Can't Maintain Weight

Options
I have not been able to maintain my weight since my teens...I can lose it, but an amount always comes back and I am on the "diet" again. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I find it great that you can do that. I would love to ! But I tried a similar approach (with healthy Emmie if you know her program) and for me that was cognitive restriction (even if I was not hungry and could eat other foods) and it triggered binging.
    Now I try to eat everything I want but in moderation. Some days it goes well some days not so well.
    Today was not a particularly good day, I ate almost 700kcal of chocolate spread and cereals (in 3 times not in once). It is not a binge but... well it is not how I want to eat. The rest of the food I ate today was healthy and balanced. I am learning. I hope by not restricting too much I will start craving less of this kind of food...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    What is "an amount always comes back"? What amount? To some extent, that is completely normal. When you come out of a calorie deficit and eat more calories and consume more food in general you will have an increase in body water composition (water has mass and thus weight) as well as more food and inherent waste in your digestive track (also has mass and thus weight). When I first lost weight, I dropped down to around 178...but my average maintenance is around 183 due to what I mentioned above...it also can fluctuate from that average up or down very easily a few pounds day to day due to that composition mentioned.

The scale doesn't just weigh fat
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree. I started maintenance in February but took 2kg before stabilizing. You have to know it to avoid panic !!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The changes that you make when you are on the "diet" need to be changes that you can sustain for the rest of your life. The likely reason that you regain weight is that you go back to your "normal" eating habits after reaching your weight goal.

For me, there was very little calorie difference between losing weight slowly and maintaining my weight. I had to make permanent changes to my diet in order to maintain the loss.

For these reasons, you have to make changes that do not make you miserable. That means including the foods that you love (in moderation) and frankly, always being mindful of calorie intake.

I think the biggest mistake people make is over-restricting and denying themselves any enjoyment in their way of eating.

Figure out what changes you can make that will help you lose weight, but you also feel good about keeping up permanently. There is no end date for weight management.

I agree with this 100%.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Generally speaking here, I don't believe in before and after photos. I threw every before photo into the trash. I don't want to hold myself up to a negative standard. Ooo, look. You've eaten yourself UP to your highest weight. Now, let's take a photo so it will go down into history.

I'm not going into any plan like that, and I'm not going out like that. My family believes that if you go into great detail telling others how you're going to go about reaching any goal, it disperses your energy into a million different particles. It's like a dust scattering into the sunlight. Your laser focus just went out the window.

We work in silence and let our passion, desire, determination, focus drive us to our goals. No after photos. Can't get too big for your britches, so to speak. Your mind will start to coast. You've accomplished everything. Now, you can rest and relax.

There's no beginning or end. No start or finish. No befores and no afters, they can easily become a disconnect for the brain. Let the afters take care of themselves, when I'm gone. Really gone. Taking a dirt nap.

Until then, it's pedal to metal. Don't take your foot off the gas. Momentum is everything. Motivation wanes and runs out, it's a limited resource. No one can do any of this for you.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to maintain a weight that is too low for you? Sometimes people choose an inappropriate goal weight....you can lose weight and get down to it, but if you can't stay there without restricting all the time...it might not be the weight for you.
  • Mark031111
    Mark031111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    shift your focus from diets to sustainable changes. Create a balanced eating plan with regular enjoyable exercise. Practice mindful eating and seek professional guidance if needed
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    OP never responded back. Wonder if she's still struggling.

DON'T DIET. Find a way of eating that you can maintain weight and stick with it. Sometimes there's trial and error and most of the time there will more error, but it can be figured out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I feel you OP. For at least the last ~13 years I’ve been up and down almost 70 lbs. Reading the advice is gut-wrenching. It doesn’t make it any less true, unfortunately. Due to childhood foolishness and neglect (and unknown disability at the time), my ability has been a downward slope this entire weight loss journey. So I’m sending you and everyone in here seeking advice some hope and hugs. It’s against nature for this to be easy and disorders and disabilities definitely don’t help! Genuinely I came onto the forums to vent about this struggle that a lot of people deal with!