Which is better, whole wheat or whole grain

Options
when it comes to pasta and bread. I know it has to say 100%, but thats the only thing I know lol

Replies

• phnx72
    phnx72 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about it lol I thought they were the same thing :/
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Whole grain
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    100% whole grain is what to look for. From what I understand if it says "whole wheat" it can still have some refined flour in it.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i just make sure it doesn't have flax in it...but i would assume whole grain is better

eta - i'm horribly allergic to flax. it makes my skin blister.
  • ramblingirl
    Options
    i just make sure it doesn't have flax in it...but i would assume whole grain is better

Why don't you eat flax?
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I look for whole grain. Of course, my sweet hubby says I should look on the bird feed aisle for my bread, but I know he is just kidding, right honey?
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options

why do you say make sure it does not have flax in it?

Jean
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options

Just a question. Why no flax?

I personally seek out flax because of the omega-3 to 6 ratio, which is beneficial to those like me who eats nearly vegan. Are there negative issues with flax that I'm unaware of?
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Whole grain is lower on the glycemic scale than whole wheat making it slower to be digested and absorbed, thus may be a better choice for diabetics and people interested in weight loss.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

I LOVE flax in anything I can get it in!
  • emily115
    emily115 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks but is whole wheat still healthy?
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I go for whole grain because it is high in fiber and provides more bulk for a full feeling. I don't understand the no flax thing though. Flax is high in Omega 3, lowers the overall calorie count, and is also a good nutrient.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As you said, the important part for the label is to say "100%". It can say "whole wheat" OR "whole grain" and that doesn't mean it's solely that. In fact, if you look at the small print, above those words may well say "Made with". Which means it's in there somewhere, but "enriched" flours may make up the bulk of the ingredients. On the ingredient list, it's best if the first one is "whole wheat flour." If you're after a whole wheat variety of bread or pasta, that's the ONLY flour that should be listed. If you're looking at a mixed grain product (bread, tortilla, etc.), then just make sure that you're not seeing "enriched". (And btw, since someone said somewhere on the the forums that refined flours must be better because they're enriched w/vitamins and nutrients, that's only because they've been stripped out of the flour by the processing so they have to add them back in!)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read (whether it be on the internet or in a magazine) or listened to (on Dr Radio Sirius XM) says Whole Wheat, not grain or multi grain, but 100% whole wheat.

I have no reasoning or explanation for this though... Who is an expert anymore?
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If it says 100% Whole Wheat and 100% Whole Grain, I would say they are both good. It means that they contain all whole grains. The 100% Whole Grain would probably have other grains besides wheat in them (like oats) but are still 100% whole grain. The one to watch out for is multi-grain which does not mean that the grains in the bread are whole grains. The multi-grain label catches many people, thinking they are getting whole grains which they probably are not.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My opinion, based on my own research... Sprouted Wheat Grain bread is the best way to go. It's lower in wheat gluten and easier to digest. My favorite is Ezekial bread. I love their 7 grain version as well as their raisin bread, and they have bagels as well as tortillas.

Your best bet for pasta is organic brown rice pasta.

A "healthy" whole wheat bagel registers on the Glycemic Index exactly the same as a package of skittles. "What does that mean?" You ask..... it means that once it's digested, your body cannot tell the difference between that "healthy" whole wheat, and basic sugar. And this is how your body sees most grains.

So to lower your chances of bread and pasta causing you to take a ride on the blood-sugar-roller-coaster... stick with brown rice flour pasta and SWG breads. Also, replace white rice with brown rice, or replace rice all together with quinoa (pronounced Keen-wha), which is the grain with that will affect your blood sugar the very least. In addition to being low on the glycemic index, each portion also contains 6g of protein, the highest of all grains.

Good luck and happy eating!

God bless!
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You have to check labels. Some say whole wheat or whole grain, but also have tons of other "crap" like HFCS, preservatives, etc.
    I always buy 100% whole wheat but check the label for all natural ingredients!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i'm allergic to flax. which is sad because i love the texture taste and how good it is for you.
  • ramblingirl
    Options
    i'm allergic to flax. which is sad because i love the texture taste and how good it is for you.

bummer! Know how you feel...I'm allergic to soy :(
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat is a simply a type of whole grain. Anything that says that is made from from 100% whole wheat is also made from flour that is 100 % whole grain. Refined grains have had their bran and germ removed; whole grains, in contrast, contain both. As a result, whole grains are healthier than refined grans. I like eating 100% whole wheat bread. But I also enjoy eating bread that is also made from oats and barley. It's fine to eat bread that doesn't say it's 100% whole wheat so long as the bread say that is made from 100% whole grains.