Hey There Everyone😊

Options
Does anyone have any tips for avoiding last night snacks? Any advice that has worked for you?
Tagged:

Replies

• susanashcraft6939
    susanashcraft6939 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Late Night Snack eating*
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the issue is.

If it's habit, boredom, or something like that, then it's usually easier to add a new, positive substitute habit rather than trying to quit cold turkey.

If it's truly hunger or appetite, make sure you're not trying to lose weight faster than sensible, which is not healthy and can make the body push back harder. If you're going for slow weight loss and still having that type of issue, then experiment with different timing of foods, nutrients, meals to see if you can find a pattern that's more satisfying for you. That tends to be individual. I found I did better in the evening if I got a solid breakfast with ample protein, then protein through the day . . . but that's just me.

If it's stress related, look for things that deal with the stress more directly, such as mild exercise, bubblebath, journaling, calming music, . . . etc.

Keep in mind that appetite/cravings can be fatigue related, because when we're fatigued our bodies seek out energy, and food is energy. If your sleep quality/quantity is sub-par, improving that might help. Or, if you're exercising to the point of persistent fatigue in pursuit of faster weight loss (a pretty common thing) . . . back off the exercise to the point where it's a mild, manageable challenge, but more energizing than fatiguing for the rest of the day. Too-intense exercise can bleed activity out of the rest of the day, be counter-productive for total daily calorie burn.

If you like snacking at night, then another option is to budget some calories for that, and plan some reasonable snacks that you enjoy for those calories. Timing of eating doesn't affect overall fat loss. That stuff about "don't eat after X P.M." is mostly nonsense, except to the extent that it might limit a person's total daily calorie intake.
  • Brandonnnn1214
    Brandonnnn1214 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird, but if I feel hunger late at night, or even boredom eating - pickles. They last forever in the fridge so you don’t have to worry about them going bad. You can get a handful of flavors (zesty, bread and butter, spicy, etc) so you don’t get tired of the same taste. They are low in calories, but can often be high in sodium. But for me at least - grabbing a spear or two will curb the late night snack craving.

I don’t recommend opening the jar and finishing it in one sitting 😂
  • Michelle239276
    Michelle239276 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink water, chew gum, if I’m hungry I eat celery, cucumbers or green pepper slices. If I’m bored eating sunflower seeds in shell, but I only eat one at a time to drag it out 😂
  • CalisthenicsTraining
    CalisthenicsTraining Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Training takes a lot out of me and makes me quite hungry. I make sure I drink 2 litres of water daily, I have a coffee morning, afternoon, cup of tea in the evening. This helps me to feel full between meals. The tea I have is only 4 calories. These drinks on top of my allowed calories usually does the job for me
  • p1rick
    p1rick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are some great low calorie options out there such as watermelon, cucumber and even celery... they are mostly water based, so they'll fill you up and not pack a punch... my two cents
  • Meltini21
    Meltini21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is going to seem odd, and I hope you do anyway but one of my best tactics I’ve used for the past 7 years is I brush my teeth after my final meal, lol. Everything tastes disgusting after and it’s a habit that has eventually stayed for the most part.
  • TheIncredibleMissE
    TheIncredibleMissE Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, girl I am also a HUGE fan of late night snacks lol

Here's how I (mostly) kicked the habit

~ Do something with your hands while you watch TV/scroll/read, like knit, color in coloring books, doodle, paint, etc. Half the time it's just your brain trying to stay on autopilot while you sit, so give it something to do.

~ Go to bed earlier the first few nights you go 'snack free.' If you go to bed an hour or so sooner, that's and entire hour that you don't have to think about ice cream, chips, or popcorn! Plus breakfast will feel closer lol.

~ If you're snacky and you can't stand it, have a snack! You're trying to get healthy, not feel miserable. Just try to swap it out for something a little better for you and more filling, or at least a smaller portion of the snack you were actually craving. Try to skip sugary foods, or your snack cravings will start up stronger the next night. If you want, plan your (rare) night snack ahead of time, so it won't mess with your daily macro plans.

~ Find a ritual. I swapped out my popcorn snack for herbal tea, but that felt so miserable to me. I realized the reason was that the experience of making fresh popcorn and adding my seasonings was gone, and microwaving a cup of essentially hot flavored water wasn't replacing it fully. So, I made it feel special and fancy. I now use a kettle each night and brew Lavender Chamomile tea, and add honey and warm almond milk with a fancy mug to make it a latte. On the very rare occasion that I have whipped cream handy, I might add a lil on top so it feels like Starbucks 😉

~ Have a bigger dinner. I know, we're supposed to have our big meals in the mornings, but if you are able to, opt for a really filling, nutrient-dense last meal. Trust me.

~ Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drink AT MOST about four cups of water an hour, but at least eight glasses a day. I sip water with lime juice throughout the day (along with my normal coffee/matcha tea) and it's just flavorful enough to not be boring, haha. Avoid highly acidic beverages if you have heartburn or similar issues, of course. If you hate water, drink it at room temperature, so you can just guzzle it down and get it over with, lol.

Good luck 👍

• mermaidgirle
    mermaidgirle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a big fan of a mug of tea if I am feeling snacky and I have used my calorie budget up. Sometimes my mouth just feels lonely, but I am not even particularly hungry. There are some fantastic dessert flavored teas out there, which gives you the flavors but control over the sugar content. Good luck!