Calories question?

Options
2»

Replies

• TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    Good grief, Tony! How are you feeling?

I feel fantastic , tons of energy , playing basketball everyday , walking everyday , feel like a new man , my vision of myself is still bleak , but im getting there with great support from my friends on mfp.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    So you're 5'7" and 320 pounds currently.

Yeah, you'd lose weight at 3,000 calories, but nowhere near as much as you are. Even assuming some pounds from initial water loss, that looks like an aggressive loss rate. Not too high, but high.

How much protein are you getting? This site recommends 175g for you, which would be 40% of your current intake. You may want to consider going to 2,000 calories, while getting that much protein, and keeping up with your walking. A less aggressive loss plus a good amount of protein will help retain your muscle mass as you drop, so more of your losses will be fat.

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/

262 pounds now from 320 , 80 pounds total loss! wow looking back at this post is insane lol

Congrats on the 80 pounds total loss! May 5 was 121 days ago. I sure hope you are slowing down your rate of loss these days.

How many pounds per week has it been for the last month?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So you're 5'7" and 320 pounds currently.

Yeah, you'd lose weight at 3,000 calories, but nowhere near as much as you are. Even assuming some pounds from initial water loss, that looks like an aggressive loss rate. Not too high, but high.

How much protein are you getting? This site recommends 175g for you, which would be 40% of your current intake. You may want to consider going to 2,000 calories, while getting that much protein, and keeping up with your walking. A less aggressive loss plus a good amount of protein will help retain your muscle mass as you drop, so more of your losses will be fat.

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/

262 pounds now from 320 , 80 pounds total loss! wow looking back at this post is insane lol

Congrats on the 80 pounds total loss! May 5 was 121 days ago. I sure hope you are slowing down your rate of loss these days.

How many pounds per week has it been for the last month?

Yeah its like 1 pound a week now 1.5 pounds a week.

Great! That is safer and sustainable :smiley:

How many sizes are you down?
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    I think it was 48 inch waist down to 38 inch waist , could be 37 inches now due to these current jeans falling off to lol But im buying a new pair of jeans in a new size once a month.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,089 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up 👍
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Ha! You're smarter than me. I was holding mine up with belts! And I spent a good several months wondering if my second leg would fit in my pants when I finally bought the right size!

As long as you're willing to adjust AND KEEP ADJUSTING... the current rate sounds like a good basis to have to keep going. Not sure why your vision is bleak because you're doing awesome.

Now try to keep this going and going and going like an energizer bunny. Not the weight loss per se--eventually you will be at normal weight and the loss can not and should not continue forever-- but the general feeling that you've got right now. Ride it and keep riding it till it becomes your expectation and new normal for the day! :wink:

Sure... years down the road it may fade but hopefully the new behaviours will be embedded by then!

How many cal a day are you more or less taking in nowadays on average?
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Ha! You're smarter than me. I was holding mine up with belts! And I spent a good several months wondering if my second leg would fit in my pants when I finally bought the right size!

As long as you're willing to adjust AND KEEP ADJUSTING... the current rate sounds like a good basis to have to keep going. Not sure why your vision is bleak because you're doing awesome.

Now try to keep this going and going and going like an energizer bunny. Not the weight loss per se--eventually you will be at normal weight and the loss can not and should not continue forever-- but the general feeling that you've got right now. Ride it and keep riding it till it becomes your expectation and new normal for the day! :wink:

Sure... years down the road it may fade but hopefully the new behaviours will be embedded by then!

How many cal a day are you more or less taking in nowadays on average?

Anywhere between 1700 to 2000 calories a day , could be as low as 1600 a day depending on the day and the mood , and some meals are just lower in calories. Ignored all the carb scare mongering and all the fat scare mongering , and made a balance between carbs , fiber , and protein and it works for me. I made a post recently on my page , when i was out shopping i got a view of myself from a huge mirror a shop had and it looked like i hadn't lost any weight , i felt massive! My mind set soon changed though and i felt better after a few hours.

And i've had a total of 2 cheat meals on this lifestyle change to , had a few mouthfuls of a high carb high fat Chinese meal and i just couldn't eat anymore , full sugared coke just made me feel sick after 1 can , but i normally crumble after a cheat meal , this time its different. I eat my cheat meal and return to dieting as soon as i've finished eating.

• PAV8888
    Options
    Your self image will take time to join reality.
    Try fitting in a door way with another person, or pass to the outside of a sign between the sign on the sidewalk and the road.... look at pictures of you, especially next to other people, not the mirror and you may be surprised.

Hmmm.... you know I'm gonna say it. Slow down and smell the roses. Your biggest danger is rebound. Try to get used to stuff you like enough and enjoy enough eating in the 2 to 2.5k range (ie start planning for eventual maintenance).

You're buying tickets to the maintenance raffle. Start setting things up by buying extra tickets. Your danger time for regain is not counted in months; but years.... so start setting up ways of moving and eating for the next few years not just the next few months! 😉😘
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    Try fitting in a door way with another person, or pass to the outside of a sign between the sign on the sidewalk and the road.... look at pictures of you, especially next to other people, not the mirror and you may be surprised.

Hmmm.... you know I'm gonna say it. Slow down and smell the roses. Your biggest danger is rebound. Try to get used to stuff you like enough and enjoy enough eating in the 2 to 2.5k range (ie start planning for eventual maintenance).

You're buying tickets to the maintenance raffle. Start setting things up by buying extra tickets. Your danger time for regain is not counted in months; but years.... so start setting up ways of moving and eating for the next few years not just the next few months! 😉😘

Had to read this a few times to get the jist , i am genuinely happy on this diet , the only thing i will eventually swap out is the leaner meats for more fatty meats , like chicken wings (homemade ofc) but i the genius thing to come out in the last few years , halo top ice cream! 390 calories a tub , life is good! Also when im down a little lower ill be replacing zero fat yogurt with full fat yogurt.
  • PAV8888
    edited September 2023
    Options
    you know halo top and the similar higher fiber "ice cream" options were really not bad at all... and I can't recall spotting any of them this year... they seem to have reduced their presence at the locations I normally shop at (BC)
  • herringboxes
    herringboxes Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony, just want you to know something.

You’re a smart guy, a thinker, a problem solver.

You’ve got a great attitude. You keep your eye on the ball and don’t get waylaid by the little stuff.

And you’re an optimist, which is not at all inconsistant with being a realist. You can see the situation but find reason to keep pluggin’, and honestly, that’s actually the most realistic way of looking at it.

So that all adds up to you being able to do any damn thing you put your mind to.

Have a nice day.
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    Hey Tony, just want you to know something.

You’re a smart guy, a thinker, a problem solver.

You’ve got a great attitude. You keep your eye on the ball and don’t get waylaid by the little stuff.

And you’re an optimist, which is not at all inconsistant with being a realist. You can see the situation but find reason to keep pluggin’, and honestly, that’s actually the most realistic way of looking at it.

So that all adds up to you being able to do any damn thing you put your mind to.

Have a nice day.

dam , you just got me seriosuly pumped up :D thanks so much for those words
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think it was 48 inch waist down to 38 inch waist , could be 37 inches now due to these current jeans falling off to lol But im buying a new pair of jeans in a new size once a month.

Thrift stores and Goodwill --or cotton/spandex leggings. These will save the budget. Or cheap cotton/spandex leggings from Walmar/Biglots--so on.

I lost 90 pounds many years ago--I did gain it back but that was a me problem. When I was losing--replacing clothes ever size was so expensive.

If you are not close to your goal weight, you can buy jeans and sweaters at thrift stores/Goodwill. You can also sometimes get clothes on Facebook Marketplace. I tried to keep my 'clothes' costs lower. You really need to good-fitted bottoms. The shirts/sweaters will go down more sizes...but every 40 pounds--the shirts will need replaced as well. Every major milestone --like 25 pounds, I'd get 1 new thing.
    Stretch leggings will go down several sizes before you have to replace them.

I was able to pick up two or three pairs of thrifted pants and maybe 1 or 2 new shirts for about $20-25 bucks total. It let me save my money the next size down.

If that helps you save some cash on clothing. Once you get where you want, splurge on a new wardrobe. Until then, a few base pieces will get through through on a budget.

Shirts and dresses will go up and down more sizes. I find if you just keep fitted pants---you can still look good during the journey and not go bankrupt.

Three or four base pieces you can work around.

Keep in mind, you'll need to replace bras, underwear, your coat, and maybe even shoes as you round out to 90 pounds lost. And that you will want to be new. It's hard not to buy new all the time, but if you still have weight goals--it's best to spend the 'new clothes' money on your final wardrobe.

I found some cute outfits in the thrift.

I am SO HAPPY for you!

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Had to read this a few times to get the jist , i am genuinely happy on this diet , the only thing i will eventually swap out is the leaner meats for more fatty meats , like chicken wings (homemade ofc) but i the genius thing to come out in the last few years , halo top ice cream! 390 calories a tub , life is good! Also when im down a little lower ill be replacing zero fat yogurt with full fat yogurt.

I have a great air fryer chicken wing recipe if you want--breaded--low carb.

If you have a kitchen aid mixer--you can get the ice cream attachment. Use low-carb chocolate or vanilla milk (it's low calorie, high protein, low carb) milk. These two flavors are sweet. You can use it a as a base to make creamy homemade ice-cream or sweet creamy yogurt cream.

:)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »

Thrift stores and Goodwill --or cotton/spandex leggings. These will save the budget. Or cheap cotton/spandex leggings from Walmar/Biglots--so on.

I lost 90 pounds many years ago--I did gain it back but that was a me problem. When I was losing--replacing clothes ever size was so expensive.

(snip)

Keep in mind, you'll need to replace bras, underwear, your coat, and maybe even shoes as you round out to 90 pounds lost. And that you will want to be new. It's hard not to buy new all the time, but if you still have weight goals--it's best to spend the 'new clothes' money on your final wardrobe.

I found some cute outfits in the thrift.

I am SO HAPPY for you!

I 100% endorse the advice about thrift shops and consignment stores while losing weight, and the general philosophy of your post. Just an observation, though: Profile photo suggests Tony is male. Some men do wear leggings, but it's not as common, so may not as good a strategy for him as for us women.

Tony, for some settings, you might consider whether you'd be comfortable in some type of drawstring pants. It's not just sweatpants anymore, I've seen some more dressed-up casual pants for men in light denim, twill, linen, or that sort of thing. Obviously, that's not full dress-up wear, but it can cover some cases, and they're more fit-flexible. With an non-tucked type of shirt, especially, it's not obvious that the waist has some elastic or a drawstring.

As I woman, I've found some loose-fit drawstring pants in linen that even dress up pretty well, for most situations where pants are acceptable, with a dressy top and jewelry. I bought linen ones in 3 colors, and a black lightweight crepe-y pair. I still wear them in maintenance. One of my friends has lovely ones in silk.