What do you do differently when you have a cold?

Options
Do you eat maintenance calories? do you still do any kind of exercise? what?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ha! Today I have a beastly cold. I still managed to do my stretching routine, and then the pool (which helps with congestion).

However, if I have a fever, or am dragging my tail, I will either do a lot less or rest up. Pushing yourself when you are sick can be counterproductive. It's a personal decision.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It depends on how bad I feel...not all colds are equal.

If it's just some congestion, light exercise might help clear it up a bit. I'll go for a walk outside to get some fresh air. But, if you're really exhausted, then just rest.

I generally don't eat any differently when I have a cold.

For sure, though, do not go to a gym, pool, or any indoor public facilities. No one else wants to be exposed to your cold.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really get into the weeds of calories and all of that when I'm sick. In the big picture, all of that is completely immaterial. I do whatever I need to do to get myself healthy again and what that is depends on how sick I am. I've laid in bed for days doing nothing and eating very little...conversely I've been ill and had a ferocious appetite and I don't stop eating. None of it matters in the short run as long as I'm recovering.

My only real rule when sick is that I don't engage in any kind of public exercise...no gym, no gym classes, etc. Most of the time I just go for walks if I'm up to that and generally steer clear of more strenuous exercise to let my body work on the more immediate problem at hand.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    One of the blessings of weight loss is that I seldom get sick anymore.

I am also grateful that practicing yoga and the related breathing techniques, my sinuses no longer bother me.

My experience the few times I’ve been sick is rest, and eat whatever I feel like. I find I am either off my chow, or ready to eat and refuel. It’s only for a couple days anyway, and not worth stressing over.

Can recommend those boxes of chicken broth in leiu of tea. A minute or two in a mug in the microwave and you’ve got something (comparatively) nourishing and comforting.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's a really good question. I've gotten a cold while dieting and stayed only slightly over my plan, drinking a lot of tea and hanging around the house.

Apparently, binging Netflix cures colds, so that's what I do. 😵

I also do the thing of drinking chicken broth. My wife makes a large amount of it and freezes it. When I'm sick, I thaw out a block and eat it for lunch and dinner. I've also bought cartons of it from the grocery store. You don't need to add much to it, but a few veg (frozen or otherwise) works well.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    If being sick kills my appetite, I don't force myself to eat, I just keep on up liquids. If being sick does NOT kill my appetite, I eat the same amount I normally would for a non-exercise day, not more. I may include more spicy foods, since they help to clear my sinuses.

As far as exercise, I usually skip it during the initial stages, since I'm allowed three free "skip the gym" days per quarter (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, etc). Once I'm feeling better except for something small (a nagging cough, for example) then I'll resume exercising as normal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    Whatever eating route you choose, recognize that scale weirdness may occur: Inflammation occurs when ill, increases water retention; that chicken broth (if you go that route) may be salty so increase fluid retention; eating less or more changes the food residue in transit in your digestive tract on its way to becoming waste; that gunk in your sinuses is mainly water and has weight.

Maybe the scale will play nice, but maybe it won't. If it doesn't, don't let it freak you out. Let it ride until you're well over the cold, see where weight settles out. You don't need one more source of stress.

Personally, I'm inclined to eat nutritiously; let lowered appetite (if it happens) lead to eating less; let increased hunger lead to eating a little more, but be a little self-insightful about the potential for stress eating (or eating because I feel tired and sorry for myself). If I feel like exercising, I will, but keep it moderate (and not somewhere that exposes others!). (Sometimes exercise helps, actually.) If I feel like sleeping more instead, I will.

The worst of it will be over in a few days, in all probability, then you can go back to your healthy routine. A few days is a drop in the ocean of life. Do things (within reason) that help you feel better, and help your body fight the cold (nutrition, rest, over-stress avoidance)
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I usually just am not really that hungry when I'm sick...more-so because I am just in bed and not doing anything. But I *do usually get drinks, and snacks that I think are tasty and something like Ensure to drink if I'm not eating. ***I would not worry about calorie intake during being sick. Just get better.

I am also more cautious about working out when sick as well. Especially with covid (and the possibility of complications/long covid hanging around). There is fairly good evidence that even with a 'mild' case of covid, that doing too much too quickly can lead to long covid symptoms including random lethargy and just general your body going wacky stuff. I don't want that to happen...and in general as I get older I'm much more focused on letting my body rest when it needs it vs. getting back to work/on the grind.
  • fskhw9fssb
    fskhw9fssb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve got covid after 4 weeks following the prescribed calories of my fitness pal. Chinese medicine dr says because body resistance lowers due to less calorie intake. Due to fever, headache, sore throat, cough, malaise and muscle pain, I stop all workout, lie in bed all day but still follow the restricted calorie. Recovered now but still consulting Chinese medicine to prevent long covid complications. Shall start my routine workout and activities again. I want to lose 10 lbs (was 116 lbs, now 111lbs) and am half way through already. Hope my goal can be reached by 4 weeks time.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 913 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I haven’t caught a cold in years, the biggest thing that would change is I typically would stay in and do as much from home as possible, including any light exercise depending on how I feel.

Would hope that others would stay home as well as a courtesy to other gym members so as not to spread their respective colds.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm still feeling a bit sick, itchy throat and sneezing a bit and my ears are blocked! Its been like a month, I should probably go to the doctor.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    I eat what my body tells me it needs and accepts. Might be as interesting as microwave curried sausage with liquorice candy, bitter lemon and spicy pepper crisps, or just white toast with a tin of beans.
  • LeaMarieM
    LeaMarieM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how bad the cold is. If it's just a little stuffy then I proceed as normal. If I feel like crap then I just rest up. IF I'm hungry for something then I eat it. I figure my body is fighting hard enough it doesn't need me to tell it what to do.