What time

Options
should you not eat past? I know everyone has different opinions but what time is too late? It's 11:30pm here and I am ready for bed and I see I am short about 200 cal til I hit 1200. Is it too late for a bowl of cereal?

Replies

• paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    should you not eat past? I know everyone has different opinions but what time is too late? It's 11:30pm here and I am ready for bed and I see I am short about 200 cal til I hit 1200. Is it too late for a bowl of cereal?
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I have only been on here for a short while, but I don't think it is to late. Enjoy your cereal! :smile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would grab a handful of nuts ...but cereal is good as well of course...I personally dont eat after 6pm and it works for me ....:flowerforyou:
  • paula123
    Options
    I don't usually eat this late but I wouldn't mind a bowl of all bran right about now!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I don't like to go to sleep hungry. I wouldn't eat anything heavy but cereal would be good.
    I don't have a set cut off time.
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've always heard 2 hrs before bed. But who knows, they change their mind about these things on the daily basis. I don't ever follow that and I don't think that having a small snack would be a problem, especially when you are so low on your caloric intake.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    So far there are no studies that I have found that say you will gain weight if you eat past a certain time.

I eat very late..in fact its 11:52PM here and I have cals left over so Im about to go eat :)

I have been losing weight and I regularly have dinner anywhere from 8-9:30 PM and sometimes later. In many cultures eating at 8PM or even later is perfectly normal.

As long as you stay in your cals and it doesnt effect your sleep or health ( acid reflux) then I don't think it matters.

enjoy your food :flowerforyou:

Sul
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my very knowledgeable friend songbyrd has said that your tummy doesn't have a watch on, if you need calories, eat them.

that said, a very large meal can interfere with your sleep, so keep it reasonable.

a bowl of cereal won't hurt at all.
  • chickadee10
    chickadee10 Posts: 350
    Options
    I should eat nothing after 6 pm. But that is so hard for me. I always get hungry around 8 or 9 and end up eating something, usually something I regret. Ugh it's so difficult! :sad:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    eating late isn't a problem as long as it doesn't keep you up night. i've found that if i don't eat before i go to bed, then i tend to overeat in the morning.
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Honestly, I used to abide by the "eating late isn't a problem...blah blah blah" thing, but honestly- that's when I started putting on weight. I think if you go to bed and you haven't reached your 1200 calories, you're gonna be okay. Go to bed. Going to be hungry will have you waking up hungry and ready to eat a healthy breakfast. If I eat before I go to bed, I often don't wake up hungry and then I eat anyways (Even though I am not hungry) just b/c I know that we're not supposed to start the day sans breakfast BUT at the same time, my body is not asking for food. It's okay to be hungry. Feeling a little hungry is actually a good thing. We shouldn't always have to be full. That's a lie society has led us to believe. I ran 4.5 miles today and am technically "805" calories under my "recommended" daily dosage, but it's 10pm and I am not going to go and chow down. If you burn more than you eat or eat less than your recommended calories (within reason), that's when you're gonna burn fat and lose weight. So I am gonna go on the contradictory side to all other posts and say- "200 calories or not- Don't eat. Go to bed. Get up tomorrow and have a nice breakfast. Your body will be extra ready for it then and you'll utilize those calories and nutrients from your food more efficiently."
  • criztawl
    criztawl Posts: 34
    Options
    My nutritionalist said that I should stop eating 2-3 hours before bed. The reason being that your body then struggles to digest your food and sleep at the same time. I prefer having great sleep so I abide by the "No food 2 hours before bed " rule!
  • paula123
    Options
    Thanks I will try not to eat 2-3 hours before I go to bed! :smile:
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have worked with a personal trainer since November '08. He always said it is not when you eat, but rather what you eat and never to go to sleep hungry. I don't know how active you are, but I for example, have my cereal, toast and carbs in general in the morning, and then focus on fibers and proteins throughout the day and end the day with healthy fats (because our body burns fats when we rest/sleep). So, instead of eating carbs and protein in the evening, I make myself a ham and cheese roll-up with some lettuce or grab a handful of mixed nuts. Hope this helps. It will probably be different with you and your goals, but keep in mind- it is not when you eat, but rather what food choices you make.
  • chickadee10
    chickadee10 Posts: 350
    Options
    Thanks I will try not to eat 2-3 hours before I go to bed! :smile:
    I'm going to try not to eat about 2 hours before bed. Which would be nothing after 6pm.
  • paula123
    Options
    I eat all bran cereal, I am not really a cereal person, but I know that one has alot of fiber in it. I also have raisin bran too sometimes.