Calories question?

Options
So im on 1600 to 1800 calories a day , but every single calorie calculator i use is saying i'd loose weight on 3000 calories , is it because my weight is high? I feel healthy and fine on the calories im eating , im eating the right foods doing the right stuff. Its more of a curiosity question than anything else.

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight and activity level
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    TonyNeedstolooseweight Posts: 50 Member
    Options

170cm / 145kg , power walking 3 times a day , morning noon and night sometimes 4 or 5 times a day! 2mph on incline of 4 to 8 , i increase the incline as i get further into my walk. Been doing this for a month now , lost 20 pounds so far.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    Options
    So you're 5'7" and 320 pounds currently.

Yeah, you'd lose weight at 3,000 calories, but nowhere near as much as you are. Even assuming some pounds from initial water loss, that looks like an aggressive loss rate. Not too high, but high.

How much protein are you getting? This site recommends 175g for you, which would be 40% of your current intake. You may want to consider going to 2,000 calories, while getting that much protein, and keeping up with your walking. A less aggressive loss plus a good amount of protein will help retain your muscle mass as you drop, so more of your losses will be fat.

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options

170cm / 145kg , power walking 3 times a day , morning noon and night sometimes 4 or 5 times a day! 2mph on incline of 4 to 8 , i increase the incline as i get further into my walk. Been doing this for a month now , lost 20 pounds so far.

Figure how many calories you've been taking in and how the weightloss has gone in the last few weeks. if you've lost 20 lbs in a month that's amazing so don't try to re invent the wheel calorie wise. Some of that was probably water weight though. Shoot for 2 ish lbs a week of loss. At 320 you could shoot for a bit more though until you lose more.
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options

Yeah, you'd lose weight at 3,000 calories, but nowhere near as much as you are. Even assuming some pounds from initial water loss, that looks like an aggressive loss rate. Not too high, but high.

How much protein are you getting? This site recommends 175g for you, which would be 40% of your current intake. You may want to consider going to 2,000 calories, while getting that much protein, and keeping up with your walking. A less aggressive loss plus a good amount of protein will help retain your muscle mass as you drop, so more of your losses will be fat.

I'm getting about 150grams of protein a day , i make sure both my lunch and dinner have a good amount in them . eating a lot of chicken and turkey. But its good to know i can go up to 2000 , my general rule of thumb is if im not hungry i don't eat , if i feel hungry drink water or a diet drink , and if the hunger remains have around 20grams of nuts. Its a good system , i get hunger but im learning to embrace it rather than suffer from it , its not painful or anything , it normally means my next meal is due in about a hour. I never go to bed hungry either , once the day is done im happy and content and go to sleep , and i start the morning off with a protein shake (diet version) , all of the meals are freshly prepared and home cooked to , and i knock 5 pounds off my total loss as water more than likely , but im just going by the scale. I guess i could find a diet protein bar of some kind , ill do my research on a suitable one to bump the protein up a little , maybe add some jerky into the mix. I also got a battle rope off amazon , thing is massive , ill add that into the mix very soon! Thanks for your reply :)
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    ^ Sounds like you've got a great plan, and you're on a good path. I would say good luck, but it doesn't seem like you need it.

Do consider starting to add some weights in the near future though.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is set up so that you add in more calories for purposeful exercise into the Exercise tab. Your activity level is supposed to be just your daily routine (mailman, desk job, factory worker, etc.) Telling myfitnesspal that you exercise XX number of times (on the guided setup page) doesn't affect your basic calorie goals.

99% of other online calculators ask you your exercise level and then figure that into your daily Goal. That would require you to keep up that level of exercise. If you use other calculators, they're figuring in all those workouts. Myfitnesspal expects you to enter them separately into "Exercise."

Here's the difference, and how myfitnesspal calculates: https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

It's six of one, half dozen of the other. Depends on which way you want to account for purposeful exercise. Some people are good at sticking to the same exercises on a consistent basis and some people want a more granular accounting. I prefer to enter the exercise when I do it, but you do have the option to use a set daily calorie number by going to Goals and editing your calorie number if you would prefer to use the same calories every day. If you do that, you would not enter any exercise into this program.

Up to you, but if you use the Guided Setup, you will get a higher number on the other calculators by the amount they figure you're using for all that exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options

I'm getting about 150grams of protein a day , i make sure both my lunch and dinner have a good amount in them . eating a lot of chicken and turkey. But its good to know i can go up to 2000 , my general rule of thumb is if im not hungry i don't eat , if i feel hungry drink water or a diet drink , and if the hunger remains have around 20grams of nuts. Its a good system , i get hunger but im learning to embrace it rather than suffer from it , its not painful or anything , it normally means my next meal is due in about a hour. I never go to bed hungry either , once the day is done im happy and content and go to sleep , and i start the morning off with a protein shake (diet version) , all of the meals are freshly prepared and home cooked to , and i knock 5 pounds off my total loss as water more than likely , but im just going by the scale. I guess i could find a diet protein bar of some kind , ill do my research on a suitable one to bump the protein up a little , maybe add some jerky into the mix. I also got a battle rope off amazon , thing is massive , ill add that into the mix very soon! Thanks for your reply :)

Losing weight fast increases health risk. Obviously, it's your call how much risk you can tolerate, but I'd argue that actual weight loss rate is a better gauge of risk than perceived hunger. Many of us (like me) who've been obese got there partly because our hunger cues are screwed up. "Screwed up" isn't necessarily just "we feel OK eating too much". It can turn into "we feel OK eating too little".

A common rule of thumb is to avoid losing more than 0.5-1% of current weight per week, with a bias toward the lower end of that range unless under close medical supervision for deficiencies or health complications. That would be something like 0.75-1.5kg (1.5-3 pounds, roughly) per week maximum for you, for a while. (Yes, I did some fudge-y rounding in there.)

Very fast weight loss can risk losing more muscle mass than minimum, fatigue that bleeds calorie burn out of our day, weakness (ditto), hair thinning . . . at the mild end. At extremes, which of course are statistically less likely but still in the picture, fast loss can trigger compromised immune system, gallbladder problems, heart damage, etc.

Like I said, your risk tolerance is up to you. As someone who accidentally lost too fast at first, got weak/fatigued, then took multiple weeks to recover back to feeling normal, I'm a fervent believer in keeping risks moderate. Things were much better after I realized that MFP dramatically underestimates my calorie needs, a thing that's rare but possible. It was much better once I set my goals based on my actual loss rate. Much.

On top of that, weight loss tends to have a honeymoon period where motivation is high, fast loss feels motivating, and all systems are GO. But losing a meaningful total amount of weight is not a quick project with a nearby end date. Even at a fast loss rate, it's a many weeks to months to even years kind of effort. And after that, most of us want to stay at that healthy weight, which is a forever endeavor.

Consider the sustainability. Ideally, sometime during weight loss, we experiment, find, practice and groove in a new set of habits, routine patterns of eating and activity, that we can happily keep up forever to stay at a healthy weight. If we do that during loss, maintenance becomes just the simple addition of a few hundred daily calories, not some radical thing. Lots of people fail out of maintenance because they arrive there without a practiced plan. "Go back to normal" is a common maintenance approach . . . sadly, since that's the on-ramp to yo-yo regain, perhaps the least healthy lifestyle.

Honestly, we see a lot of people show up in the Community who are gung ho, losing fast, feeling motivated . . . then in a few weeks, they disappear. Maybe they disappear because some of us weren't supportive, from their perspective, no way to know. But I have suspicions. On the flip side, there are exceptions, but many of the people who are in the Community as long-term weight maintainers now trying to help others . . . well, seems like the most common pattern is that they went with a slow and steady, change routine habits kind of approach.

For myself, I decided not to do anything during loss I wasn't willing to continue long term to stay at a healthy weight, except for a sensibly moderate calorie deficit. Other than that phase where I accidentally lost too fast, that's worked out OK. I've been at a healthy weight now for 7+ years, after about 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity. YMMV.

Regardless, I wish you excellent long-term outcomes, whatever route you choose, because IMO being at a healthy weight is a huge quality of life improvement.
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited May 2023
    Options
    At an obese weight losing the extra weight quickly can be better than taking it slow and staying very overweight for longer. Once a good amount of the weight comes off then it can slow a bit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    At an obese weight losing the extra weight quickly can be better than taking it slow and staying very overweight for longer. Once a good amount of the weight comes off then it can slow a bit.

I agree.

There's nothing wrong with quick weight loss when obese. This of course flies in the face of the icons of nutrition like the CDC or the USDA that say slow and steady weight loss is the best strategy for long term successes. This of course is reductive thinking like most of their recommendations simply because individual health measures are singularly in the hands of your personal medical Dr. and saying otherwise would leave the CDC et al open to litigation, and they're simply not in the business of individual health advice, full stop. Also there's really no science that supports that assertion, but plenty that actually says the opposite to be true. You have to keep in mind that if you decide to be aggressive in your weight loss, that that is the plan for short term and the journey down from your particular weight will probably entail a few different strategies along the way. Focusing on protein would be advisable and your energy is your own body fat, so I would be cutting back on carbs and I would try and consume as much whole nutrient dense and calorie sparing foods for overall satiation (lower fat). Of course the best thing you can do is your own research and not believe anyone on the interwebs, which is generally my approach. cheers

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20443094/

The association between rate of initial weight loss and long-term success in obesity treatment: does slow and steady win the race?

Conclusion: Collectively, findings indicate both short- and long-term advantages to fast initial weight loss. Fast weight losers obtained greater weight reduction and long-term maintenance, and were not more susceptible to weight regain than gradual weight losers.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11707557/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25459211/

• tomcustombuilder
    Options
    ^^^^ Correct

Someone obese will lose quickly on 1800-2000 calories and as they lean out, those calories will represent a smaller and smaller deficit so losses will automatically slow down
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    Wow tons and tons of information from you guys , its important to note i didn't plan to loose so much weight a week , it just happened , im aiming for 2 or 3 pounds a week realistically , also worth noting my energy levels are fantastic in the morning noon and night , for 31 days ive not skipped one session on my treadmill and as the weight comes off i will further increase the speeds on it and so on... I just need to drop more weight so the impact on my joints isn't horrific but it stands at Three 2.0mph walks a day for 30 minute's on a incline. Also i don't deprive myself of crappy foods , i just find a better alternative to suit my lifestyle / health plan , for example pancakes? I make oat pancakes from a recipe i got online , burger and fires? I make turkey burgers and sweet potato fries and some low sugar bbq sauce or sweet chilli or nandos chilli jam! I will never deprive myself of food , because i know the repercussions to my health could be serve. I know my losses will balance out once i reach a certain weight and thats a case of lowering calories possibly and increasing cardio. But for the most part , this is the best diet i've been on in 4 years! And im optimistic
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony, sounds like you've got things under control! I'm about your height and started at 125kg/276lbs in January and am down to 99kg/218lbs today. I ate around 1700 calories per day more or less and I started like you losing a ton the first month and slowing down to 10lbs loss per month now. I'm assuming I'll reach 80kg/180lbs by the late fall if I stick with this.

You're a bit more active than me so you've got that going for you as well.

Keep it up! If you're curious I've got my profile public so you can check how it's gone for someone a bit ahead of you on the journey.
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    drv123 wrote: »
    Hey Tony, sounds like you've got things under control! I'm about your height and started at 125kg/276lbs in January and am down to 99kg/218lbs today. I ate around 1700 calories per day more or less and I started like you losing a ton the first month and slowing down to 10lbs loss per month now. I'm assuming I'll reach 80kg/180lbs by the late fall if I stick with this.

You're a bit more active than me so you've got that going for you as well.

Keep it up! If you're curious I've got my profile public so you can check how it's gone for someone a bit ahead of you on the journey.

Look threw your logs , great stuff! :D And well done on the losses! :D
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    Day 151! and still going strong! B)
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options

262 pounds now from 320 , 80 pounds total loss! wow looking back at this post is insane lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

262 pounds now from 320 , 80 pounds total loss! wow looking back at this post is insane lol

Congrats. Keep it going. :flowerforyou:
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Good grief, Tony! How are you feeling?