Will my sleeping schedule work?

Options
So, I've been sleeping late (staying up till about 3-6am, it varies but I don't stay up pass 6am) and I have school. I have to wake up at 5am and on these days I sleep roughly at 3amish. I'm going to try and change that tonight, going to sleep at 10-11pmish. I'm going to do it because I've gained some water weight and I want to go down with my weight. But I have a question, on the weekends will it be okay if I stay up late and get enough sleep? About 6-8 hours, and still workout and continue my calorie deficit and then after the weekends I go to sleep early and continue this for how long as I want and will still see my weight go down and see the results in my body when I workout on the week days and weekends? I mean as long as I get enough sleep I shouldn't be gaining any water weight from that reason and still continue to loose weight, right?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I would say you should go to bed at 10-11pm because you need to get enough sleep and going to bed at 3am when you have to wake up at 5am is not a good idea. Not getting enough sleep is incredibly stressful on the body.

As @yirara said, water weight fluctuations are normal. Unusual sleep patterns might affect it, sure, but water weight fluctuations aren't bad. I don't know how old you are, but even if you're still quite young it's better IMO to not have a drastically shifting sleep schedule - being relatively consistent even when you don't have school/work/activities is better for your body.
  • StaciInGa
    StaciInGa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Constant lack of sleep can be dangerous for yourself and others. I hope you are not driving a car (or even operating a bicycle) on days following 2 hours of sleep? I am not being judgement but speaking from experience. Once upon a time I was working 2 jobs (and the parent of 3 little ones under 5 years old) and fell asleep at the wheel. Drove head on into another vehicle. Fortunately both myself and the other driver survived, but I broke both my legs and he broke one of his.

Water weight fluctuates for many reasons, and yes lack of sleep is one of them. But if you want to change your body weight, you probably want to lose fat which is a longer term process of eating at a slight deficit and/or moving more. And it can be useful to focus on your overall health which includes sleep and finding a balance for the different responsibilities you face in life. Changing your water weight can change the # on the scale in the short term but does not change your body.
  • DecryingShame
    DecryingShame Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are meant to sleep during the night and sleeping from 3-11 is never as good for you as sleeping 10-6. If you can manage to start a better sleep schedule, you will notice that you feel a lot more rested. Then the odd weekend night when you stay up and have fun won't affect your body quite as much.