Stop and Smell the Veggies: Eat Green for Earth Month With MyFitnessPal!

Options
Betty
Betty Posts: 8,853 MFP Staff
edited June 2023 in Food and Nutrition
0nb8wb9vpl7g.jpg

In a recent survey, MyFitnessPal found that 90% of our members still eat meat, with 60% reporting they eat the same amount of meat as they did five years ago. Though eating meat can provide rich amounts of protein and certain vitamins, incorporating plant-based meals into your diet is not only good for you — it’s good for our planet.

To celebrate Earth Month and bring awareness of the impact of our food consumption to our members, MyFitnessPal is launching an in-app Eat Green Plan: a 14-day guide full of quick tips to reduce your environmental footprint, strategies for picking low-carbon impact foods, and other ways to reduce waste.

DON’T HAVE THE APP? GET STARTED HERE!

In addition to discovering how you can best reduce your carbon “foodprint,” we’re giving you some delicious meatless alternatives to our most-logged recipes.

Recipes include Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Curry, Cauliflower Gnocchi with Eggplant Ragu, Butternut Squash Black Bean Chili, and more. Get these recipes from the Eat Green Plan’s (plant-based!) Recipe Collection.

HOW TO JOIN THE PLAN:
  • Open the app and tap Plans at the bottom of your screen
  • Then, tap the Free filter
  • Scroll down to check out our Eat Green Plan

fhi3dv2s1b00.jpg

START EATING GREEN!

Making simple swaps toward sustainable, healthy choices can have a positive impact on your health (and the planet’s, too).

What are some of your favorite ways to eat more sustainably? Let us know in the comments.

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I love this, I eat WFPB already but would love to see the recipes. I clicked on link but it rid not work? It took me to the MFP app
  • Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,853 MFP Staff
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I love this, I eat WFPB already but would love to see the recipes. I clicked on link but it rid not work? It took me to the MFP app

Hi @VegjoyP, The recipes are in the Recipe Discovery section in the app. You will need to click on the link while using the app or go to the More menu, then Click Recipe Discovery and scroll through the recipe collections till you see the "Eat Green" collection.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,996 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I've belonged to a group called "Slow Food" since 1987 and as a chef have participated in events over the years, not so much in the last decade or so though. Anyway now my philosophy for sustainability is based on local and regionally raised and grown foods from a variety of people that practice responsible farming and unfortunately April in my area is not a great month to showcase green produce but can't wait until that starts. Cheers
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I like to grow a vegetable garden. I had limited space at our home in Oregon but was able to grow bush beans, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. I was also able to grow wonderful blueberries. They are my favorites. Gardening is not possible here, but I’m confident I can grow the things I love at my daughter’s home.

Katla in Illinois
  • aimeelynncreates
    aimeelynncreates Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Having our garden and canning/preserving/freezing is huge for us, but the biggest change we experienced was when we lived on our farm and raised our own organic pastured heirloom chickens for meat. The taste was so different and the process was so much more humane than the stuff you get at the store (even the 'organic' chickens at the store are rarely if ever pasture-raised, which is the only guarantee they are treated humanely, as 'free range' is a fairly meaningless term), so we have very few cravings for chicken outside of what we raise and would rather 'invest' in a more expensive pastured chicken at the farmer's market (we sold our farm last year and downsized) for special occasions, and eat vegetarian 4-5 days a week. We also buy shares of wild Alaskan salmon through Iliamna (https://redsalmon.com/) - it's so good, so sustainable, and supports small business. My husband is a butcher at a co-op, so you might think we eat a lot of meat, but we actually eat less because we savor it more :)
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A great initiative with fab recipes - thanks!