Tilapia as bad as bacon?

Options

Replies

• calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes most all tilapia is all farm raised in fish hatcheries and those ones are not good. They have been found to carry the bad omega.. but if you research where you tilapia comes from.. make sure its wild and not farmed.. that's the only way it can be bad for you.. fresh/ wild is good .... Farmed is bad good luck
    Source, please?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    ALL the fish you eat should be wild caught, period.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Uhhh crap, I eat tilapia all the time!!! I thought it was a go-to diet food, no?

The only way Tilapia could be as bad as bacon is if you pan fried it in bacon grease (and even then, it wouldn't be as bad). That's just crazy talk.

omg that sounds delicious.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    bacon? BAD?!:noway:
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Frying the tilapia in bacon fat just made it that much more good for you.....I'm not sure i'm following any "bad for you" accusation here whatsoever.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Tilapia isn't bad for you. Then again, bacon isn't bad for you, either.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm. Bacon.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bacon is good! I used to throw the bacon in a pan, and when it's done, fry my eggs in the leftover bacon fat! YUM and I was the skinniest kid and track field star in school :p Now I don't buy it but that's just because my husband doesn't eat pork :sad:
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think the real question is who told you that?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,718 Member
    Options

Of course bacon is bad for you especially if its fried in oil and it contains a lot of fat the kind that clogs your arteries.
    Who fries bacon in oil? Bacon has it's own oil. And while it does have saturated fat, bacon isn't as bad as you claim. An average slice is 46 calories. A large egg has more than that.
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options

The only way Tilapia could be as bad as bacon is if you pan fried it in bacon grease (and even then, it wouldn't be as bad). That's just crazy talk.
    omg that sounds delicious.

LOL
  • gettingthere120
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's as bad as bacon, but tilapia are raised on a diet of corn to maximize their weight...not exactly a natural thing for fish to be eating. This diet also allows companies to sell scary products such as tilapia "loins".

They're also low in heatlhy omega 3 fatty acids and high in omega 6 fatty acids, which have been associated with negative effects on the heart.

If you are interested, here is an article from the New York Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?pagewanted=all

I don't touch the stuff myself, but I'm sure it's fine in moderation!
  • Mmmary212
    Options

Of course bacon is bad for you especially if its fried in oil and it contains a lot of fat the kind that clogs your arteries.
    Who fries bacon in oil? Bacon has it's own oil. And while it does have saturated fat, bacon isn't as bad as you claim. An average slice is 46 calories. A large egg has more than that.

I do. Especially if it's turkey bacon, but regular bacon too (but reg bacon gives me headaches sometimes), there's not enough fat in the turkey bacon and it sticks to the pan. Dollops of bacon fat in the pan first.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    there's no reason to put oil under regular bacon. Just start it off over a low-medium heat until it starts letting out its own fat and THEN you can turn the heat up. But don't turn it up too high, you don't want it smoking.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Frying the tilapia in bacon fat just made it that much more good for you.....I'm not sure i'm following any "bad for you" accusation here whatsoever.

I think the issue here is comparing bacon and Tilapia. Not necessarily saying bacon is bad, but it's not as good as Tilapia from a calorie and fat perspective. If I ate bacon as much as I ate Tilapia, ounce for ounce, I probably wouldn't see the results I was looking for.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Wait bacon is bad?

Nothing burps better than bacon! :bigsmile:

As written by the 1980's club. The fat that clogs your arteries is caused by excessive consumption of sugar, and no exercise.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that talks about Tilapia, and how it is not as healthy as some people believe because it is low in Omega 3, and high in Omega 6.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/articles/2008/07/11/popular-tilapia-might-not-help-heart
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes most all tilapia is all farm raised in fish hatcheries and those ones are not good. They have been found to carry the bad omega.. but if you research where you tilapia comes from.. make sure its wild and not farmed.. that's the only way it can be bad for you.. fresh/ wild is good .... Farmed is bad good luck
    Source, please?

I would like to know, too, since pretty soon all fish will have to be farm raised. If commercial fishing does not change, wild fish will be a thing of the past.
  • Mmmary212
    Options

I think the issue here is comparing bacon and Tilapia. Not necessarily saying bacon is bad, but it's not as good as Tilapia from a calorie and fat perspective. If I ate bacon as much as I ate Tilapia, ounce for ounce, I probably wouldn't see the results I was looking for.

I eat more bacon than tilapia...BECAUSE it has more fat, so I get better results :) (and bacon tastes better)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Here is an article that talks about Tilapia, and how it is not as healthy as some people believe because it is low in Omega 3, and high in Omega 6.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/articles/2008/07/11/popular-tilapia-might-not-help-heart
    Not all fish are high in Omega 3's. There are oily fish that are high in Omega 3's, and there are non-oily fish that aren't. Doesn't make them unhealthy. Canned tuna (both in cans and the pouches) is actually very low in Omega 3's, does that make it an unhealthy fish?

Only fresh tuna is high in Omega 3.