Chicken Breast Recipe Ideas

Options
angf0679
angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
I eat a lot of chicken

I usually do shake and bake, or bread parmesan. Sometimes I cook just with olive oil but finds that dries it out.

What is your favorite recipe for a chicken breast? As I cook for just one, ideas that can modified for one person would be great.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    If I had to select a single recipe...meal for one...I'd say stir fry. Cube the chicken, pan sear for 3-4 minutes per side, using just a tiny amount of oil or Pam non-stick spray. In a separate skillet sauté mushrooms with sugar snap peas for about 10-12 minutes in butter. Throw in with the mushrooms some diced red and green peppers, onion, carrot slivers, whatever other vegetable you want to include, for 2-3 minutes (want them to stay crisp). I also include broccoli, but find it's easier to steam the broccoli separately and then add to the veggie skillet at the last instant before seasoning with garlic powder and seasoned salt. Serve both chicken and veggies atop a bed of rice.

Takes a little juggling to get everything done at the same time, but it's easily scalable from serving one to serving a dozen, stores and reheats very nicely for future meals. You can try a teriyaki version instead of butter, but I find I prefer my steak stir-fry with the teriyaki, my chicken with butter.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    yum! @nossmf

i also like to stir fry with frozen blends. 1 of my favs is Flav R Pac Asparagus stir fry blend (blends & brands vary) and keep the frozen 3 peppers (onion/pepper strips on hand in the freezer too.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I loves me a buffalo chicken salad. Next would be tacos/fajitas/quesadillas. I don't buy stand-alone chicken breasts but instead use the white meat from a whole chicken. In the U.S., a Sam's Club or Costco rotisserie chicken ($4.99USD) is often cheaper than buying a whole raw bird.

Were I working with raw chicken breasts, I might thin slice and marinade in weighed one-portion bags for the freezer. That makes it super easy to thaw and throw in stir-fry. If the chicken is drying out too much, you may have to change your cooking method or cooking time. If pan frying, try a fast sear, remove the chicken and gently fry up onions/celery/garlic - careful to add the garlic last and not let it burn. Add a little broth or water/salt/pepper. Throw the chicken back in, cover and reduce the heat to a slow simmer. You can also pan sear the meat and make a foil packet with veg and bake in the oven for ~30 minutes. Seasonings are you friend!
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have been using this rub called Killer Bee its from the brand Kosmos. It's delicious! I also use SPG Rub (salt pepper garlic) from Operation BBQ brand. Chicken can get boring :# gotta spice it up!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I stir fry also. My technique is this:

1. Slice the chicken thin against the grain, salt, and coat with cornstarch. Easiest to do last step by shaking the chicke pieces in a plastic bag or sealed food container with the cornstarch. Finely mince, grate or press a clove of garlic per breast.
    3. Gather your ingredients for the stir fry sauce. For example soy with oyster, or fish sauce with some sugar or ketchup, or a sweet and sour sauce with sugar, vinegar and chinese cooking wine. I like to make big batches of favourite stir fry sauces and save them in squeeze bottles in the fridge to save time cooking on weeknights. Store bought stir fry sauces are fine too.
    4. Prep whatever vegetables you will use. Snow peas, asparagus, diced onion with peppers are all classic.
    5. Fry the chicken in a scant amount of oil in a non stick pan with the garlic using medium high heat. You might need two wooden spoons to separate the meat as the cornstarch makes the pieces want to stick together. When the garlic has colour, take out the meat and set aside. Best to leave the chicken a little undercooked. Then fry the veggies, before tossing in the stir fry sauce. If sauce dries up before veggies are done add a splash of water.
    6. When veggies are done to you taste, toss the chicken back to warm through in the sauce and finish cooking for a minute or two. The cornstarch coating helps keep the meat tender, and thickens the sauce.
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love a tex mex style salad, oven baked chicken covered in tex mex rub, bed of chopped spinach, chopped mixed salad leaves, finely chopped red onion, pomegranate seeds, jalapeños, a couple of teaspoons of salsa, sour cream and guacamole and a handful of tortilla chips.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    What about chopped up into a salad?

I like this recipe.. it’s inspired by Waldorf salad.

Chopped chicken breast
    coarse sea salt
    black pepper
    Mayonnaise
    apples
    stalks celery
    grapes, seedless
    crispy walnuts
    lettuce leaves
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Mmmm Waldorf salad! I’ve got to try that recipe soon!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves my spicy honey crock-pot chicken.

Place thin chicken breasts (or normal ones sliced in half) along bottom of crock pot.
    Mix sauce:
    • 1/4 cup catsup
    • 1/2 cup soy sauce
    • 1/2 cup honey
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 onion, diced
    Spread sauce across chicken, cover and simmer on high for 2 hours. Ten minutes before serving, remove chicken to a plate and shred into bite sized pieces. Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with 1/4 cup water, add to pot, stir and add chicken back in for remainder of time. Serve over rice or preferred noodles.
  • cls81019
    cls81019 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is a huge staple in my diet. I have found a few seasonings and homemade marinades that make eating it enjoyable. I also grill A LOT!

1)Fire & Smoke makes an amazing line of seasonings. I have a bunch of different ones. Just slather yellow mustard on your chicken and seasoning before grilling. You WILL NOT taste the mustard, it's just basically used to adhere the seasoning.

2) Greek Chicken (just google it). The ingredients are pretty basic and this tastes amazing in a salad or as the star of your plate!

3) Cilantro Lime Chicken (again google the recipe). It's so good! I serve this with cauliflower rice or Mexican Roasted Sweet Potatoes

4) Guacamole Chicken: make or buy some guac. Grilled or air fry your chicken with just a little salt and pepper. Top with the guac when chicken is cooked through. Heat until guac is warm.

5) buy your favorite balsamic vinaigrette and marinate your chicken overnight then grill, bake or air fry

• Maria_Albina
    Maria_Albina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ranch seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and salt. I do this with chicken thighs as I prefer them to breasts. Bake at 400 for 30 mins. SO good
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is a super easy recipe that will make a ton of chicken. I put 3 breasts in the slow cooker with a jar of salsa and cook on low for 8-10 hours (I also have pressure cooked it for 10 mins., add 1/4 c broth to it before cooking). You can add some taco seasoning if you want but it really has good flavor on its own. I use it for sliders, tacos, over rice, etc. You can add black beans and/or corn to some to make it a little different. probably good over a salad too. Some people add some cream cheese to make it creamy.