Why should I track macros?

Can someone please explain why I should track my calories and macros. I understand that I should be in a calorie deficit and track protein for muscle growth and repair. But why fat and carbs. I want to know so it will be easier to make the effort every to know why it’s important. Thank you

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited May 2023
    Well, it's calories for weight management. Macros for health, or nutrition.

I don't try to hit any particular macros other than getting enough protein, since my default eating style is not-enough-protein.

I do try to hit fiber, calcium, potassium, and iron because if I don't pay attention those get low quickly. Yes, I know those aren't macros.

Up to you on how strict you think you need to be. Obviously you need fat and protein. Carbs and fiber are abundant in fruit and vegetables and we all know fruits and vegetables are good things.

From the Most Helpful posts:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    I track protein for the reason you mentioned.
    Fat can be interesting to track if you have a tendency to eat too little (fat is necessary for hormone health,...).
    Carbs can be interesting to track if you do exercise that requires that you fuel properly, or perhaps if you sometimes have a low energy level and if you wonder if it's linked to your carb intake.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Most on here just hit their protein levels and let the rest fall where it may.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    edited May 2023
    In the context of weight loss, it allows one to adhere to that calorie deficit more easily and in a more calculating and strategic way.

More nuance says that protein is king in a deficit with the quality and bioavailability of that protein taken into consideration. And an essential nutrient for amino acids.

Carbohydrates and fat are the bodies energy sources, you can mix and match those however you see fit. Many use carbs as their main fuel, some use fat as their primary source with both of those strategies having various amounts of both, except carnivore where most of the diet is protein and fat with so little carbs it's considered 0. Fats are required essential nutrients for EPA and DHA both omega 3's, and we also need some dietary fat for certain bodily functions. Carbs are not essential for survival, so not technically required but they are a source of fuel and nutrients.

Does a person have to count calories to lose weight, no, many are successful that don't, but it does allow you to see the journey as it unfolds and to intervene where needed, is it more successful, no not really, most diet strategies fail, including this one but the thought of being overweight or worse, obese, has enough people paying admission to every weight loss strategy there is, over and over again.

Personally I don't normally count calories and I'm low carb, just for disclosure. imo. Cheers
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Like the others above, I make sure I hit my protein goal of 90-100 grams. This means the percentage of total calories varies. I also aim for 25+ grams of fiber and to reach the micronutrient goals MFP tracks. I don’t care about fat and carbs as long as I’m covering the rest and am maintaining or losing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    @GrahamHorganOnline
    So.

You obviously already know the answer to this question, I read your profile.

...and looked at your pics. Well done.

So are you just wanting a thread about it? Because there have been hundreds of explanations about this...or why did you post this question? What are YOUR thoughts about it, since you're a success story!

:flowerforyou:
  • GrahamHorganOnline
    GrahamHorganOnline Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2023
    To everyone. Thank you very much for you responding. Your answers have been very helpful.😊

@cmriverside hi. Thank you for your positive comment. 😀 I had to update my profile slightly. I didn’t look at it in quiet some time. I’ve tracked calories and just protein for the last few years and I love have good success with it and I enjoy it. So why fix something that’s no broken you ask? I got a notion the few days ago that I might be missing out on something since I’m not “fully tracking” as one of me repliers said above that calories if to manage weight. Protein for muscle and. And then carbs for nutrition and health. I like that. It made it simple for me. I guess I don’t have to track them all. I could just ensure that I am getting in whole foods regularly and healthy fats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Can someone please explain why I should track my calories and macros. I understand that I should be in a calorie deficit and track protein for muscle growth and repair. But why fat and carbs. I want to know so it will be easier to make the effort every to know why it’s important. Thank you

Essentially when you track one, you are by default tracking the other. Your macros are the composition of your calories. 4 calories per gram of each carb and protein and 9 calories per gram of dietary fat. I personally don't do a whole lot of hand wringing about macros or trying to hit my macro targets. I have my protein set to what I feel is a bare minimum for me and usually exceed that pretty easily and considerably. Everything else falls where it falls...my normal eating pattern is generally around 1/3 for each. The only reason I would feel the need to play with them is if I was having fitness performance issues or satiety issues...which I don't, so I'm all good.