Nutrition inaccuracies

Options
Please don’t rely on the nutritional data of foods in this app, double check before accepting. As the foods are added by users there is a risk of errors. For example, I looked up Alpro Blackberry and Raspberry yogourt. The label states 0.3gm per 100gm of salt but the app says 0.3mg, 1/1000th of the actual amount! Supermarket websites are a good source of reliable data.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    cnmb5zrns8 wrote: »
    Please don’t rely on the nutritional data of foods in this app, double check before accepting. As the foods are added by users there is a risk of errors. For example, I looked up Alpro Blackberry and Raspberry yogourt. The label states 0.3gm per 100gm of salt but the app says 0.3mg, 1/1000th of the actual amount! Supermarket websites are a good source of reliable data.

Yes, these things get mentioned here regularly. Welcome to the forum, btw. One note: this is an international website. In many countries supermarkets don't have products or nutritional info available online. Comparing with the actual packaging, if there's packaging is probably the way forward. As is using common sense.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Lots of inaccurate entries for sure. But I personally would not depend on a supermarket's information as I have seen many inaccurate listings. Just last week, I was looking for nutrition information for hot cross buns (sweet bread-like rolls with candied fruit and icing). The ones I found were approximately 3 ounces and the store site said they were 22 calories each. I think they missed a zero at the end.
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 256 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    paints5555 wrote: »
    Lots of inaccurate entries for sure. But I personally would not depend on a supermarket's information as I have seen many inaccurate listings. Just last week, I was looking for nutrition information for hot cross buns (sweet bread-like rolls with candied fruit and icing). The ones I found were approximately 3 ounces and the store site said they were 22 calories each. I think they missed a zero at the end.

But wouldn’t that be great … hot cross buns for 22 calories! Agree though,best to work out own stuff. Stuff without labels is harder; I look it up in my Calorie Carb Bible (UK) take an average of what I find & log that …. Maybe slight inaccuracies.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)