• SleepingBeauty12345
    Options
    This is so interesting. I have trouble with sleeping too. I never thought about using ear buds or headphones. Good idea!
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Longtime insomniac- I got a set of sleep earbuds this July (soundcore by anker sleep a10). They’re comfortable enough for side sleeping and really help me. The app has white noise, but I prefer audiobooks, which are essentially white noise for me. it’s theoretically not ideal, but realistically it’s one of the most helpful things I’ve tried.
  • TimothyFiggis
    TimothyFiggis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally do the same. Helps with tinnitus and partner who snores very loudly, baby in apartment above us and a cat that wakes up at 4am. I have used a few different types but the best I found are Beats Flex. Bluetooth, fairly cheap $90 new. And then if you want to sleep on one side you just put one earbud in. When you want to change sides just swap out the earbud. Much easier than AirPods
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Does the headphones make it difficult to sleep? I'm a side sleeper and I'm thinking about getting one to block out noise (horribly loud neighbors and community in general on top of being sensitive to human made noise). I've tried earplugs but they start to irritate my ears after a time. I run with earbuds, but I can't imagine trying to sleep with them on for the same reason I can't with earplugs.
  • KerryBSoCal
    KerryBSoCal Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I’d like to know the answers, too. I just can’t sleep on my back.
  • SuzanMunro
    SuzanMunro Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use earplugs - the orange squishy ones that construction workers or whoever use at work. They fit every size ear and drown out most noise. And I can sleep comfortably on my side.
  • KerryBSoCal
    KerryBSoCal Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have used those too, but nothing beats quality sound like headphones. We side sleepers probably will have to learn to sleep on our backs if we want to sleep with them on. Come on Bose or Sony… figure it out!
  • september192023
    september192023 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mlk824 wrote: »
    I use SleepPhones to listen to rain sounds every night. It's basically a headband with flat headphones in it that you place over your ears. I also wear a sleep mask to block light and the 2 together work very well for me. I don't like in ear headphones because I sleep on my side.

This - I love mine, under $20 on Amazon.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    Options
    I live alone. On a quiet street. No need for headphones, but I do listen to quiet music on a sleep timer to go to sleep. I can certainly imagine earphones would help, but don't they come off when you roll over?