How do you get your head round slow steady weight loss

Options
Okay so this is a massive battle for me. I had around 12 stone to loose. Joined slimming world 9 weeks ago and am 1 stone 7lbs down, 8 of those lost in the first week. Most weeks the scales say I have lost 1.5lbs, which I know is great and how it should be done slow and steady but I see so many posts and hear so many bigger people who drop regularly 3-4lbs a week. At weigh in on Saturday I stayed the same and I cried with disappointment - just felt like another week further from where I want to be and relatively early in my journey. I have no idea what it's like to walk into a high street store and just pick up a size 14 jeans and to feel normal. Most of the people at my slimming group have at most 2 stone to loose. In the past a stay the same, when I know I've done everything right would derail me but I haven't let it and I have just carried on eating good nutrious food. I know this will happen a lot on my journey but not sure how I get my head round it but I also know what's the alternative to be defeated go off the rails and end up back at square one the same weight I was or heavier. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Wow. First things first.

Celebrate your wins!

Second: Comparison is the thief of joy.

You're doing great. It takes as long as it takes. I know that when I first started weight loss I beat myself up mentally, too. I mean, I did this. I gained all this weight. Now I have to really buckle down and change. I don't like change. I'd rather keep eating all the treat foods and keep drinking all the alcohol and blah blah blah. What? I have to exercise too? Nooooooooooo.

Just take it a day at a time.

It's okay to have a day here and there where you over-eat at a celebration. Just don't make that twice a week. Make it once or twice a month.

You'll get there.

Celebrate your wins. Maybe a weight loss group isn't the right place for you if it makes you feel bad. I would think it should be an encouraging place.
  • drivingahead
    drivingahead Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you that's really helpful. I went to group and weighed feeling sad but by the end when I left all the members had made me feel much better and my consultant made me lift a box weighing a stone and it was so heavy, I was really shocked and it motivated me. I also realised yesterday that I had not been to the loo for a few days which is very unlike me so I'm sure that had something to do with it, I'm trying to celebrate the fact that I have not felt tempted as yet to eat my trigger foods so chocolate, cake or ice cream. Over Easter there was several eggs in the house for my son and I didn't have any of it and nor did I feel deprived because I knew 1 egg would lead to way more!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    That's right. I'm the same way, it's way better for me to not even eat that first bite of sweets...

Well done on your weight loss so far. You'll get there, and it will all be worth it. I cannot tell you how much better I feel and how much better my life and mental health are at a healthy weight.

Keep going.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do a comparison, compare where you were 9 weeks ago to where you are now. The first week will have mostly been water loss, but you've still lost almost a stone over the subsequent 8 weeks - which is fantastic.

Slimming World (and other such clubs) can sometimes make people feel bad for not losing 'enough', but it's far better to lose very slowly, than to slowly be gaining. Staying the same weight could be due to water retention, menstrual cycle (if that applies) or a multitude of other reasons. A Saturday to Saturday comparison could show an increase that wasn't there the day before and may not be there the day after. If you were weighing yourself daily, you'd see fluctuations galore because weight loss definitely isn't linear. I'm sure someone will post the graph that shows what most people's weight loss typically looks like - up, down, up a bit, down a lot, back up a lot, down a bit. If the trend is downwards, you're doing a great job.

If you're not already doing it, track your weight via MFP so that you can look at the weight graph every so often, to reaffirm your downward trend and remind yourself where you've come from.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. Forget about what other people are doing. Your rate of loss is healthy and sustainable.

One week without a drop is irrelevant. Water weight can fluctuate multiple pounds per day, even more so if your weigh-in is during the day rather than first thing consistently.

I agree with something a couple of posts above. Set smaller goals, not just weight, also fitness. Maybe it's walk X distance, or climb or jog up a flight of stairs without being out of breath after, or do Y squats, etc.

The Biggest Loser people lost weight quickly, and look what happened to them after.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was the realization that there really isn't a finish line here. It's not like you get to some target point and it's game over. Actually, when you get to that point, you've not reached the finish line, but the starting line. I liken it to training for an endurance event...the dieting and getting acquainted with proper nutrition and a healthy amount of exercise isn't the race...it's training for the real race ahead, which is maintaining and healthy weight and lifestyle for the rest of your life.

I also didn't put my focus solely on losing weight...it wasn't really the primary goal, but rather it ended up being a very nice side effect of good living. Going into all of this, my health was pretty rough...really bad blood work all the way around, dangerously high blood pressure, class I obesity, etc, etc, etc. My primary goal was to get my health in order so I started researching nutrition...started implementing better nutrition into my diet...started exercising regularly, etc. Slowly but surely my health markers improved which was the biggest win for me...and as a nice side effect I was losing weight.

Also realize that 1.5 Lbs per week is actually a pretty good clip. Those 3-4 Lbs per week type of losses are typically short lived and take place in the early days of weight loss when a lot of that loss is mostly water. Mathematically speaking to lose 4 Lbs of actual fat in a week, one would need to be in a 2,000 calorie per day deficit which in most cases would mean starving ones self and not eating at all...so when in doubt, do the math. Nobody is really losing 4 Lbs of fat in a week.

Losing weight, and weight management in general is about long term trend lines. In your day to day and week to week as you go along, you're going to have times when your weight is up...when your weight is down...and when your weight is the same. This is because inevitably normal and natural bodyweight fluctuations come into play as bodyweight isn't a static thing. This is true for maintenance as well...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs all of the time because you're always going to have fluctuations in waste and food in your digestive tract...changes in body water composition, etc. Here's what losing weight looks like long term plotted on a graph...notice the individual weigh in points are all over the place, but also not the red trend line over time...that's what's important.

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature-1024x538.png