May long weekend the start of summer

Options
chriszulu99
chriszulu99 Posts: 12 Member
Steam a carrot and you can eat three. Eat a carrot raw.....maybe three bites.

Time to start transitioning from oven cooking to salads and fruits.

It seems a protein shake can have enough calories to be a meal once you add everything.

Whey protein powder
Banana
Milk
Plain or vanilla yogurt
Blueberries

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    Steam a carrot and you can eat three. Eat a carrot raw.....maybe three bites.

Time to start transitioning from oven cooking to salads and fruits.

It seems a protein shake can have enough calories to be a meal once you add everything.

Whey protein powder
    Banana
    Milk
    Plain or vanilla yogurt
    Blueberries

Clearly your appetite works differently from mine. I can demolish a big ol' stack of raw carrots, happily. Yeah, it takes more time. I've got time. ;)
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,713 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for raw carrots - I eat them every day, winter and summer - prefer them raw, a nice crunchy snack in the afternoon.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, raw carrots give me hiccups, nearly without fail. Not crazy about steamed. Give me stir-fried or roasted or in a stew or pilaf.

And, to what I think is the general point of the OP, yes, I don't use the oven much in the warmer months. I shift more to things that can be cooked quickly on top of the range or in the microwave or eaten raw. I probably do more eating out or carryout (takeaway) in the warmer months as well, to spare heating up my house.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    Not a dessert fan and that shake is basically a dessert. But yeah, it's warm enough to get the BBQ doing more of the cooking but it's not because my kitchen warms up, because it doesn't very much or at all. Protein will come in the form of a big fat steak, who knows I might throw some carrots on the grill too. :) Cheers.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    One more for the raw carrot fans. I can eat an entire bag of raw carrots - I don’t really understand why anyone would be limited to 3 bites only? Weak jaw muscles? 🤷‍♀️

Also I have never and will never accept that a protein shake, no matter what you add to it, is a healthy alternative to a meal!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Also I have never and will never accept that a protein shake, no matter what you add to it, is a healthy alternative to a meal!

I don't see eye to eye with this. I love a homemade pumpkin protein shake for lunch - it's absolutely humongous, gives me a whopping amount of protein, tastes great (although my family wouldn't be caught drinking it, what do they know) low calorie, and filling. My soon-to-be 96 year old aunt often has a smoothie for dinner and finds it just right. Different strokes and all that, but I wouldn't completely dismiss shakes and smoothies as meal replacements out of hand.

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm in the minority with the OP. I can only eat a few raw baby carrots before I feel full. Roasted or grilled carrots seasoned properly with a bit of good quality oil? Yes!

But I also agree with doing less oven and stove top cooking in the summer and eating more cold and raw foods, such as salads.