Meal selections while on a camping vacation

Options
Sherbog
Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
Summer is on us I hope. I spend a great deal of my summer RV camping in our national forests. Just recently started a plant base meal plan.

Anyone have any meal suggestions to help me stay true to getting healthy? I so used to throwing meat on the campfire grill. I do prepare healthy soups to freeze for trips.

wuxw3cwbecl7.jpg

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Firm tofu, tempeh, veggies, or a firm vegan polenta can be put on the grill, among other possibilities. For canoe camping, I used to use bulgar wheat as a hearty base for cold salads or as a side - take it with you dry, pour hot water on it in the morning, it's hydrated in time for lunch. Either get the grain with seasoning already in it, or add what you like, including veggies. Pretty sure quinoa would work, too, and has a little more protein. Veggies in tin foil are good on the grill, and you can add in a plant protein of choice.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love camping cooking! Vegetables can be grilled. One memorable meal was a can of beans and a can of tomatoes and spices warmed in my little cast-iron pot. It made great campfire tacos.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,899 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for me camping always brought out the primal in me and camping wouldn't be the same eating soy, need meat. Anyway, camping rocks and I do hope you enjoy your food, I'm jealous right now but will be spending a few weekends camping on my motorcycle. Cheers
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    I refuse to live without my daily meat portions, so no menu options from me, sorry. But going without meat should simplify things from the perspective of not needing to keep your food refrigerated.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I spend several weeks in the field every summer, and have been plant-based for about 5 years. My camp food planning centers around a good stock of dried goods like oatmeal, bulk TVP and nutritional yeast. I then plan on picking up both fresh produce and canned veggies about every 4-6 days--depending on my cooler space.

Adding to @Rockmama1111 's suggestion, canned beans and canned tomatoes store well in a camper van and can quickly turn into campfire Tex-Mex chili or taco filling, Italian pasta sauce, or Indian curry just by switching up the dry seasonings. Throw in a handful of TVP to boost the protein and a few shakes of nutritional yeast, and it's dinner :-)

A lot of "dry storage" veggies like sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, and cabbage don't necessarily need to be kept on ice and will grill beautifully or stew over a campfire beautifully.

Oatmeal (or actually my own hybrid grain mix) is another mainstay for me. Beyond breakfast, a handful thrown in with stewed veggies of any kind acts as a thickener and boosts protein (and don't forget the curry or chili seasonings!).

Finally, don't forget the peanut butter!

Finally, peanut butter
  • Sherbog
    Options
    I love camping cooking! Vegetables can be grilled. One memorable meal was a can of beans and a can of tomatoes and spices warmed in my little cast-iron pot. It made great campfire tacos.

• Sherbog
    Options
    I do much the same and camping taco's is always on the meal list.
  • Sherbog
    Options
    I spend several weeks in the field every summer, and have been plant-based for about 5 years. My camp food planning centers around a good stock of dried goods like oatmeal, bulk TVP and nutritional yeast. I then plan on picking up both fresh produce and canned veggies about every 4-6 days--depending on my cooler space.

Adding to @Rockmama1111 's suggestion, canned beans and canned tomatoes store well in a camper van and can quickly turn into campfire Tex-Mex chili or taco filling, Italian pasta sauce, or Indian curry just by switching up the dry seasonings. Throw in a handful of TVP to boost the protein and a few shakes of nutritional yeast, and it's dinner :-)

A lot of "dry storage" veggies like sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, and cabbage don't necessarily need to be kept on ice and will grill beautifully or stew over a campfire beautifully.

Oatmeal (or actually my own hybrid grain mix) is another mainstay for me. Beyond breakfast, a handful thrown in with stewed veggies of any kind acts as a thickener and boosts protein (and don't forget the curry or chili seasonings!).

Finally, don't forget the peanut butter!

Finally, peanut butter

• Sherbog
    Options
    I precook several meals such as pasta sauce, veggie Chile, etc. I do the same as you when it comes to the veggies the do not require residential space in the cooler. Last camping trip I discovered what a treat zucchini is grilled on the campfire. Thanks for your informative post.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I camp a lot...I'm not plant based, but for the most part I eat the same things camping that I do at home. The biggest difference is that I'm in the forest instead of on my patio.