To Lift or Not to Lift??? THAT is the Question!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Her reasoning is correct, you do lose WEIGHT slower (Although you lose FAT at the same speed or faster!). Her CONCLUSION is ridiculous. Unfortunately, medical professionals these days are often not up-to-date on fitness and prevention health, as they are focused only on identifying existing medical conditions and treating them. They know you need to lose weight, but they're often not the most qualified to help you, and don't stop to think. What you really need to lose is FAT (me too, that's why we're here!), and her logic doesn't hold up. This isn't actually a real dilemma, you know the right answer. I recommend either smiling and nodding, while ignoring her, or finding a second opinion from a medical professional who understands weight loss and fitness.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Lift!!!! I love strength training. I love how my body changes with strength training. I’ve learned along the way to not put so much focus on the scale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    zombie thread from 2013. Lol even my old signature is still there. But for those who want to know, lift. Because if you just do cardio only, you'll not only lose fat, but muscle that you don't incorporate as well. So some of that big weight loss will be muscle and that only lowers your metabolic rate more (although it also goes down with weight loss). To keep it higher, lift to keep muscle active.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Let’s remember:

Lose weight = maintaining a caloric deficit.
    It doesn’t matter how the caloric deficit is achieved. If calories in are less than calories out then weight will be lost.
    Notice I said weight and not fat.
    When we lose weight we lose a combination of muscle and fat.

Exercise = growing muscles. Any exercise will grow muscle. There are differences between cardio and strength training and the impact on muscle growth.

IMO, the best workout is the one you do. So, do the exercise you enjoy and actually do it.

As you’ve already seen, the results will come.

Take care.