Less To Lose - Stupid Scale Refuses To Play Nice

Options
I just gotta vent: Has anyone else out there experienced almost no weight loss, no matter how little/much they eat? Admittedly, I have less to lose (about ten pounds), but I've tried eating my exercise calories, NOT eating my exercise calories, eating -200 calories than my daily allotment, going over, under, around and through. No change on the scale! In fact, I've gained a couple pounds back (but I refuse to adjust my ticker because I'm stubborn). I am maintaining like a champ, though! I guess there's that. :grumble:

I hate that I'm so psychologically invested in a number on a scale, and I'm trying to let it go and just pay attention to the measurements and how my clothes fit. But it's frustrating, because I gained all this weight and now it's not going away! I broke down yesterday and went to In-N-Out for a grilled cheese and fries, but by and large I've been eating better than I ever have in my life, controlling my sodium intake and cholesterol which were way out of control for years, and I'm exercising daily, doing 30-60 minutes of aerobics and walking to and from the campus, and I can definitely see physical changes in my body. It's just not reflected in the scale numbers. Highly irritating.

(And before anyone asks, no, it's not PMS-related, either. In fact, I seem to be gaining less during the lead up to shark week, which is definitely awesome. Used to be, I'd pack on 5+ pounds over the course of two weeks, but now I'm only seeing a 1-2 lbs increase. :bigsmile: )

Replies

• slowmover54
    Options
    I hear ya and feel almost exactly the same...so damned frustrating....I know I could be more active, but there's no way I can eat less.
    Hang in there and try to not obsess on the numbers....lol! I know ...easier said than done!
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm down 20 and would like to take off another 20, but I've been "maintaining" where I am for months. There is a little wiggle up an down, but not much movement regardless of eating more, eating less, blah blah. I don't really want to go some weird metabolism booster route but there might be something out there for that????? Also, I exercise vigorously at least three times a week plus daily walks. Sometimes the old bod cries for a break though. Hang in there! You have done so well so far. As long as the clothes don't get tighter you can glory in that.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    yes ma'am. you just defined my life.

i started at 143. i've been hovering between 138-141 this entire time... and i've been here since May.
    I just gotta vent: Has anyone else out there experienced almost no weight loss, no matter how little/much they eat? Admittedly, I have less to lose (about ten pounds), but I've tried eating my exercise calories, NOT eating my exercise calories, eating -200 calories than my daily allotment, going over, under, around and through. No change on the scale! In fact, I've gained a couple pounds back (but I refuse to adjust my ticker because I'm stubborn). I am maintaining like a champ, though! I guess there's that. :grumble:

I hate that I'm so psychologically invested in a number on a scale, and I'm trying to let it go and just pay attention to the measurements and how my clothes fit. But it's frustrating, because I gained all this weight and now it's not going away! I broke down yesterday and went to In-N-Out for a grilled cheese and fries, but by and large I've been eating better than I ever have in my life, controlling my sodium intake and cholesterol which were way out of control for years, and I'm exercising daily, doing 30-60 minutes of aerobics and walking to and from the campus, and I can definitely see physical changes in my body. It's just not reflected in the scale numbers. Highly irritating.

(And before anyone asks, no, it's not PMS-related, either. In fact, I seem to be gaining less during the lead up to shark week, which is definitely awesome. Used to be, I'd pack on 5+ pounds over the course of two weeks, but now I'm only seeing a 1-2 lbs increase. :bigsmile: )
  • zarozinia
    zarozinia Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I hear ya and feel almost exactly the same...so damned frustrating....I know I could be more active, but there's no way I can eat less.
    Hang in there and try to not obsess on the numbers....lol! I know ...easier said than done!

TOTALLY easier said than done! I know that a large part of it is that we have it ingrained in us that the scale is the almighty arbiter of progress or failure, but it really isn't. I'd toss the scale all together if I thought I could get away with not monitoring my weight, but I can't. I gained put on all this weight when I was no longer weighing myself regularly, so I think it is a useful tool to have... But it's not the only tool! I'm getting much better results from my measuring tape, thankfully. I am seeing the inches go away, one 1/8" at a time.

I think part of it is seeing so many people here posting crazy weight loss success in the matter of a few months, but every body is different. I'm sure I'm replacing fat with muscle, but it just seems like this stage would have passed by now (two months in). I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that I'm a slow-and-stead-loser.
  • zarozinia
    Options
    yes ma'am. you just defined my life.

i started at 143. i've been hovering between 138-141 this entire time... and i've been here since May.

Hopefully you've been seeing results in other areas, though!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yup.... it sounds like you just told my own story. The last 10 are the most difficult to lose as the body is working against you.... it wants to GAIN the weight you've lost..... it's a little phenomenon known as 'homeostasis'. Eventually and very suddenly, your body will accept 'this' weight as 'healthy' and allow you to lose a couple of pounds one week.... and then you may be stuck at that new low for a few more weeks (months?).... just hang in there. Weight loss happens. :happy:

My profile reads that I have 8 more lbs to lose and it is mostly true since I do hit that 'lowest' weight from time to time, but my brain recalls the higher number.... I keep bouncing between 124 and 126 and my goal is 116; but when I think about the BIG picture, how I have already lost more lbs than I can actually keep track of (54 lbs from my very highest!).... and how there was a time when I was stuck at 140.... another when I could not BREAK '30' (and the reason why I started on MFP).... being stuck at 124-126 sounds almost like I have 'arrived' in some way. Part of the process, I believe, is acceptance. Accept and acknowledge your good work thus far and how great you look! Don't buy real estate 'here' but allow your body the time to resolve and accept that you are NOT going to gain the weight back.

I am also saying this to myself. An awesome friend of mine pointed out that I have this terrible habit of standing in front of a mirror to 'look' for the flaws instead of admiring the new and improved body. No wonder I'm stuck. Every time I get in front of the mirror I show up with a critical attitude. Could I be stalling my weight by the way I 'see' myself? Hmmm.... I know it's a bit 'deep' but we are complicated beings, after all.... and I'd like you to consider the same possibility.

Weight loss happens. Just keep on. :flowerforyou:
  • zarozinia
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded... Well, I may have figured out what the problem was with the weight gain. Turns out I started my period today. Yeah. A whole 2 weeks early. Guess you never can tell what the heck is up with your body, despite how well you THINK you know what's going on!