Advice on changing strength program

Options
MrsLg
MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
Looking for some advice on whether I should be changing up my strength program. I've been doing ICF 5x5 (but the 3x5 version as I was in a deficit) for 4 months now.
I am now at maintenence calories and have decided to try to recomp. Should I change programs or is it OK to do the same one for a while? I am still enjoying it and not bored with it, but want to make sure I am doing the right thing to make the most amount of progress. Thanks for any input!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's up to you really and where you are and how your progression has been...and also, just what you want to do. Typically beginner strength programs like ICF, SS, SL, etc are run for about 3-4 months or so before moving to an intermediate program. Basically when linear gains start to stall is when people advance to an intermediate program.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,276 Member
    Options
    Have you been keeping a log of your workouts? If you are still making steady progress in improving your lifts, there's usually no problem with sticking with what you're doing, since you enjoy it still. When you stop improving and/or stop enjoying what you're doing, that's a good sign it's time to change.

Realize, though, that "change" doesn't have to mean a whole-sale change EVERYTHING AT ONCE situation. You can swap out one or two exercises (BB for DB for cable), swap the order performed, reverse which one gets hammered (for example, go from Bench 5x5, DB bench 3x10 to DB bench 5x5, bench 3x10) and a hundred other options. Or you can try something new...go from whole body to PPL to bro-split for example.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    recomp can be a slippery slope as far as being successful or not. What is your height and weight?
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I am female, 5ft 7.5 and weigh 145lb.
    I am still using very light weights but have built up from just using the bar!
    I am still progressing with my lifts, albeit it slowly.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    MrsLg wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I am female, 5ft 7.5 and weigh 145lb.
    I am still using very light weights but have built up from just using the bar!
    I am still progressing with my lifts, albeit it slowly.

Your stats are good so your diet and training will be the make or break factors whether you're successful or not
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Thanks, I feel I am training OK but it's the diet I struggle with. I'm learning every week how to improve though. I am aiming for between 100g and 120g of protein. Does that sound OK?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's up to you really and where you are and how your progression has been...and also, just what you want to do. Typically beginner strength programs like ICF, SS, SL, etc are run for about 3-4 months or so before moving to an intermediate program. Basically when linear gains start to stall is when people advance to an intermediate program.

You are correct that they are bigginger programs, but you can do them for well over 3-4 months. In fact, they are probably best to do long term until you stop making progress after a few deloads. For most this will be much closer to a year or more, if you were a true beginner when starting. then you can move on to something like Madcow, PHUL, etc.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    MrsLg wrote: »
    Thanks, I feel I am training OK but it's the diet I struggle with. I'm learning every week how to improve though. I am aiming for between 100g and 120g of protein. Does that sound OK?
    That's fine

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,276 Member
    Options
    For your bodyweight, that sounds fine.
  • MrsLg
    Options
    Thank you all! I think I will stick to what I am doing for a while longer if it won't affect my progress.